Winter Ride 2010 Farm Rules Apply Party On!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by chain, Dec 19, 2009.

1. DieselTwin

DieselTwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any BACON?:dg
  2. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks fun, and relatively close to stl. There is not some crazy initiation is there?
  3. DieselTwin

DieselTwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl nooooo

Do you dance?
  4. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Here we go...:lurk :lurk
  5. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  6. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    I can help; will bring 1 truck and 1 saw:deal

radek will use the axe:lol3
  7. z987k

z987k Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a hatchet :rofl

Also I've got 4 1/6bbls of beer to donate. ~20gals :freaky
  8. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
  9. catzass

catzass Triple Pilot

Oddometer:

Would beer battered bacon be any good? Another question, was the rock thrower that was there last year Skinner's. Do I need to bring mine this year if Skinner isn't coming?
  10. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes, Fresh Crappie and Bluegill...

Got Any?
  11. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:

When in doubt...
  12. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mutt
    Rich is bringing his new fryer
    Runner's bringing an axe for diesel (and cookies)
    Alien Dave' bringing a scooby do mystery machine and prom dress.

How about you? What you got
  13. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    pistols, whiskey and a propensity for reckless behavior
  14. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    So are you saying...

propensity for breaking the established rules of society, ...

or

self-control and propensity for criminal behavior are the same...

either way I'm good
  15. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sand Ridge State Forest is closed for cutting after the end of January...

Not to worry, I got wood :deal

Shrimp Boil?

This is a good recipe for birlin swimps, don't have to follow the ingredients 'zactly, but follow the method!
    Boiled Shrimp Ingredients:
    8 gallons water
    1 whole box salt (or more to taste)
    8-ounce can cayenne pepper
    6 medium yellow onions, coarsely chopped
    ¾ stalk celery, coarsely chopped
    6 large heads garlic, halved crosswise
    6 whole lemons, thickly sliced
    8 ounces Frank Davis Granular Seafood Boil
    2 pounds country smoked sausage, cut into pieces
    20 medium red potatoes, halved
    10 ears fresh (not frozen) corn, halved
    2 pounds small white button mushrooms
    20+ pounds 26-30 count shrimp, thoroughly washed
    1 bag party ice
    Old newspaper for covering the table
    Cocktail sauce for dipping
    Remoulade Sauce for dipping
    2 rolls absorbent paper towels

1. Combine and prepare ingredients
    2. Set up a high pressure burner, propane tank, and 60-quart pot.
    3. Add the water to the pot and bring it to a rolling boil.
    4. When the water is ready, drop into it the salt, cayenne, onions, celery, garlic, lemons, seafood boil, and sausage.
    5. Boil together all the seasoning ingredients for about 15 minutes to create a rich seafood-boiling stock.
    6. Put the potatoes in the pot, let the water come back to a boil, and boil them for 10 minutes.
    7. After 10 minutes, put the corn into the pot, let the water come back to a boil, and boil the half-ears for 8 minutes.
    8. At the end of the 8 minutes, stir the mushrooms into the pot, let the water come back to a boil, and boil them for 5 minutes.
    This technique is known as “back-timing” and is used to make sure every ingredient in the pot comes out perfectly at the same time.
    9. Now it’s time to add in the shrimp. Put them all into the pot, stir them around briskly, let the water come back to a boil, and boil them for exactly 2 minutes (or until you can see an air space develop between the tops of the shrimp shells and the meat of the shrimp). When that happens. 10. Immediately turn off the fire, remove the pot from the hot burner grate, and drop into the pot—evenly over the shrimp (which at this point will all be floating) the bag of ice. You will notice at this point that all the shrimp will immediately sink to the bottom of the pot! This is when they start picking up the seasoning (that doesn’t happen while they are actively boiling).
    11. Now let the shrimp “soak” in the spicy water for at least 12 minutes. After that time, you can begin sampling them, like every 5 minutes or so afterwards, until they “spicefully” and perfectly suit your taste.
    12. All that’s left to do is to spread the newspaper out on the table, remove all the shrimp from the pot, drain them thoroughly, then place them on the newspaper right down the center of the table, along with the cocktail and remoulade sauces.
    Mangia! Welcome to summertime in the backyard!

==========
    Chef’s Notes:

This recipe can be either halved or doubled while still maintaining both the flavor and seasoning intensity.
    You can use a natural gas hookup to boil seafood in your back yard, but propane creates a hotter flame and brings the water to a boil much faster.

Whenever you buy a new propane tank assembly specific for boiling, make sure you get one with a “high pressure regulator.” The low pressure kind won’t give you the intensity of heat you need to boil volumes of water.

You can boil your shrimp inside a “seafood basket” (if one comes with your boiling pot) and simply lift it out to let the shrimp drain before scattering them out on the newspaper-covered table; or you can simply use a “wire seafood skimmer” to take the shrimp out of the pot and let them drain before bringing them to the table.

Oh—keep in mind that you will need either a long-handled spoon or a wooden paddle to stir the shrimp while they are boiling. Short-handled spoons only burn off all the hair on your hands and arms while stirring the shrimp.

