Winter tires for an adventure commuter?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Jason4, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I searched but didn't see a thread for favorite winter commuter tires. Does anyone have recommendations for favorites for winters in western Washington? My daily commute is around 40 miles round trip and include Chuckanut Drive and I'll ride every day that the temps are above 35*. I'm looking for tires for my KTM SAR and don't mind swapping them again in the spring when I'm likely to get out in more dirt again. I'm on a TKC80 front and Shinko 805 rear right now and have thought about a matched set of Shinko 804/805s but other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    Personally the 805 sucks on wet pavement. I'm running a 705 right now and for the price really like it. I have not spent a bunch of time on wet pavement yet. I have a TKC on the front right now. That's on my KTM.
    On my Strom I had 804 and 805 for a couple years now. Really never trusted them on the wet but wanted to wear them out that took over 10k, I just put a 704 front on and so far I like it but it still has nipples on it have a 705 waiting for the rear. this is my ride to work beater and I to have a 40 mile round trip.
    Jason4 likes this.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Michelin Pilot Road 5 should do you just fine. Not sure of the KTM SAR tire size, but there should be sizes for you.
    Sfcootz and Trinity_Session like this.
  4. Ruckusroid

Ruckusroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran 705's last year on my Tiger. My commute was similar to yours. Monroe to Kirkland on the backroads. The 705's did great, especially at their price point. I had 8k on the rear and it had some more treadlife left but was getting slick in the wet stuff. The front had 12k and still plenty of life left. My brother has a 08 GSA and ran the Anakee III's and swears by them in the rain and wet
    Jason4 likes this.
  5. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    +1 on the 705's.

I ran two sets down on my DR650 and got about 6,500 miles on each set. This was a 50/50 mix of commuting and trail riding.

I'm on my first set of 705's on my Buell Ulysses and they're getting pretty thin at 5,500 miles, but that was mostly riding 2-up with luggage, and its a 100+ horsepower bike...

I also ran the 804/805 on my DR650, and they're MUCH better in the dirt, but I don't like them on wet pavement. It's too easy to lock up the wheels on wet blacktop with the 804/805. I wouldn't trust them in the rain with a passenger or on a bigger bike.
  6. 2talltom

2talltom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I run Avon Trailriders for my commute tires. They're a 90/10 pavement tire. They've done great in all pavement conditions, and have lasted quite a while too. Currently have just over 10k miles on them, expect another 3k or so out of them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jason4 likes this.
  7. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No luck, I've got a 90/90-21 front and 150/70-18 rear. I'll look into Anakee 3s, the Avons and take another look at Shinko 704/705.

Anyone have any experience with the TKC70s?
  8. 2talltom

2talltom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe tkc70 is what was on my klr when I bought it. Granted they were getting towards the end of their lifespan, but they weren't really confidence inspiring on wet pavement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  9. Normallo

Normallo Dirt Convert

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Shinko 705s. I ran them on my AT last year and they're pretty good in the rain. Pilot Roads are also excellent in the rain but I had bad luck picking up nails with them.
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Pilot Road 4.
    One of the best wet weather tires.
    I run those on my 1190.
    Sfcootz and bensgone like this.
  11. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like they only come in 17/17 and 19/17 sizes, I need 21/18. They look to have been replaced by the Pilot Road 5 but I still only see 19/17 sizes. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Commiehunter likes this.
  12. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    I commute year round also. Have run the 705s for probably 80k miles on my strom. Never a problem, and they wear forever.
    Jason4 likes this.
  13. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pirelli scorpion STR?

Haven’t personally tested them but the lean angles and acceleration at corner exit I see my friend on a tiger 800 do are impressive!

They are durable too!
    Jason4 likes this.
  14. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode 705s on a GS to Alaska in the spring rain. Very confident on them. I've also liked the Avon Trekriders (a little more aggressive tread than Trail riders) but they wear out quick.

I believe Michelin makes a Pilot Road 4 Trail (maybe it's the Pilot Rain 4 Trail). Should be essentially the same tire, available in Adv bike sizes.
    Sfcootz and Jason4 like this.
  15. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden 804/805 for many, many miles on wet pavement with zero problems. R1200GS and Africa Twin.
    Jason4 and Commiehunter like this.
  16. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a set of the Shinko 705s, I'll report back when I have something worth reporting. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  17. twolane

twolane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm due for some new sneakers as well.
    Where are you guys getting tires from? I tried Nobel Rush and they quoted me list- almost double of online prices. I'm really not interested in bartering that hard.
    Seattle- Tacoma- Olympia area preferred.
  18. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Except for once when it was Thursday and I needed them for Friday, I usually buy online.
  19. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    You can try - http://www.cycletireswholesale.com/
    They are in Tacoma.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  20. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    www.americanmototire.com is good for tires and doing all kinds of comparisons. I've bought from them several times and IIRC they come from Idaho, but it could just be that the particular tire I ordered came from Idaho. :dunno