Wisconsin and WEST!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by LittleJoe, Apr 18, 2006.

1. LittleJoe

LittleJoe Llama

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I've got a bit of a trip in the works for September/October this year. My first big trip on a bike - and so
    my first route that will undoubtedly change. Heres the first draft - ANY suggestions on route alteration, stopping
    more often, stuff to see are greatly welcomed. Its a bit hard to follow in writing, so here's a link to a map
    http://flickr.com/photos/littlejoeuk/130084718/in/photostream/
    and also (I hope) a set of points for google earth that will help you work it all out are attached to this post for
    you to download. (Had to change it to a ".gpx" to upload, once you have it remove the ".gpx" and replace it with ".kmz")

Anyone who wishes to join me for any portion of the trip is more than welcome to, so long as you're good at changing
    tubes, tyres, oil etc... etc.. ;)

Day 1
    Madison, WI - La Crosse, WI - Approx 150 Miles
    The 150 Miles follows the interstate, and I'll probably take a different route as i don't really want to travel on
    anything bigger than a freeway.

Day 2
    La Crosse, WI - Worthington, MN - Approx 250 Miles (400)
    Almost clean across Minnesota in one day. 250 miles is a lot, but the idea of this is to see if what I've got down
    now is realistic.

Day 3
    Worthington, MN - Chamberlain, SD - Approx 200 Miles (600)
    another long day, but I haven't really got much to see until western South Dakota, Today I'll also travel through
    Sioux Falls and stopoff at the falls (predictably).

Day 4
    Chamberlain, SD - Somewhere just east of Badlands NP, SD Approx 125 Miles (725)
    A bit of a non-day, just an easy ride to set up an early camp somewhere just outside of the Badlands NP

Day 5
    East of BLNP, SD - Sage Creek Camp ground, BLNP, SD Approx 60 Miles (785)
    Now the fun begins! Sleep in a little today and then head out to the Badlands taking the Loop road and then the sage
    creek rim road to the stunningly free sage creek camp ground (but not before gathering plenty of supplies)

Day 6
    Sage Creek Camp ground, SD - South of Custer State Park, SD - Approx 100 Miles (885)
    Another Day in and around badlands, crossing under the park on lots of County roads.

Day 7
    South of Custer SP, SD - Sundance, WY - Approx 175 Miles (1060)
    County roads through the lower half of the state park(s) and then up to Mt Rushmore via the Needles scenic route for a
    Hitchcock re-enactment for my Mum. Then a 100 Mile blast through the rest of the park, finishing up about 25 Miles
    south east of The Devils tower. WYOMING BABY!

Day 8
    Sundance, WY - Buffalo, WY - Approx 150 Miles (1210)
    Set off to go see the Devils tower then over to Buffalo for maybe somewhere with a hot shower and a REAL bed.

Day 9
    Buffalo, WY - Cody, WY - Approx 200 Miles (1410)
    Plenty of scenic byways here - so a relaxed day following them over to Cody, may take a detour to Little Bighorn,
    adding an extra night out into this section.

Day 10
    Cody, WY - Flagg Ranch, WY - Approx 175 Miles (1585)
    Travel the 50 miles from Cody to the eastern entrance to Yellowstone, take the main loop of Yellowstone, stopping for
    some sightseeing (and hoping that it'll be quiet! 6th of September (ish)) Old Faithful etc... Exit through the south
    and camp at flagg ranch in the Tetons NP.

Day 11-13
    Flagg Ranch, WY - Helena, MT - Approx 300 Miles (off-road) (1885)
    Join the Continental Divide route and follow it up to somewhere near or in Helena

Day 14
    Helena, MT - Lewiston, Idaho - Approx 300 Miles (2185)
    Follow freeway 12 all the way from Helena to the Idaho/Washington state lane, stop in Idaho.

Day 15
    Lewiston, Idaho - Kennewick, WA - Approx 120 Miles (2305)
    Continue along the 12 until it becomes the 124, finally work out why all the fields are circular here! WHY!? oh
    curse you google earth!

Day 16
    Kennewick, WA - Mount Rainer, WA - Approx 170 Miles (2475)
    Buzz on over to Mount Rainer and attempt to camp on or around it - Ideally for free (as with most of my camping)

Day 17
    Mount Rainer, WA - Woodland, WA - Approx 125 Miles (2600)
    Take a big loop around Mount Saint Helens, following the Nf-25 and 90, possibly some unmarked tracks that are higher
    up? Finish up just south west of St. Helens.

Day 18
    Woodland, WA - Port Angeles, WA - Approx 230 Miles (2830)
    Cruise on up to get a good nights sleep and see the pacific for the first time (it counts right?) Perhaps camp on
    the beach, if it looks clean and inviting (and there's not too much chance of getting shot) Wake up early the next
    day and catch the 23$, yes 23!!! boat to Victoria, BC, Canada.

thus ends the usa, any thoughts so far? I still have 30+ days left to cross Canada, its gonna take a while to work
    out though. Bearing in mind I'm camping as much as possible, where I've put final destinations for days I am more
    likely to stop outside and camp somewhere a little more remote. Or, if I'm feeling expensive find a bed and
    breakfast type affair. Also where there are no specific roads It'll be freeways max as I'm only on a 250cc bike!,
    smaller twisty roads are what I'm used to anyway - I go to sleep on the big roads over there, toooooooo straight.

email me at "littlejoeuk" (somewhere around) that warm mail place.com
  2. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Hey dude, if ya need a place to camp or want to BS when your in the LaCrosse area let me know, I'm only about 20 miles from LaCrosse.

