Winter Road Biking & Dirtbiking? Snowboarding gear??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MidasTouch, Dec 2, 2018.

1. MidasTouch

MidasTouch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I've let winter beat me my whole life. That changes now! Want to ride my MX bike around my farm and some trails in the snow and get a bike I can get covered in salt n slush on the road!

So I have absolutely ZERO cold weather gear since ive spent some winters in FL... Im thinking to spend about 400 max (ideally 150-200) if I can, on a better than decent water proof jacket and pants combo, ideally insulated as well so I can just wear an underarmour base layer and then a sweater or hoody over that and hopefully be warm.

Looking at ADV rain/snow gear its insane, id think snowboarding gear would be the best for rolling around in wet snow.... I am NOT concerned with any abrasion or impact protection at all. Solely rain proof and warm. I can figure out the boot/glove situation but the jacket and pants thing I dont even know what im looking for....

Perhaps a SNOWMOBILE suit is way to go? other than unlikely to be comfortable fit or being really baggy.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-titan-1-piece-suit

I dont need something built to last a lifetime either and plain black/grey/navy is fine.
    please advise.
  2. upperleft

upperleft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am In WA state and it doesn't get all that cold but I have done a decent amount of riding in the snow and below freezing temps. I am sure it is much colder in Pittsburgh.

I suggest going to goodwill and any second hand store and pick up a few different coats and pants and see what you like best before buying anything new. If I am working hard riding trails I usually stay pretty warm in my core and my hands, neck, and feet are the coldest. I would definitely invest in some good cold weather riding gloves, warm socks, and a neck/chin warmer. For me long Johns under riding pants and a wind breaker over my typical armor and riding jersey works well. If is colder something like a ski jacket and snow pants will work. Just remember if you are too warm and working your body you will get sweaty, when you take a break or start riding in a easier area and aren't working your body as hard the sweat will cool down and just make you colder. I always like to have a backpack so I can shed layers as needed throughout the day.

What ever you end up wearing make sure its comfortable and not restricting. Nothing worst then riding feeling like you are all restricted by a big puffy coat.

The second hand store if your friend. I bet you can get some stuff that will work well for you under $50.00
    therealjared likes this.
  3. snaggleXR650

snaggleXR650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta have layers. Use thermal underlayers made from synthetic materials, or merino wool. Under Armor has quite a bit at sporting goods stores. Then fleece type insulation for mid layer top and maybe bottom. Then WIND BREAKER / water resistance for the outer layer. Cheaper snow pants/jacket works great. Neoprene thin wet suit type gloves and some ski mask scenario under your helmet. Your chin and cheeks will freeze. Warm boots. Have zippers on top so you can ventilate when you get hot.
  4. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    My Triumph branded rainsuit is my most valueable piece of cold weather gear. It blocks the wind, all I have to do is wear good wool/poly or fleece layers under it. Good wool socks(real wool, read the label) and windproof gauntlet gloves are mandatory. My gloves are only medium weight so I can still operate controls easily, heated grips are well worth the investment.
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Someone has to say it: Dude, your (IMO, obnoxious) user name implies that you have unlimited wealth and you usually only post "for sale" ads for items costing big bucks (e.g., AM Vanguish, BMW 850, MV F3, etc.?) and you're gonna cheap-out on winter riding gear? Winter riding without good gear will suck! Why don't you use the profit from one of your sales to buy seem decent gear for godsakes! :photog
    MidasTouch likes this.
  6. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carhart insulated coveralls and through some cheap rain gear on top.
  7. MidasTouch

MidasTouch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    edit* got some gear in, a castle x snowmobile jacket for 150$ and their matching bibs for 155$ wore a UA compression top & bottoms under it nothing else and was sweating ripping my yz250 around my property for 30minutes. This is gonna work perfect on a road bike!