Wiring AUX lights on a 2005 CANBUS GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mouthfulloflake, Jul 13, 2019.

1. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Where do I find a switched power source for the Relay?

is there the blue wire on the back of the alternator like the oilheads?

that is only powered when the bike is running?

if not, tap into low beam?

also, if I tap the high beam to trigger a relay to bypass the dimmer is it going to cause any issues on the high beam circuit with CANBUS?
    I know NOTHING about CANBUS

can you tell?
  2. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    I used the low beam power to fire a relay. That way, aux lights stay off until motor starts.
  3. Desert Skies

Oddometer:
    Also, canbus will be unable to detect relays on those circuits as the relay is in the mA range where the H7s are in the Amps range.
  4. Desert Skies

Oddometer:
    IMG_2714.JPG I have both fog (low mounted broad beam) and driving (high mounted focused beam) on my 05. Here is how I wired them.
  5. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Nice!

Yeah I am bouncing between running light or low beam, as the trigger

it might be nice to leave them off until the bike is running.

On the older bike, I had a dimmer in the circuit until the high beams was on, and then a SPDT relay bypassed the dimmer.

I would like to do something similar, just trying to find some space to mount a dimmer, I guess right over the battery.
    ordered some relays will get it wired up next week.
  6. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I simply tapped into the yellow wire on the connection going to the evap canister thingy hanging on the left side of the fuel tank to trigger the driving lights relay.
    mouthfulloflake likes this.
  7. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    yeah, thats not the same on my 2005

the green wire has voltage after its running, and also for a about 20 seconds after you switch the key off.

it actually drops down really slowly 20 seconds after the key is off
  8. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had mine done like this for 50K miles.
    [​IMG]
  10. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I guess I just do not understand why I would need that?

I read about it and itseems like a neat gadget
    But if anything my modifications are typically geared towards roadside serviceability

Not more software based gadgetry

I can swap a relay out at any parts store or on the side of a trail ( I carry spares)

lewisjr1 likes this.
  11. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
    The EzCan helps with easy wiring accessories (4 circuits) to a can bus equipped bike. No splicing into the OEM harness and no error codes.
    It just works great.
    The EzCan gives you many options to set up i.e. the aux lights. Various brightness levels, separate for the daylight and for the night. Separate for the low beam and the high beam. It gives you option to "strobe" the aux lights with the flash button for the high beam, also to strobe them when the horn is pressed. You can wire the aux lights, where when a turn signal is applied, that side light goes off (like in so many cars with the LED day lights). Otherwise both aux lights go off when a turn signal is applied. Another circuit can power an additional break light(s), and you can pick an option where they flash on deceleration or braking (or both). Like with the front aux lights, the brake lights can be adjusted for brightness, both tail light and brake light. The fourth circuit can power other accessory, and you can set the time, when after the bike is turned off, for how long it will stay active after.
    After you set up the unit via a lap top, you can change some settings (i.e. turning it on and off, the brightness..) via the left handle bar controller.
    And if anything were to fail, you can just unplug the unit and the bike works like before (sans the additional accessories of course)

No, you don't need it, but it makes it more simple. I didn't add aux lights to my '09 GSA, but changed the OEM fog light bulbs into the HID.
    On my '15 GSA, at first I went the route like you want, but I could only turn the aux lights on and off, and their switch was not waterproof. The EzCan made a huge difference for me. Highly recommended, even for the $$$....
    Cheers,
  12. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Gotcha, ive added nearly all of that functionality to my 1100GS, with nothing but cheap and common relays.
    ok, you cant get the timed relays at most autoparts stores, but I can also live and ride on without the timed relays.

so thanks for the suggestion, but probably not for me.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Signal for the relay I usually get here:
    [​IMG]
  14. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I just took them from the connector on the new chinese LED headlight ( which is pretty great BTW)
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    No, on an '05 R12GS you won't see any benefits of Hex EzCan/Canopener/etc thus you don't "need" it :deal

Once you upgrade to LC R12GS w wonder-wheel you may have different opinion - all those devices came to rescue ie. help integrate various functions (lights adjustability, added lights flashing with horn etc) on LC R12GS/A/RTs etc which previously were nowhere on the map. Further more, with space underneath the seat becoming smaller and smaller, there's simply no room for old fashion fuse-blocks like BlueSea/Centech, relays etc etc etc... So, as the technology evolves so do the devices available to use such technology...

Many owners of older GS/As were more than happy with BlueSea/Centech/etc so you should be able to find what works for you too...

Quite few options for trigger wire: parking light, low beam or my personal preference GPS adapter hot lead - successfully used that on both my '07 and '10 GSAs to power fuse-block as it's switched power, can be removed from the bike without any intrusion into bike wiring harness etc etc - ymmv... :deal
    mouthfulloflake likes this.