Looks like a great trip!
  3. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, on your schedule, Its pretty easy to make it all the way across Minnesota and SD in a day. 9 hours to the badlands would be no problem, I could do that on my XR650.
    Edit - Oops, I see your on a 250, maybe it will take a little longer.
  4. MNwilly

MNwilly RIP, my friend...

Oddometer:
    I think your schedule looks good, try to hook up with some members to save money(free roof/meal). The only thing is, be prepared for cold, and likley snow that late in the year. I've found the end of September, and 10,000 feet are unpredictable at best.
  5. LittleJoe

LittleJoe Llama

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan to me! PM'd you

but what es BS?
  6. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Bullshit (often abbreviated bull or BS) is a common English expletive meaning "humbug" or "nonsense". It implies that the purveyor of alleged nonsense is willfully lying, or that he is speaking boldly from ignorance. It is also a verb.

Sometimes called "shooting the shit," bullshit can also be the act of having a very casual conversation with little value.

Thats what I meant! When are you planning to do this trip? looks like a fun trip! If you stop in the LaCrosse area I can take you out rock climbing.

p.s., if you could, please fill out your profile so we know who you are.
  7. MNwilly

Oddometer:
    Now that you have filled out your profile I see you might ned some more advice. You will definitly be running into cold and snowy weather on this trip. October in Canada is going to be rough. Even in the US you can expect temps below freezing, overnight, this time of year.
  8. WisStrom

WisStrom Amish Playboy

Oddometer:
    Berkeley of the Midwest, Madison, WI YFF's
    Hey Littlejoe, I got you covered from Madison to LaCrosse and I'll even tag along to get you there. Be more than happy to put up some accomadations as well.

If you want a recommendation, I would take Highway 14 from Madison to LaCrosse. Same mileage, (approximately) better road 2 laner, vs a 4-6 lane freeway that move along with lots of truck traffic, better sights and if you want to get off the beaten path a bit, I can guide you to some great roads.

Couple of questions... Are you going to be camping off the bike or lodging it? What type of gear do you have? What weather are you prepared for?

Add me to your buddy list and drop me an email. Looking forward to playing a small part in your adventure.
  9. LittleJoe

LittleJoe Llama

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. Firstly weatherwise. I've visited canada in september/october before and didn't run into too much bad weather. Most of september I was too hot during the day! (and was up in the rockies) I did notice a little frost on the ground in october (I was in ottawa by this point)
    The idea is to get over the rockies before Septeber is out, and keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be packing the thermals and a nice fleece just incase too.

I plan to camp off the bike most of the time, but taking a free bed/floor whereever i can get it. With a Motel once a week just for that real bed and weekly clean :evil and dont worry my sleeping bag is rated down past minus 12 C

It'd be great to have some company on any strectch. As well as local knowlage - I was gonna avoid interstates at all costs and really only travel on 2 laners max. I'm not nuts you know!

Cheers, Joe
  10. MNwilly

Oddometer:
    Company, and a place to stay will not be a problem. I am planning on moving this summer, so I'm not sure where I'll be at this time. Just keep us posted, ansd we'll work out the details as you go.
  11. MNwilly

Oddometer:
    Snow is almost always possible in the rockies. This pic(not me) was taken last summer just outside of Jackson Hole, WY. Check the date stamp on the pic.
    [​IMG]
  12. LittleJoe

LittleJoe Llama

Oddometer:

NOOO keep it away from me!:puke1
  13. RiverRat280

RiverRat280 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't take the interstate, its faster then you'd like and people drive like nuts. Take either 14 or I like parts of 33 from Baraboo to La Crosse especially near wildcat mt near Ontario. If you take the interstate you'll miss the best parts of the state.
  14. WisStrom

WisStrom Amish Playboy

Oddometer:

Great point on 33, I always seem to overlook that. I was thinking of getting up towards Spring Green and then wandering our way up to LaCrosse.
  15. LittleJoe

LittleJoe Llama

Oddometer:
    I bow to your local knowlage, I will follow where you lead (but my top speed is gonna be 50-60):clap
  16. WisStrom

WisStrom Amish Playboy

Oddometer:
    Day 1 covered, who's gonna step up for day 2?
  17. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your trip brings back a lot of memories. I used to live in Green Bay and 30 years ago used to go on 1 week trips to the Black Hills. Oh yes the good old days when gas was 40-50 cents a gallon(I think). Used to go on those trips for around $100.I Remember sleeping on picnic tables at rest areas in Minn.

You know that was the some best trips I have ever had. ( Till I moved out west)

Have Fun !!!
  18. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chad KNOWS his BS...believe me......LOL...:lol3
  19. brfinley

brfinley Brooster

Oddometer:
    Is that Togwotee Pass? I remember one year when 100 cars were stranded up there overnight by a snowstorm...on August 28. The snowplows got them out in the morning. We were freezing our butts off camping at Canyon in Yellowstone Park.

You need to be ready for it.