Wireless Charging options and experience?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by SFC_Ren, Aug 17, 2020.

1. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't been able to find anything here except for one thread back in 2018 in regards to wireless charging on the motorcycle of a cellphone while navigating.

IP68 waterproofing is a requirement as well as wireless charging while I'm shopping for a device to use as a primary navigation tool to replace a Garmin waterproof device for navigating tracks off road.

What if any experience have you all had with wireless chargers and which ones? With which phones?

Thanks in advance for your replies
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Samsung S7 Active with Juiced Squeeze. Ive been using the S7 active for 5 years or so as my primary GPS and the perfect squeeze since it came out 3 or 5 years ago. It's been flawless. S7 Active has been the best phone I've used for this purpose. Being the active model, it comes pretty beefed up, is waterproof and just about the right size. It's been flawless.

Charging has always been the elephant in the room using a phone on a bike. For me at least. Total pain in the ass. I wore out one charging port on the first S7 Active, but mostly wore out cables. They get to where they don't hold anymore. The juiced squeeze changed everything. It'll keep the phone at 100% on full brightness for as long as you need.
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  5. cBJr

cBJr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I have one 500ish km ride with this guy.

RAM-HOL-UN14WB-V7M.jpg

It can kick a samsung into quick charge, with a thin case, and had no issues with heat (surprisingly) ran my S6 with all the bells and whistles (bluetooth and Wifi on) with the screen maxed all day without issue.

.....sadly that was all I got to do with it before I got locked down again.
    scootertrog and SFC_Ren like this.
  7. CVBruce

CVBruce CVBruce

Oddometer:
    RAM has a newer, wireless charging mount. It seems not to be overly secure should there be a big shake-up (insert your best description of an unintended "off" here). It's found here: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN12WB

CVBruce
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  8. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    More X-Grip crap. I hate the X-Grip.
  9. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up going with the Ram quick grip and it works great with my Samsung S8 in portrait mode as a navigation device on my KTM 790. No issues on any terrain and I also bought the ram locking knob to go with it so the casual thief walking by doesn't remove the phone charger/holder off of the bike.

10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quad Lock has a wireless charger for motorcycles. I've used their products with my iPhones for several years with no issues at all. Quad Lock cases are very secure and the quality of their products is as good as it gets.
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  11. spleev

spleev n00b

Oddometer:
    Plus one on the RAM Quick Grip on my 2014 KTM 500EXC. I'm using with an old LG Thinq G8 not on cellular with Gaia maps downloaded to it. Very little time on it so far but there's a locking strap on the back that seems pretty secure and charging works with a thin case.
    gps scotts.jpg
    SFC_Ren likes this.