Wiring BMW Navigator IV

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Old Penguin, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Goldfish_GR

Goldfish_GR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another up in this old thread.
    My 2014 LC has the GPS relevant equipment pre-installed (selector wheel and wiring) but the cradle was missing. The previous owner removed it and could not find it.
    I ordered a second hand from ebay, which I received today.
    I will go on and install it later tonight. I have a question: there are two plugs in the wiring of the cradle, as shown in the photos at the beginning of the thread. Do i have to use them both? I thought that only one goes to the bike.
    Does anyone have any sort of manual for this?
    \Thanks
  2. cyclonus1969

cyclonus1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same situation here with my 2015 gs. I just hooked up one set of wires. The other connector hangs loose and is not used. I don't know what its for, but my selector wheel works with just the one set of wires hooked up.
  3. Goldfish_GR

Goldfish_GR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your response.
    So with one of the pairs connected, the wheel works and the navi charges without any issues?
    Do you know if I have to remove the right side covers to get access to the plug?
    I will install it later tonight. Hope everything works right
  4. cyclonus1969

Oddometer:
    I'll run down and take a couple of pictures, but yes with just the one connector, that I would call the power connector the wheel magically works. I installed it two years ago so I'm a little fuzzy about the details but I remember clearly having the same questions about the other connector, There was no place to land it on the GS.
  5. cyclonus1969

Oddometer:
    I un-tucked them so you could see the one connector is the magic connector that provides power and allows the control wheel to work purple red black wires.

The other smaller connector is still a mystery to me and is unused.

The connectors on the GS were within reach, I did not have to take any covers off to do my install.
    nav5.jpg
  6. Goldfish_GR

Goldfish_GR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Many many many thanks!
    So it's that easy, no need to take off the right side cover.
    I will install it tonight and come back to you if needed.
    Thanks again!
    cyclonus1969 likes this.
  7. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Just thinking out loud here, but could the other connecter plug into the bike computer? I use my navigator on my sertao and my 1200lc. I can only use one connector on the sertao (provides power) O
  8. Goldfish_GR

Goldfish_GR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well,
    I installed it as we discussed earlier. The Navi IV that I have starts fine, and after I acknowledge the entrance message, something weird happens: the message "energy source lost, the device will turn off in 30 secs" appears and disappears every 1 second. Once I remove it from the cradle, everything works fine (it says low battery but then I can use it until it dies). No issues when I plug it into a usb wall charger as well.
    Any ideas?
  9. cyclonus1969

Oddometer:
    I finally get a chance to legitimately say, "It's all greek to me."

The GPS is intermittently receiving power from the cradle. This could mean the contacts on the cradle are bad, or the contacts on the back of the GPS are not perfectly clean.

Look for any corrosion. If any contact has a green patina it will need to be cleaned. If you have a friend that has a Garmin or a BMW Nav IV through VI to test in your cradle it would be nice to eliminate your device from being the potential problem. NOTE the garmin devices will not be able to use the wheel control, if you come across one for testing. the handlebar wheel remote only works on the BMW versions. If another device works in the cradle then you know you are in for a new GPS. If they do the same thing intermittently get power then the problem is in the cradle, or worse, it's the power coming from the bike.

I have 3 bikes and I have this cradle in one form on another on all the the bikes. I have experienced a problem close to this from dirty contacts. If you lucky that will be the problem for you.
  10. Goldfish_GR

Goldfish_GR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hahah, indeed. Sometimes the correct use of language is quite a difficult task, even for us, Greeks!
    Back to the point, I already checked the contacts and sprayed them with a contact cleaner. Both the contacts of the cradle/Navi and the plug.
    I cannot do the checks you mention - my friends who have BMWs do not have this cradle.
    I begin to think that there is something wrong either with the harness of the cradle or the harness of the bike, with more possibilities for the first senario.
    I already emailed the eBay seller and waiting for his response. He has a very good rating (99.6% positive feedback, more than 1000 orders). Hope this will be resolved soon.
    If not, I will go to a friend who is working with electrical equipment (alarms, sound systems etc) to check the harness and see whether we can replace part of it somehow.
    Let's see.
    Many thanks again!
  11. Goldfish_GR

Goldfish_GR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The harness of the cradle was the responsible for the not working GPS.
    After a long story with the ebay seller and fortunately a full refund (I had to engage ebay since the seller was not cooperating), I went ahead and purchased another cradle (new this time).
    Does anyone have any idea where I can buy a spare set of pins and little metal pieces for the codeable lock?
    Thanks
    cyclonus1969 likes this.
  12. SWRoamer

SWRoamer Adventurer

Oddometer:

Bumping an old thread here, that I ran across while researching another NavVI issue. The second connector is only used on bikes that came with an onboard sound system (RT, K16GT-GTL, etc.) so just dangles unused on the rest, just as it is on my 2018 R1200GS.
    Best,
    DG
    cyclonus1969 likes this.