Wisconsin Dells - What do I need to know

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by humvee, Mar 29, 2008.

1. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning a vacation to the waterparks this summer (likely 1st week in July). me, wife, 2 kids, one will be just over 2, the other still an infant. What's good, what's bad, tell me what you know.

Going with a buddy who also has 2 kids, but both a little older than mine.

Thinking the Grey Wolf Lodge right now.
  2. begeberg

begeberg Let it burn....

Oddometer:
    Stay somewhere with an indoor/outdoor waterpark,ride the ducks, take the boat cruise, cruise over to the cranberry place for the ice cream, get a margarita at the Mexican place on the corner....:1drink

Oh, don't forget to go to the Log cabin restruarant near the river walk and have Leinie Sunset Wheat beer or two..
  3. bg

bg Monster

Oddometer:
    The Grey Wolf Lodge is nice.

The Dells area is really touristy but there is really beautiful scenery and a lot of history to the place.

Any easy way to see some of the famous spots on the river is to do a boat tour. If you can only do one tour do the Upper River tour. Definitely worth your time.
  4. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard it's a bit of a tourist trap...Ripley's Believe it or Not and all those regular features. I'm normally not into that...but those waterparks sure look cool.

I think after this week of crowds and mayhem we'll get "back to nature" and go camping for a week.

Great suggestions, I've read about some of those. Please keep it up.:clap
  5. Condolini

Condolini Fountain of useless info

Oddometer:
    Kalahari is the biggest hotel/waterpark, Chula Vista is a few miles out of town but has an attached golf course. Go downtown just for the experience, lots of people, shops, bars, etc. Haven't spent a weekend at any of them, too many kids.

The Ducks ride is fun, try to snag the seat next to the driver. Upper Dells boat tour to the Indian Ceremonial, you'll ride back to the dock in the dark.

I spend a weekend in the Dells with my riding buddies, we stay at a downtown hotel so we can stumble home at bar time.

If you want something different, International Crane Foundation south of town on Hwy. 12, Mid-Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom, Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Dr. Evermore's sculpture garden near the old ammunition plant on Hwy. 12, and Leland, end point of the Slimey Crud Run.
  6. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    Try to go mid-week if you can

The ducks/jet boats are real fun!!!!

Grey Wolf or Kalahari both have real great indoor water parks!!!

If you have a family that likes to hike or sit on a real beach go to Devils Lake state park in Baraboo, about 30min away, or go to lake Redstone which is also near by, my vote is for Devils Lake:clap , info on both and other area parks on the WI DNR website. Devils is great for a Picnic too.

If you want a never ending plate of bacon, eggs, and pancakes go to Paul Bunyan restaurant, if they're still open........if oyu want a good pizza go the Moosejaw pizza joint which is at the end of the strip, in Lake Delton, it looks like a giant log cabin.

If you are going to explore the area just past Devils Lake is the Merrimac Ferry its free and goes across Lake Wisconsin, actually a river, and runs into some cool little towns

The most inportant thing is that if you are the type of person that is easily annoyed buy f-ing idiots who dont make any sense what so f-ing ever........bring lots of medication becaue the Dells are a packed nut house in the summer time!!!! But still a real great time!!!!
  7. ride no evo

Oddometer:
    Do both!!!!!!!!!! if you are staying in a hotel with a park, hit the water at night and do some nature stuff during the day, lots of real cool parks with in 30 min

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/

Here is the DNR map with links to all the parks

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/findapark.html

You can see the dells are in the middle of a bunch.

I go riding a lot in the area and spent most weekends in the Dells as a kid, they are a tourist haven but you need to do that every now and then.

Post up anyother questions or feel free to PM

Bill
  8. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HV:

We enjoyed Kalahari.

In town, not on strip, Monk's Bar is nice. Good chow. Kid-friendly. Of course there's always Culvers. Jimmy's DelBar is great but more $$. There's also a fantastic old time supper club/steak house called The Embers.

Parfrey's Glen is a cool waterfall canyon nearby.

If you're into native American history, the Ho-Chunk reservation is nearby.

Ted
  9. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    have a swig at nigs

my Dad lives in the Dells

ride the orginal green ducks

go to devils lake SP, nice beach and lake for a swim, the kids will like it

circus museum is in baraboo
  10. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Bring lots of Go-kart money :D

And don't forget to buy some indian mocasins and fudge.
  11. DualDog

DualDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have went both times and stayed at the Wilderness. This is a very top notch place.

If you are looking for great food, Paul Bunyun's is the place to go. They usually only have two items on the menu at night which changes with the day of the week. If you can hit it when they serve fried chicken and BBQ ribs on the same night, you will think you are in heaven. Both times we went this has been the on the menu. Call once you are there to see if the food of choice meets your appetite. Oh by the way, it is all you can eat and kids eat (are charged) by their age which in your case is an advantage.
  12. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:

So...You're saying the dinette in the suite will gather dust, and I should double the food and drink budget :freaky:tb:beer:slurp:dg
  13. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Yep!:lol3 Here's a few more..

If you stay at Chula Vista Try Stuff's restraunt.. Their burgers are HUGE and I have yet to have a bad meal yet.. ( I work across the street a day or so each week)

Pizza Pub does a killer lunch buffet. Tell them your a local and they will knock off a $1 or so per person. :D

The other suggestions are excellent as well! The Dell bar and Field's at the Wilderness are pretty spendy though..:eek1 However, they are top notch dining .:thumb

And as Skinner said.. No trip to the Dells would be complete without a trip to a fudge shop and at least trying on some moccasins..:lol3
  14. Metallic Waste

Metallic Waste Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer:
    Grab a burger and a bloody mary at Monk's. They serve your food in a frisbee, and the ordering system is kind of neat.
    -K
  15. ride no evo

Oddometer:
    Dont forget that you can spend a day golfing all 12million holes of mini-golf at Pirates Cove!!!!!

And +1 on the Pizza Pub, we used to go there for grub while hunting at mirror lake when I was a kid.
  16. morm914

morm914 Spam fisted

Oddometer:
    Kalahari, Great Wolf and Chula Vista are all great places. But if your kids are real young you might want to check out here....
    http://www.grandmarquis-dells.com/

Seems they are geared for the little ones. I've never been there though.
  17. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    +1 for Wilderness, http://www.wildernessresort.com/ they have 4 (maybe 5?) indoor parks, one is just geared towards 2 and under crowd. They also have several outside parks, but we go in the winter usually. They have they tube slides that are about shoulder wide and twist you around inthe dark. Great fun. They have a big funnel looking thing that also isn't to be missed.

My wife stayed at the Grey Wolf and came away unimpressed (compared to the Wilderness). I've not been there so I can't comment.

Also, we have one meal here http://www.marleysclub.com/menu.htm every time we're in the Dells. If you like meat, get the Big Kahuna.

Ducks for sure, Upper Dells first. Lower dells (not the jet boats, I haven't been on those yet) was mostly a ride on a lake.

My wifes family are from the area, so I tend to get sucked into the place a few times a year.
  18. Condolini

Condolini Fountain of useless info

Oddometer:
    If you go to Monk's, go to the downtown one, not the one near the Wilderness in Lake Delton.

Fudge, the little shop across the street from Ripley's has the best. It's fun to watch the process at the shop on the corner but the fudge from the Original Dells Shop (I think that's the name) is better.
  19. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    She be right.
  20. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Somehow It's not a stretch of the imagination to see Brett skipping in line infront of a dozen 10 year olds.:lol3