Wisconsin Death Trip Planning: WI RYDAHZ plz advise

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Orpheus, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Orpheus

Orpheus more like fool sport

Oddometer:
    This summer, I'm going back to Wisconsin for a week. I figured I'd extend it to two weeks to make a nice bike trip out of it. My college friend (advrider.com user gomi no sensei) will be joining me for most of the journey.

I will be riding a '68 Honda CL350. He will be riding an '06 Triumph Scrambler. We will be riding almost entirely on back roads and camping in state parks. In fact, it's a Rustic Roads tour! I love patches, so I figured I'd hit 10 of them. Since I love Wisconsin even more than patches, my route currently hits 41.

I think I have our route planned out pretty well, but I had to make some blind choices about where to go. I only know southeast Wisconsin, and even that not very well. I don't know much about the campgrounds I've marked down, either. If any Wisconsin folks could take a look and tell me if I'm missing out on some great sites or hitting some terrible spots, I'd appreciate it.

The trip currently consists of 6 travel days with a "Day 0" for a short shakedown ride of about 39 miles from Lake Mills to Bark River Road (Rustic Road 84) and back. The map below shows the route, day by day. There's a little bit of goofiness because the DOT's map doesn't position all of the Rustic Roads properly. For example, Rustic Road 34 is practically at the Michigan/Wisconsin border. For another example, Rustic Road 46 is south of 8 and 40. "Real" highways are avoided, but county highways are used frequently.

[​IMG]

Day 0 - Shakedown Ride
    38.7 mi, 1 hour, 6 mins

Lake Mills to 84
    84 to Lake Mills

Day 1 - 221 mi, 6 hours, 5 mins
    Staying in Appleton

Lake Mills to 33
    33 to 52
    52 to 63
    63 to 82
    82 to 72
    72 to 61
    61 to Appleton

Day 2 - 199 mi, 6 hours, 20 mins
    Camping at Morgan Lake Campground

Appleton to 53
    53 to 46
    46 to 40
    40 to 8
    8 to 44
    44 to 97
    97 to 32
    32 to 74 / Morgan Lake Campground

Day 3 - 255 mi, 7 hours, 22 mins
    Camping at Big Bay State Park

74 to 34
    34 to 59
    59 to 58
    58 to 60
    60 to 100
    100 to Big Bay St. Park

Day 4 - 220 mi, 6 hours, 43 mins
    Camping at St. Croix Campground, Governor Knowles State Forest

Big Bay State Park to 95
    95 to 71
    71 to 80
    80 to 98
    98 to 79
    79 to 15
    15 to St. Croix Campground

Day 5 - 216 mi, 6 hours, 14 mins
    Camping at Merrick State Park

St. Croix Campground to 93
    93 to 41
    41 to 28
    28 to 101
    101 to 103
    103 to 13
    13 to 92
    92 to 51
    51 to Merrick State Park

Day 6 - 280 miles, 7 hours, 32 mins

Merrick State Park to 91
    91 to 64
    64 to 26
    26 to 56
    56 to 55
    55 to 21
    21 to 49
    49 to Lake Mills
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Have you seen these routes?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228886

Rather than try to loop the entire state, you might check out some of the other entertaining Wisconsin routes in GPS Central. There are some great loops that you might enjoy in addition to the Rustic Roads.

Look in GPS Central for some threads entitled "CannonTracks - . . . ." :D
  3. Orpheus

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link! I'll have to look over those routes. I am trying to (more or less) make a round of the state because (despite living in the state for ~23 years) I never saw much of it. I've never even been up to Superior. :cry
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  5. Orpheus

Oddometer:
    Hehe. Well, it will be in late June, so hopefully I won't need to dress THAT warm!
  6. gomi no sensei

gomi no sensei Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Orpheus has gotten soft living in CA :evil. Last year he was complaining about it being down in the 50's when it was 20's here. Once we hit balmy days in the 40's, I was riding to work every day.
  7. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'don't kid yourself. Last year in mid-August I made the mistake of taking an ultra-light bag while camping within a half mile or so of Superior. Even with everything I had with me on, I was still cold (it got down to 40F that night).
    The water of the big inland sea never gets much above 40 outside of a few shallow bays. Once you stop in at Aerostich cut over on 13 to the Apostle Islands, 'lots of nice 2-lane out that way.
  8. dirtydan

dirtydan Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer:
    Regarding day 4. If I read this right you will be going right thru my hood .,from Bayfield to the St croix.
    A 68 Honda and a 06 Triumph? Do you think the triumph will make it?
    (just kidding)

I have many resources if you need road help. So email me before you get started if you want.

Also screw Aerostich, go fishing. Or meet me at the bar for one.

Dan
  9. Metallic Waste

Metallic Waste Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer:
    Very cool. 13 and 51 are a couple of my favorite roads.
    -K
  10. Orpheus

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Good point. I was considering taking only a bivy sack. Maybe it would be better to leave the bivy sack at home and take my 35º Horse Thief bag. I'll have to see if it's unbearable in warm weather, first.

Yep, we'll be heading from Bayfield to 95 on the Sawyer/Bayfield county line to 71 in Washburn and then over into Burnett to the St. Croix. I'll be sure to e-mail you before we head out. I appreciate the offer.

Good to know. It's hard as hell to pick and choose some of these. I'd like to imagine they're all beautiful roads, but I know that some are going to be "more beautifuller".