Winter/Rust/Corrosion

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by jeremy_283, Feb 14, 2016.

1. jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Central Missouri here. I just got a brand new KTM 1190 Adventure R. We got some sleet today which unfortunately means road salt and whatever else they put on the roads. There's suppose to be some great weather later this week and I have a pressure washer which I use under the principle of the fact it gets great coverage while applying optimal pressure to rinse stuff off... about the same as a garden hose but with a finer mist.

In the winter riding dry roads ONLY and washing off bike as soon as it cools down (same day) then dry with leaf blower is safe right?

Everywhere I read online people act as if winter road salt will kill a bike upon contact. I feel like it's blown a little out of proportion. I posted this in regional because I know different regions may use different chemicals.
  2. scrapper

scrapper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have experience with road salt on a motorcycle but I can see the road through the hole in my truck floor. I have a winter beater mountain bike within 2 rides the salt started to eat the paint off the fork.

Salt seems to get into every where it is some nasty stuff. Any UN coated aluminum will corrode fast.
  3. Chickengrease

Chickengrease A Real Deal

Oddometer:
  4. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I park mine but some of the winter riders will chime in that they coat their bike with WD40 or Clear Rustoleum before winter hits as a preventative measure.
  5. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    The road salt will pit chrome pretty fast. Rinse and remove as soon as you can. I rode my Ural one year in the winter and the fasteners and exhaust chrome were rusted/pitted faster than expected. Fasteners became a real problem to loosen when I needed to do repairs. Tough to clean the bike properly when you get in a two week stint of zero and below temps here in Minnesota.
  6. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-)

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't ride my very nice/expensive KTM (if I had one) in this road salt/calcium here in north central Indiana - but I do ride my 250 and 650 KLR's in it every day all year round, as long as I have a path thru the ice/snow. The grime will eat your bike in all the hard to reach/clean areas.

It's better if you only ride when it's dry but that is too limiting to me.