Winter travel?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AKjeff, Sep 26, 2007.

1. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope to be getting some time off this winter, Jan.-Feb., and am tentatively planning my first bike trip.
    So far my very rough, day dream plan is to take the ferry to Bellingham, WA. and stick to the coast until I get far enough south to be clear of snow and freezing weather.

I guess I have two question right now:
    1. How far south should I plan on going before I can head east? I know some of the passes in CA. close in the winter and I'd like to avoid the metro areas.
    2. Are there any weather related websites that others use for planning a trip like I'm proposing?

Thanks, Jeff
  2. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    wow never thought of that before... I would say probably all the way until highway 58 in southern california, then take interstate 15 to las vegas nv.

I think any other route will have the possibility of getting into higher elevations, but you could get lucky and get through any of the passes on the right day. You might try posting this in the pacific north wet forum or the other west forum.
  3. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Burton, I saw highway 58 when I was looking at the map. I was hoping to head east before that but it doesn't look like there are any other options, unless the weather is good like you mentioned.

I posted this in the PNW regional forum as well, thanks for the suggestion.

What I'd really like to do is get over to 395 to head south, I've driven it a few times. It would have to be a last minute decision while watching the weather.
  4. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to take 395 south? Is there anything along it worth seeing? Ive never been down it, tell me the good stuff:D

I know the 101 will probably be rainy and wet and cold almost the whole way down, but hey, the traffic that time of year should be great :thumb

Not to mention absolutely gorgeous:thumb
  5. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually when I'm heading south CA. is just between me and where I'm going, 395 seems to be shorter then I-5. Small towns, farm land, foothills, less traffic and no metro areas. It's a different feel then I-5.

OTOH, I haven't driven 101 south of central OR., so that would be some new scenery for me, and I haven't seen highway 1 on the CA. coast.

I'd rather avoid seeing San Francisco by motorcycle but I'll have to get used to city highway riding someday.

Thanks for asking, you gave me some things to think about.
  6. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:

Yabbut yer flucked now. :deal :lol3 Since we're meeting up in Sonoma County to ride to DVDaze (unless you bag on me and make me meet you in Lodi. :knary

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Ok, so the deal is, Hwy 1 and the 101 can be rainy and cold, but they can also provide stellar, empty riding conditions where you own the road during that time of year.

I've driven over 80 to Reno in the middle of winter, no snow on the road whatsoever, and not too god-awful cold. But I haven't ridden it. While up in the Lake Tahoe area at Christmas or New Year's I'm always amazed at how many bikes are on the local roads with snow all around. You'll want heated gloves/vest. So will I, but I'll have to rig something up (got the gloves, no hookup on the Fant).

You'll work it out - and we'll have a great time! :thumb :wings :clap
  7. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    Trip Check for your time in Oregon. Road cams and other stuff...
  8. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tempo, I appreciate the link.
  9. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    Oops, I forgot to post Washington's version.
  10. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    You can always avoid metropolitan traffic - anywhere in the USA. It may mean a 50 - 100 mile detour, but it will always be worth it. The old truck routes almost always go wide of a city - or straight through it if you get too close. But by looking at a map, you can find state or county roads that parallel the interstate and keep you away from high population densities.

These days you have to go farther afield because sprawl is taking over farmland and rural areas, but you still can stay out of the heaviest urban traffic.

So you'll never have to go to San Francisco, if you don't want to. :deal Besides, where we're going, we're heading due east and will miss both San Francisco and Sacramento traffic.
  12. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nixels, I plan on spending some time routing myself around areas, and if traffic gets bad I'll stop for some coffe and read a book or something.
    This will be an interesting trip, with a lot of learning as I go.
  13. rowansride

rowansride recreational menace

Oddometer:
    rode it a few years ago back in the fall... Leaving the oilrig i'm on near Herchel Island off the Yukon & NWT coast in ten more days!... fly in to SeaTac where I've bought another R100GS off my buddy in Seattle, Hope to be in Vermont by the 1st of Dec. Have to detour out to Virgina Beach, VA to see my dying grandpa before I head up the eastern seaboard.
    Back in 2002-03 I rode out to teluride on my way down to mexico & guatemala.... for new years. I left my campsite dec 29 near borrego springs CA and it was 104 f. that night in Cortez, Colorado it was four inches of fresh snow and 22 f. I got stuck in teluride for a few days (mostly as the result of a wicked new years hangover) but had no problems at all... Hell, I don't own a car at home in AK and do most of my grocery runs on my bike all winter.
    thank god for ice screws!
    take your time, you do fine.

I am looking for couches to surf along the way... Anyone?