Wiring/powering a Garmin Zumo 660 via the existing 12V outlet?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by HLC, Oct 18, 2018.

1. HLC

HLC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can this be done, such that power is turned on to the GPS only when the ignition is on? Something like this (which is for the Garmin Aera aviation set-up)? GPS wiring.jpg
  2. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the GPS specs for what voltages it will accept. I have several Garmin Zumo 550's wired directly to a 12 volt battery in motorcycles with no issues what so ever. But do note that some GPS's will not tolerate a 12v input.
  3. HLC

HLC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info/warning. Here's what comes with the Garmin Zumo 660. The GPS cradle (top of pic) has a 12V connector for use in cars, but that top cradle is not for mounting on a motorcycle. It would be nice to have the motorcycle-specific cradle (left in the pic) with a 12V connector. But I can't seem to find one...
    upload_2018-10-18_15-58-34.png
  4. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like it would be the mount you want. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-11270-03
    Then get a RAM mount to the bike, whichever one works best for you, and an arm.

OR looking at the manual it looks like you can get the RAM square mount and bolt it directly to the back of the car mount you already have.

upload_2018-10-18_14-41-36.png

I cannot find anything on the voltage allowable for the 660 but looking at the schematics I have seen in the installation manual it looks like it can be wired directly to 12 volts to the mount.

Good luck.
  5. HLC

HLC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply, Lomax. The problem I'm having is not with the mount, per se, though. I need a GPS cradle wired with a power plug that goes directly into the 12V socket (that looks like the small picture in my first post). Or at least that's what I think I need to power my GPS via the 12V socket??? Or are there different GPS units what have direct-to-12V accessory socket wiring arrangements???
  6. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what your question/issue is? The tiny pic with the square thing-a wire loop-and a pointy thing depicts what? If your looking to plug it into an existing 12v receptacle it depends on plug/receptacle compatibility if they fit together. Whether stock USA cigar lighter type outlet or Euro DIN outlet type they are pretty much all wired to direct batt on-alla time voltage so if you're too lame to turn the unit OFF when you un-ass the bike, it will keep drawing power from the batt but minimal draw over a short time. If hitting the OFF button is too much grief/work for you, wire the female receptacle to the IGN ON side of your ign swtch. Otherwise God forbid ya gotta go old school and actually shut the unit down by pushing the button. A GPS isn't a serious voltage draw consumer so yeah you can slip into Starbucks for a bean juice and not draw the battery down. Parking it for days w/o turning the unit off may bite you on an EFI computer controlled voltage sensitive bike. Key is is hows the female socket wired.. switched or always on side of the elec system.
  7. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Zumo 660 comes with bare wires that you put your own connector on. I used a plug that fit an unused socket on my bike's wiring harness (powered only when the bike was on). You could install any connector you like- cigarette, SAE (like a trailer light hook-up), etc. both on the GPS mount and the bike. You first need to find out where to hook into your bike's wiring harness- that's bike specific. Also it's a good time to figure out what else you want the bike to power (heated gear, grips, usb for phones, driving lights, etc), because it's easier to do it all at once, rather than piece meal
  8. HLC

HLC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got it! Thank you!
  9. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like (to me only; no guarantee implied) the bare wires (fused) feeding the Zumo 660 are intended for 12 VDC: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/zumo660_InstallationInstructions.pdf

Other Garmins I have known accept only 5 VDC, as from a USB connection, or from a Garmin-supplied power cable with cigarette lighter plug (where the power is regulated/conditioned). Direct 12 VDC to these units can be hazardous to their health (my understanding).
  10. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hard wired my Zumo 660 twice, to the bike I had when I first bought it and then again to the bike after that.
    Yes, the holder with those bare wires are what you should use on a motorcycle.
    It's easy enough to think the 12V plug auto mount would be simpler....I did at first*...but the device differentiates between the two and will automatically power up in motorcycle mode if inserted in the bare wire mount and in auto mode in the other mount. You can override, but I think there are some features that may not be available in the automobile mode. (I think...not sure since it's rare and a long time since I used my 660 in the car.)

*I had my previous Nuvi550 set to plug into a 12V plug on my bike. When I bought the 660 I though I could do the same until I opened the box.

It's a bit of a PITA to hard wire, but once it's done it's done and you're good to go.
  11. SRV812

SRV812 n00b

Oddometer:
    I did what your picture showed, if got it right. I have a Garmin 395LM. I use a powerlet outlet with a usb port on my Africa Twin. So I used the supplied power cord. I cut of the end that goes into the mount for the power. I then rummaged through all my no longer used USB cords and cut off the male end of one. (good quality one) Cut the male end off. (after measuring the length I wanted) I then soldered and shrink wrapped it up. Looks factory. So its constant power as long as the USB end is plugged into the powerlet. No problem for me. I take the GPS off after riding anyway.