Winter Riding

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by toadl, Dec 6, 2012.

1. cobrags

cobrags Lost ADVR

Oddometer:
    Park any closer, I would be breaking a law. They don't want get away vehicles too close but then again who would want to ride in these temps(only the mentally insane).
  2. DangerDane

DangerDane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know right where that is, when I was a kid every time we drove by that mom would say be good we're droppen you off!

I have sheet metal screws in and it was a lot of fun went out to my folks few weeks ago all the fields are open for pissen round jumped on the snowmobile trials not to much tho piss people off with that. I mite go out this weekend chase my brothers on there sleds.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    New Years Day

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2300687353_TFZQT2B?width=640&height=480&albumId=27357298&albumKey=SfbNSP"></iframe>
  4. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    My winter beater, 95 KLR 250 I picked up cheap. I added heated grips, homemade wind deflectors, a modified tall windshield from a KLR 650, and a set of Trackmasters studded with the Aerostitch screw in studs. It's my daily commuter when temps are above 15 degrees, below that it's just to damn cold. :D
    I like the 250 for winter riding as it's relatively light and easy to handle and the low power output works well in slippery conditions.

[​IMG]
  5. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video. Riding the creek bed is a great idea for a new place to ride in winter. Encourages me more to get my wr studded for next year.
    Is it hard to kickstart a bike in the winter? Will the kickstart be slippery?
    The last minute of the video was the best. I enjoyed seeing the bike plow through the snow.
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I just put a trouble light next to my engines cases for about an hour before I ride and it starts right up.
  7. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still riding daily down in the teens. I am using heated gloves and jacket. Thermal underwear and riding pants keep NY business casual wear warm down to single digits. The versys still does not have wind guards so finger tips get cold in single digits but only have a ten mile ride. The wr is the steed for snow, but I rarely ride in that as cars are nuts.

sent from my perfectly sized do it all galaxy note
  8. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I was checking my calender from last year and I got in three rides in the first week of last year. I think I got in at least one ride once a week all winter last year. I haven't ridden since the beginning of November, mainly because I've been out of state since the beginning of November but I probably wouldn't have ridden anyway. Other than a lack of snow its been cold and windy here in Michigan. I miss global warming.:vardy
  9. playharder

playharder Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Still riding every day. Temps were down to minus 19 on New Year's morning, but today the expected high is nearly thirty degrees.

John
  10. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found wind guards to be a lot less effective then I thought they would be, but they certainly don't hurt.
  11. MPH

MPH 1290 SAR

Oddometer:
    Yeah, me too. I ride a VStrom commuting to/from work on dry days in the winter. The cold air blast that comes up from underneath the wind guard is HARSH as hell, and it hits the part of your hands that has less contact with the heated grips (fingertips, thumbtip). Below 20F, I'll throw on my set of Hippo Hands, which are the shiznit -- they create dead-air space around the grips, so the grip heaters actually have half a chance to keep up.

They do, however, cut down on fuel economy, as I found out (and then pushed that heavy bike about a mile to the nearest fuel station!)

Ride well and safe!
    Mark