Winter Riding Boots?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BWB75, Nov 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BWB75

BWB75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on winter riding boots?

The decreasing temps have begun to lend a certain sense of urgency to the task of finding winter riding boots. The TCX Heros are great for warmer weather, but they don't keep the toes very warm below 50 degrees or so.

In the Dainese line, I looked at the Fulcrums, but they seem to be out of stock in my size (and only my size). The Latemars had a great design, but seem to be discontinued (and they are designed to move air, not necessarily the thing in cold weather). My wife enjoys her Tempest-D waterproof boots, but she is a weekend rider.

The Klim boots look amazing, but maybe not for winter. They are hiking oriented (which would work well with another hobby, Geocaching). For winter riding, it is about insulation and waterproofing, not breathability.

I commute in everything short of ice and ride only on roads. Until there is ice, I want to keep doing daytrips and weekend rides.

What do the inmates suggest?
  2. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a rainy 6 hours at temp between 5 and 8 Celsius in my Alpinestar Roam2 waterproof and my toes were nice and toasty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check motorcyclegear.com regular and closeout sections.
    They have very good reviews,good sizing information.
    Have bought a number of items from them over the years:thumb

If you don't mind spending the money,suggest Daytona Roadstars.
    $$$,but they will outlast many other boots by a wide margin.
    In my experience,buy one size small,as they tend to run large.

JR356
  4. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Here is an out of the box solution.

Keep your boots ...just add some heat.

Hot-tonics makes an excellent adjustable boot/toe heat systems ....been making them for years for ski and snowboard boots.

They will worlk just fine in your moto boots

Scott
    brgsprint likes this.
  5. BWB75

BWB75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good idea, Shredderscott. Would not have thought of that.

Too late, though. Based on the well informed praise from JR356 and some people in other threads, I went ahead and sprang for the Daytona Roadstars. (Got spousal permission first, of course. Not stupid!) Instead of ordering on-line, I rode over to the local Cycle Gear here in Huntsville. That way I can show ID and get a ten percent discount. Worth it when spending this kind of money.

The boots should arrive later this week. I'll post first impressions when they do.

Celebrated with a ride to Birmingham for lunch. :)
    Shaolin and JR356 like this.
  6. Johnny4x4

Johnny4x4 Hope 2 B Cool Sumday Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride most every day, I have been wearing my Sidi Adventure Gortex when I have to out at 4:30-5:30am.

I think boots are only part of the equation, good socks make a difference, and some people use the hand warmer packets in their boots.
    bmwannnabee likes this.
  7. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy some good merino wool socks as well. Smartwool or Darn Tough are what I use. Sporting goods stores carry them for hiking.
    NJ Moto likes this.
  8. Ultrarunner7

Ultrarunner7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sidi adventure boots are excellent. Make sure you have some room in your boots. If they're too tight, your feet will still get cold. What has helped me the most is a heated seat. It warms up your ass but also, the large vessels in your legs are near the seat surface(on my bike) and this makes a huge difference.
  9. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear BMW Allrounds. Goretex and all leather. Super durable. Mine are 5 years old with 64k miles of use and the sole is barely scuffed. Not hot in summer nor cold in winter (NJ here). Enough volume inside to wear thick socks if needed.
  10. BWB75

BWB75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW Allrounds are awesome. Not sure what happened to mine. I may have given them away when my motorcycle was destroyed in shipment. Anyway, they are gone now. This time I decided to try the Daytona Roadstars.

Thanks for the recommendation, JR356. After some additional research on my own, I determined that your view is pretty widely held among motorcyclists. I decided to follow your suggestion. I ordered from Cycle Gear, riding out in person to present an ID card that gets a ten percent discount. I had them shipped to the store to save another few dollars. Then the waiting. The days (all three of them) dragged on.

This morning, the e-mail came in that the boots would be delivered today! I spent the lunch hour at Cycle Gear, staring out the window, waiting for the UPS truck to pull in. (He was running behind schedule, of course.) . With just enough time left to make it back to the office within a dignified standard deviation of the end of lunch time, the truck pulled up and I as trying on the new boots.

I got the same size as with everything else, and sure enough, they felt a little big in the toe box at first. They were also stiff as hell. A few minutes of wear helped quite a bit, and I got used to them. It also became clear that there wasn't a lot of spare room, despite the roomy feel. A Dr. Scholls brand inner sole made them too cramped to get a foot inside, and they cinch up pretty tight around the ankles. I think the biggish toe feeling results from the rigid toe cup under the leather. It feels spacious in there. When I tried my well worn TCX Heros, I found that they fit the same way, only a lot lighter and softer. All this is to say, I think these will have room for a thicker sock when needed and fit pretty well.

The pictures show the boots. On the left are the Daytona Roadstars, on the right are my much-loved TCX Heros. (Yes, that is my dining table. And, my spouse found me taking the pictures. She gently suggested that another location might be even better for boots than the dining table. I had to agree on that.) Both are size 41 European. You can see that the Daytonas are much bigger boots, pretty much in every dimension. If you place them sole to sole, though, they are exactly the same foot size. The difference is all padding, layers, and height.

IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0005.jpg

The Roadstar's construction is just plain beefy. Thick leather, steel shank, rigid toe, rigid ankle, shin plate, large ankle plates on either side, foam and leather reinforcements all over the place, and a double layered ankle piece so that pants can tuck outside the waterproof membrane. It is a wonder they can bend at all.

I put maybe 25 or 30 miles on them, just banging around town and a few exits on the freeway. They are much warmer than the TCX boots in the winter weather. They block out the elements more, and they have multiple layers, so the bits of leather or fabric that rest on the foot are not also in the wind.

Another observation is that the bottoms are super sticky. They don't look super aggressive on internet photographs. They are not the Vibram type waffle soles that are more familiar (and which I really like). Instead they are some sort of compound that seems to glue itself to the pavement, or to the rubber on the motorcycle floorboards. At 80mph, these boots did not shift or try to move with the wind the way other boots have done.

These would absolutely not be my choice to hiking a mile into the forest for a Geocache. They are not in-betweeners that are just as happy at the mall as on the bike. These are clearly riding boots, meant for long rides, like touring and all weather commuting. The TCX Hero boots, in contrast, are great for day rides on back roads and are so comfortable and shoe like that I regularly wear them as casual shoes. But, the TCX boots reveal their shortcomings on long highway rides. The Daytonas are riding boots, without compromise. Based upon today's experience, they are ideal for long rides and/or cold weather. We'll see how they hold up in rain (Gor-T ex usually does pretty well).

I look forward to spending a lot more time in these boots!
    JR356 likes this.
  11. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great review!

It's especially useful to me to hear that the Daytona sizing seems to match TCX sizing. I know what size I am in TCX, and typically that is going to be the same across the other brands (47), but sometimes you get an outlier (Forma, some models of Gaerne) and either need to go down or up a size.

I would not have thought to go down to the Cycle Gear (the one on South Parkway, I assume) for Daytonas, but I keep forgetting they're partnered with Revzilla now so basically you have access to anything Revzilla sells. That should be especially useful for stuff like shoes and clothing where there's a good chance things might need to be returned/exchanged. Don't have to deal with the return shipping hassle if you are dealing with the local store.
  12. BWB75

BWB75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Hammerdown. Your kind words mean a lot.

Having spent a couple of hundred miles with them today, I do think they are a little big. Maybe half a size. Wish there were a way to compare one size down, but there are no "in person" type showrooms for these boots in my Alabama town. That said, they also feel like they would have a hard time closing if they were any smaller. A regular innersole made them too tight, so a thin innersole may be in order.
  13. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am an Alpinestar fan. I have now their Web Gore-Tex. Made in Italy quality boot. I'm a perfect euro size 45 in Alpinestar. These boots are warm and dry. For added warm and dry I have been carrying Frogg-Togg heavy duty over boots for years. Here in Fl. waterproof, dry feet is a must if you ride everyday. The FT's and Web boots are grade A for warm & dry feet unless you drive into a pond or river.
  14. King Rat

King Rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sidi Deep Rain for me - totally waterproof for years (as in wade a river waterproof) and kept my feet warm and dry in absolute torrential rain for 1187 miles on one trip, one day (home to ferry was 1187 miles). Those Sidi boots are still going strong.
  15. BWB75

BWB75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those Sidi Deep Rains are some great looking boots. Very nice!

I added a thin inner sole to the Daytona boots. Now they are perfect. I used the thin, cheap little inner soles that came stock with a pair of cheap running shoes. They fit right to the edges of the inside of the Daytonas, suggesting that the Daytonas are true to size, at least in the horizontal dimensions. I think they may be a little more open in the vertical. Anyway, with this small inner sole, the boots fit perfectly. They will never be soft, bendy walking boots, because of the steel shank. But, they fit extremely comfortably, now. I think a little layer of insulation on the bottom also helps keep the toes warm.

They also are not enduro boots. Nothing dual sport about them. They are pure road boots. That is fine, because aside from maybe an occasional gravel or hard packed dirt road, they will not be going off road.
  16. King Rat

King Rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New boots for me and the 1150A.
    Boots and tyres have worn a bit since this was taken!

DSCN5221.jpg
    davyjones and BWB75 like this.
  17. 7t9cbx

7t9cbx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    daytona roadstars. A as for another thot i have heated gear,circulated warm blood into cold feet a none motorcycle boot choice would be a company names danner / they are vortex
  18. 7t9cbx

7t9cbx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gortex, sorry
  19. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have several sets of boots, love my BMW all arounders, but when things get really cold I wear my Alpinestars Toucan's. Last winter I left the house at 20 degrees and rode 1.5 hours to DC for a meeting it warmed up to 26 by the time I got there; no heated socks and I could still move my toes.
  20. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on number of other reviews and in my personal experience with Daytona,is to buy down one size.If you are typically a 44 in most boots and shoes,then get the 43's.
    I have 2 current pair Daytona's,the Roadstar and the Spirit XCR and bought 43 in both,even though I am a 44 in others including Oxtar/TCX,BMW,etc.

JR356