Same deal wit da cwabs:
    This recipe is for approximately 10 gallons of water and will take care of about 6 to12 dozen crabs (one or two batches using my pot). Six dozen is usually considered a bushel. This is a two step process... boil the vegetables, then boil the crabs. Vegetables (to be eaten with the crabs)
    4 onions cut in half
    2 lbs potatoes (small)
    3 Cloves of Garlic
    4 ears of fresh corn - (shucked and snapped in half)
    ---------------------------
    4 cups fresh whole Brussels sprouts (whole frozen will also work)
    4 cups fresh button mushrooms
    1 - 2 lbs smoked sausage (your favorite)
    Any other stuff you like...!
    Seasonings A [for the vegetables]
    1 - 8oz. bottle (1 cup) of liquid crab boil
    1 - box of salt
    6 lemons cut in half
    6 oranges cut in half
    1 onion cut in quarters
    1 clove garlic cut in half
    20 Bay Leaves
    Seasonings B [for the crabs]
    1 - 8oz. bottle (1 cup) of liquid crab boil
    1 - box of salt
    2 Tbs. Creole Seasoning
    2 Tbs. Onion Powder
    2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs. Black Pepper

Dip
    1 - cup mayonnaise
    1 - cup ketchup
    2 Tbs. mustard (regular or creole)
    1/2 - tsp salt
    pinch black pepper
    pinch cayenne pepper
    1/8 tsp. liquid crab boil
    Pinch of garlic powder
    Other stuff you can dream up
    Taste and adjust as you like....

Before going on here I know you may boil more or less crabs. The seasoning mixture above is for 10 gallons of water. If you use less water you MUST reduce the amount of seasoning and vice-versa. It's all proportional.
    Cooking:
    Rinse the crabs off well. If they have come from the beach (sandy area) purge them by soaking in water for about 30 minutes.
    Light the fire under the water and add "Seasonings A" to the water squeezing the lemons and oranges. Bring the water to a boil. Let simmer for 15 - 30 minutes. The longer the better.
    While waiting for the water to boil fix the first 4 vegetables and put them in an onion sack. After the water boils for 15 minutes put these in and boil for 10 minutes. Add the remainder of the vegetables to the sack and boil another 10 - 15 minutes.
    If you use frozen corn put it in the second batch.
    Get somebody to start making the dip....
    I use this method because if you put all the seasonings in at the beginning the vegetables will pick it up and you wind up with some of it too salty and too spicy. If you like it like that, hey dump it all together. The kids won't eat the vegetables if they're to spicy. I separate the vegetables because the first batch takes a little longer to cook. If you put it all together it's hard to find the mushrooms and brussel sprouts because they will have disintegrated.
    Take the vegetable sack out after they're cooled and add the rest of the seasonings. When the water returns to a boil dump the crabs in and stir. Bring to a boil and boil for ten minutes and shut the fire off.
    Add two two-liter jugs of ice (don't break them apart) and move them around. I keep those in the freezer just for this purpose. Spray the sides of the pot with a light mist from the garden hose a few times every few minutes. The objective is to cool the water down so the crabs stop cooking, and start soaking up the seasoning. Stir every few minutes until the crabs sink a little. In about 15 minutes from the time you turned the fire off start tasting. If they're not to your liking let them continue to soak tasting every five minutes. Don't worry, they're not cooking any more. When they're the way you like them set them to drain and remove them from the pot. Let them air cool for several minutes.
    Note: I must caution you that crabs come in varying degrees of meat content. Some will be packed with meat, some will be half full. Normally a batch should all be about the same degree. When soaking keep in mind that the thin ones will pick up the seasoning fast so taste them earlier. In a general sense if you purchase fresh crabs around the full moon they will have more meat and fat in them.
    Take the sack of vegetables and set them in the water for a minute, no longer because they'll soak up the seasoning quick like.
    If you have a second batch just heat the water and do it again but add no seasoning unless you want a spicier batch.
  16. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    So when do you need the cash for the shirts?
  17. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring shirt money with you, I'm busier than a whore in a mining camp, gotta get shirt order in by Thursday, may still be pushing the limit.
  18. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just thought I would remind YFF's that this is a farm ride and farm rules apply ( Skeeter is Keeper of the Rules) basically, if you don't bring it, you won't have it,( and bring enough for the whole class) All I will be providing is piece of cold hard ground upon which to lay your head, and maybe a little fire. You veterans know the drill. If you all want to boil shrimp, or anything else, I got a pot of water.

If you are a whiner, a sissy, a just a plain asshole, don't bother coming (except Mutt) you can come.

I plan to do ride this year, weather permitting, the Guzzi is crying for attention.

Mom may be making a pot of chicken Gumbo, but you didn't hear it here
  19. drwalker

drwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Chain and fellow inmates... I will bring the shrimp pot and I have some ice fishing bluegill fillets for the fryer!Looking forward to a ride,I took a short blast on my new to me 1984 Guzzi Le Mans III yesterday and still can't get the grin off my face!!!:D:D:D
  20. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    Cbxtc6 just arranged for the keg of Shiner!! :clap