Winterizing fuel injected bike

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MotorcycleWriter, Oct 27, 2019.

1. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    I’ve not winterized a motorcycle before. Draining the tank seem like it’d be difficult and I wouldn’t get the fuel injectors clear anyway. Should I just use Stabil and run the bike a little before storing? Full tank or partial? Remove or disconnect battery? Put on a lift to get wheels off the floor. Recommendations for assuring radiator fluid is of proper mix? Brake fluid change? Anything I’m missing?
  2. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    I fill the tank with non-ethenol fuel, add appropriate amount of Stabil, then drive a couple of miles. When I get home after doing this, I change the oil & filter, put the battery on a battery tender, and that's it. I save any brake fluid changes until spring- brake fluid absorbs moisture when exposed to air & the winters around here tend to be a bit moist... I change the coolant in the spring too. Just make sure you aren't running straight water in the cooling system before you put it up for the winter.
  3. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marine grade stabil (purple)
    Full tank
    Battery on a tender
    Change oil and filter
    If bike has a center stand put it on it, removes some weight on tires, few pounds extra pressure in tires
    Make sure bike is clean(muck can turn to rust)
    Breathable cover
    Should be ready to ride in spring
  4. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just keep riding the bike
    As long as there isn't snow or ice on the roads....
  5. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel injected don't need anything. Probably best to fill with gas before storage, otherwise just let sit. Might take the battery inside, otherwise just charge once a month. Fuel injection eliminates the carb bowl stale fuel/clogged jets as there is no bowl to have small quantity of fuel which was what always went stale. Stabil does nothing, just fill up and don't bother with going to extremes.
    zaphoid and MotorcycleWriter like this.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    full tank, add Stabil, drive, change oil, pull battery, plug exhaust. thats what I do. still riding here in Anchorage AK but not for long....
    MotorcycleWriter likes this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Head to Southern AZ and into Mexico. No winterizing needed.
    MotorcycleWriter and dtysdalx2 like this.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally don’t do anything, it is ready to be ridden. This makes it easier to jump on the bike if we get some nice weather in the winter. If you don’t ride it at all, maybe start it every couple months and bring it up to operating temp.
    MotorcycleWriter and Bultaco206 like this.
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a 5-6 month off-season, depending. Other than making sure the bikes are clean, and on stands, the only thing I do is pull batteries and bring them in the house as my shop isn’t heated. That’s it.
  10. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    In my experience, pulling the battery and giving it a 12-hour charge every month or six weeks or so is better than just leaving on a tender.

If the bike is in a fairly humid environment, make sure the gas tank is full to avoid rust.

Stabil or Seafoam a must if you have ethanol gas.

Oil change a good idea prior to layup.
    MotorcycleWriter, 23103a and Beezer like this.
  11. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I find winter is also a good time to get valve clearances checked, pull swing arms and repack the grease in the bearings, make modifications that are planned. Just a good time to get those things done to prevent downtime during the riding year.
    racer1735 and MotorcycleWriter like this.
  12. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    :y0! Can we leave November 1st?

Anyway, I just get Non Ethanol fuel in mine and keep it clean in the garage. I use it once in a while in the winter when it gets in the 40's.
    Bultaco206 and MotorcycleWriter like this.
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
  14. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Texas, I rode year round except for the few days we had ice storms. Typical morning commute was on dry roads with temps in the mid to high 20's. They didn't use salt/brine except when ice storms happened. When I moved to upstate NY, riding season ends fairly early, although I tend to push it a bit. As long as they haven't salted the roads & no ice on the road, I'm good to go. Riding here typically ends around Thanksgiving and restarts early to mid April. I've ridden as late as Dec. 26 a couple of years ago. The salt they use here corrodes the bikes terribly, and I've had bad experiences with black ice while riding, particularly on early morning rides. (Gone flat side down so fast my feet never left the pegs!) So when the salt goes down for the first time of the season, the riding season is over for me.
    Even though my current street bike is fuel injected and lacks the float bowls of carbed bikes, I prefer to not take a chance of the tiny ports in the injectors getting clogged with gelled fuel- hence the Stabil + non-alcohol fuel. Last year I broke a wrist on my dirt bike & my street riding season ended early without being able to prep the bike for winter hibernation. It still had a nearly full tank of the usual crap gas. I just added Stabil to it, ran it for a bit, and all was good for the winter. Battery still went on the tender tho.
  15. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    This is how I store my EFI bikes and carbureted power equipment:

Marine Stabil (1oz per 5 gal) and TCW3 2-cycle oil (1oz per 5 gal) I n the gas tank.
    Go for a short ride to get treated gas through the system.
    Change oil and filter.
    Ride to the gas station and top off the tank with gas.
    Store on center stand with a breathable cover.
    Connect battery tender.
    Say goodnight for the winter.

The TCW3 marine 2-cycle oil and full tank of gas prevents rust and corrosion in the gas tank and fuel system. I use it in all my small engines. It really helps protect carburetors but also lubricates fuel pumps and injectors. The small amount of oil equates to a 640:1 mix. Hardly anything to foul the plugs but enough to keep a protective coating on everything. In the spring, just ride. The fuel will still be fresh.

JT
    MotorcycleWriter and theDoktor like this.
  16. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
  17. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in West Texas (actually the far North part of the state, but for some reason we call it 'West)....my riding season extends year-round. However, we get days, sometimes a week or so, where we get snow, ice and temps in the low teen's (such as this week). My bike is fuel injected and always gets ethanol-free fuel (at least when I'm in the region....can't speak for what's available away from home. I also dump a suitable amount of Stabil or Sea Foam in the tank before I fill up. My ride to the gas station is 15 miles, so I know the stabilizer has plenty of time to get circulated thru the system. My bike may sit 2 weeks or so between rides, but I've never had an issue starting or running (same procedure with my former carbureted bikes).
  18. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    FI bike you may get away with doing nothing...........but............

Another vote for full tank, non ethanol, stabil and battery maintainer which will pretty guarantee you will no storage issues.

This Seafoam thing keeps coming up, its naphtha, pale oil and alcohol........so.........you hunt down and pay extra for non ethanol fuel. Than add % alcohol back in ........that makes no sense.
  19. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Throw some stabil into tank and fill it up and go for a ride and park it. In spring I start it up and go for a ride.
  20. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why?