1. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow midwesterners I'm already itching for the spring days November was cold,but I managed to ride to the end of the month, but I'm anticipating more cold weather in the days ahead. Looking to my fellow inmates for some winter reading suggestions? I've read all of Peter Egans Leanings I & II, The Perfect Vehicle: What It Is About Motorcycles, The Vincent in the Barn last winter, and tried to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance a little over my head for my first moto book. Any suggestions, reviews? Has anyone read any of Charley Boormans books at all? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. playharder

playharder Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Wisconsin, here are a few of my recent reads,

Motorcycle Adventurer - a story about Carl Stearns Clancy, the first person to ride a motorcycle around the world in 1912, written by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier, a noted around the world motorcycle traveler and writer in his own right.

India, the Shimmering Dream - an autobiographical story about the first overland trip to India in 1933 on a Puch motorcycle written by Max Reisch.

Stealing Speed - a story about how a German scientist who worked on the V1 and V2 rocket programs during WWII, stayed behind after the Russian occupation of East Germany and created much of the technology upon which all modern two strokes are based and had it stolen by the Japanese, written by Mat Oxley.

Fay Taylour, Queen of Speedway - a story about the most successful woman speedway racer in England, ever, who ended up being banned in England in the 1920s, moved to Australia to continue racing and then continued racing cars. She died in the 1980s, but not before seeing the English finally lift their ban on female participation in motorcycle racing events, written by Brian Belton

Lost motorcycles of the 1920s - a collection of short stories about many of the now obscure motorcyle brands, mostly English, that were created and briefly flourished during the 1920s. Written by Roger Fogg by using old notes from Jack Bacon.

John
  3. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Shop class as soul craft
  4. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was the book about the guy who quit his job to run the Isle of Man TT?
  5. JohnInKansas

JohnInKansas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ "Riding Man" by Mark Gardiner

That the one you're thinking of?
  6. BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished " the Man who would stop at Nothing" - Great book....
  7. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the one! I should have put that on the Christmas wish list.

http://www.ridingman.com/

The book: Riding Man
    The movie: One Man's Island
  8. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
    The riding man looks good I'll be looking at getting that book for sure.
  9. atomic frog

atomic frog pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer:
    Ghost Rider by Neil Peart of Rush fame
    Truck, a love story by Michael Perry (Wisconsin author)
    One Man's Wilderness, Richard Proeneke
  10. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
  11. ribmtrider

ribmtrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  12. ribmtrider

ribmtrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a moto book, but I just finished Bob Lutz's new book, Car Guys vs. the Beancounters, very good book.
  13. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a motorcycle book, but an amazing read, "Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War," by Karl Marlantes.

I'm not a critic or a reviewer, I don't know what else to say except go get this book and start to read it, I doubt you stop reading until its done. It's available in Kindle, and also as an unabridged audio, I've read it, then listened to it.
  14. mogwai

mogwai humorless prick

Oddometer:
    My local library has a decent selection of books on tape and I have been listening to Great Courses for the past couple weeks. Neat stuff when you don't have to study for the test, and I'm becoming wicked smart. :augie
  15. jped

jped jped

Oddometer:
    From Sydney to London. On a Honda C110? By Nathan Millward. Another inmate steered me to this, think on Amazon. Brought one for Brother, he liked also. Lots of pictures.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Check out passion in the wind by alan leduc.
    You can get It on kindle or nook for 2.99.
    Its a really good book.
  17. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I just started reading the Kurt Wallander books (starting with Faceless Killers, the author is Henning Mankell), on the recommendation of my very good friend and mentor, dfc.

I also just read "No Country for Old Men", which was a fascinating read. I read it in a day. It's not especially long, and the style was unusual and really grabbed my attention, so I couldn't put it down.

I also find myself spending a reasonable amount of time reading the Clymer CB750K manual. :D

Otherwise I don't read moto books much. If I want to read some good motorcycling tales I just go check out the ride reports section of ADV, which fills me with inspiration, fear, shame of my own meagre attempts at motorcycle touring and a huge sense of derring do.

Recommended.