Winter Riding

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alaskahack, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your weren’t very clear about your location. You’re in Eureka California & not Eureka Alaska, ain’t ya.
  2. partireper.it

partireper.it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am in California. I put some new tires in san Diego, dual sport but with ice on the roads I will get some studs...

3. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the studs on page 9 of this link. Your going to want them on the front and rear wheel

Check out that companies web site they are real easy in and out.

Bob
  4. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I think its getting to be almost 6 months since I've been on two wheels, and I'm starting to really lose it. Even my girlfriend is ready for me to go for a ride. I either need a snowmachine, studded tires, or a warmer place to live next winter.
  5. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:
    skeird... come on in and drool on some new toys. BMW & Harley floors are loaded up and looking pretty! :lol3
  6. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott, great shot and great board!

Yeah, I do have fun on my studded tire KLR but come Spring I really start doing a lot more 'boarding.

Been getting a bit more into the color green lately. :wink: Gonna christen this baby later today. Yahoo fun! :D

[​IMG]
  7. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    Sweet board, Mark! I wish I could come with you today, should be pretty fun out there with all of this AWESOME SNOW WE'RE GETTING!!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:evil:1drink
  8. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    So guys, I just made it to Vancouver and I am staying at the International Hostel. I will spend some time tomorrow visiting hardware stores and motorcycle stores to buy some stuff to deal with the weather from now on.

If someone is from here and would like to join me while I go gear hunting is more than welcome.

I don't have a phone but I will get notifications on this post if you ever reply.

Studs: If I buy them here should I mount them on right away or wait until the road it's actually iced?

Does anybody in Anchorage know where I can find a motorcycle metal crate?

Thanks

Gionata Nencini
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get with Brendon on here. Here works at The Motorcycle Shop here in Anchorage. I don't know what you are riding, but if you let him know he can set a new bike shipping crate aside for you. What you pay is between Brendon and you. 907.561.1165 is there number.
  10. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    Hi Drunk Uncle (nice nick name),
    I just made it to Dawson Creek and hope to be in Anchorage within 4 days. About the crate I am looking to a metal one, just like the ones I used in the past when I shipped the bike from continent to continent.
    I used to find them for free at any motorcycle shop as they import bikes from Europe or Japan and are left with all those dismounted crates in the back of the shop, just like junk!
    They were always very please to give me one for free so I hope to repeat that one last time in Alaska to ship the bike.
    Normally I can fit it in a 250cc crate cause I take wheels and side cases apart and squeeze it all to reduce cost for the freight.
    Thanks

11. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if you don't have housing arranged, you are welcome to stay with me and my wife. What bike are you riding? I'll talk to Brendon today when I go check the new water boxer. My number is 573.528.5212.
  12. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just talked with Alaska Cycle Center, Anchorage and they advise No free crates as they now return all crates to manufacture.
    Happy to help construct for $300-$500.
    They also advised all roadways are iced over and not suitable for riding.

Looks like roads are currently "Bare" to Beaver Creek?
    http://www.511yukon.ca/map/map0B.html
    Whitehorse might be last chance where STUDS go in.
    In Whitehorse there is Yukon Honda on the north side of town, see John, maybe he can help.
    Call them for Whitehorse road conditions 867/6684451

Here are other shops in Anchorage to try.
    https://www.google.com/search?sourc...rage&gs_l=hp..1.41l37.0.0.0.12938...........0.

Following along and hoping you arrive safely.
    BTY, did you ride the Lost Coast?
  13. babarnette

babarnette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used Alaska Classic Motion to ship my bike from Anchorage to Jackson, MS last year. It cost around $1,000 and included a metal shipping crate. If I had my crate in AK I'd give it to you but it's back in MS at the moment.
  14. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Just buy nails,hammer,& some 2x4
    And make one.
  15. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    Dear Uncle, the accomodation is sorted with another adv member who invited me to his place few days ago. I guess the final challenge will be to find that free crate for the bike.
    Cheers
  16. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    Just made to Mucho Lake and at this point I am wearing 6 pais of socks, 3 pairs of gloves and several layers on my body. So far so good. Sad to know that Whitehourse is my last clear road as I hoped to get to Anchorage much easily.

Regarding the crate, I still believe I will be able to find a free one, call me stubborn but I will try my way before wasting 500 dollars on a peace of metal!

Thanks for the info about the bikes shop in Whitehourse, I will stay there one night, hopefully tomorrow if there are no changes on the weather...

Rode 800 km today and planning on repeating myself tomorrow!

Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

17. partireper.it

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, don't worry, thir journey has teaching me that something will happen when I last expect it.
    Cheers
  18. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear your doing good. Let us know when you get into anhorage!
  19. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem, just wanted to help out. I did talk to the motorcycle shop today and they will crate your bike for you for 300 bucks or sell you a BMW crate for 150. Let us know when you arrive so we can share a beer. Good luck on the ride.
  20. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    It's so warm !!!!

Anybody riding tomorrow ??!!!
    :clap:clap:freaky