Wisconsin Dells - What do I need to know

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by humvee, Mar 29, 2008.

1. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    All this talk about where to stay and what to do, but...

What about your attire? I have one word for you:

POLYESTER!

You just can't wear enough polyester when touring the Dells. When you and the fambly get up in the morning you need to ask yourselves one question, "Are we wearing enough polyester?". Of course the answer is a resounding, "NO!". Don more polyester.

And never underrate the fashionable flair of the top-of-the-calf, black sock (in polyester!). Yes indeed, matched with a pair of sensible dress shoes or sandals, naturally. Also, they will accent your dark plaid Bermuda shorts, showcasing your sexy bright pale knees.

A couple of safety tips:
    • Don't let the kids near any open flames! They're wearing polyester for crying out loud!
    • Don't wear heavy swim trunks. They'll get water logged and you could drown while trying to surface after a good dunking at the water park. Wear a Speedo (of course, they're polyester!). Really!
    Mind these haute couture suggestions and you will have a family vacation you can look back on, and laugh (and laugh and laugh and...:evil).

Okay, so maybe it's not 1977 there anymore :lol3 !

Have a nice time...

:jkam

:slurp:dg

:webers

:thumb
  2. St_rydr

St_rydr #livelikerob

Oddometer:
    Been there done everything on the list and bungee jumped too...Noahs Ark is great for the kids.
    Things to remember:
    1. SUNSCREEN
    2. Cash $$ the dells is expensive.
    3. Bug spray for camping skeeters are going to be bad this year.
    4 $$$ More cash, did I mention the Dells are expensive?
    5. A camera for all those smiles.
    Enjoy! Lots of families all doing the same things your doing. Be patient traffic in Lake Delton and Wisconsin Dells sucks.
  3. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    Dont know what tent your were looking at but I can give a +1 for the base camp 4 and base camp 6, the 4 would be a little tight for a family of 4...weird
  4. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was the Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 (I have the light wedge 2 and 3 and really like their stuff), REI reposted it yesterday, but back to it's original price (on sale it was $298).:cry

The park office replied that I can send it there, so I'm just going to wait for another sale or figure something else out. I'll check out the Basecamps too, thx.
  5. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    Still going?

:eek1

Whoosh!

:cry
  6. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read about a small town that was swept away today on CNN, but that was 75 miles from the Dells, so I thought I was safe - apparently not.

I may have to dig out the cancellation policy :deal

Let's hope it drys out in the next few weeks (for the sake of the folks down there, not because of my vacation)
  7. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    Looks like everyone is going to need one of those WWII "Ducks" they tour the Dells in to get around for a couple of days.

Freakish weather we've been getting around here. :huh
  8. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    Lake Delton is the one that had the failed embankment. It is home to Tommy Bartlett's water park . The lake is empty! No water! There are other indoor and outdoor water parks in the area, and the upper Dells is controlled by a dam complex two, or so, miles upstream of the Lake Delton outfall. I hate to see you travel all that distance and get stuck with no place to stay, or a less than agreeable situation. Definitely call ahead.

Maybe some of the folks north of Madison will chime in here to give you a better assessment of the situation. I may street slab it up into the area next week. I'll stay away for now, as I am sure the last thing they need are disaster area sight-seers :bluduh .

Best of luck to you.

:thumb
  9. Condolini

Condolini Fountain of useless info

Oddometer:
    Some of the county roads are closed, Cty. A was washed away when Lake Delton was. Some of the resorts on Lake Delton have closed and the remaining standing water will be used as mosquito breeding facilities.

There's plenty to do in the Dells without the Duck ride and water ski show. Water parks are open, Mt. Olympus with its roller coasters and go carts, the Indian Ceremonial, etc. Downtown WI Dells was not affected, go have a Swig with Nig. In North Freedom the Midcontinent Railway Museum was flooded, hope that wasn't in your plans.

Come on ahead, you'll find plenty to do and the locals will appreciate your support of the economy.
  10. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as our resort is still standing...we'll be there. I haven't met a mosquito yet that didn't want to be my friend.
  11. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    you'll be ok
  12. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Quote from the Milwaukee journal Sentinal

Joel Tool and Rachel Hagerman drove to the Dells from Moline, Ill., Thursday and figured they would have plenty of time to fit in a Ducks tour during their one-week vacation - until they awakened Monday morning and looked out their window at the no longer aptly named Lakeside Motel.

"We woke up one day and the whole frickin' lake is gone," said Tool.

Added Hagerman: "We're staying at a place where we can use rowboats, and now we have no water."

Freakin whining FIBS!
  13. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    :pot

That sure would suck if it affected their vacation! :huh Send them to Gays Mills, Viola or Soldiers Grove Wisconsin, they can row boat right through peoples houses.
  14. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    Actually the local emergency managers called on the ducks today to rescue people from homes today and move them to higher ground:huh
  15. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    just got email from our resort "We're still open for business...haven't been affected...major highways all open".

I read it as "Please don't any more people cancel!" :deal
  16. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    Wow, with a last name like that, you may as well roll with it.

And you know, I'd bet $5000 they wouldn't have used the rowboat they were offered had the weather not caused a disaster.

(wow, www.whitepages.com can find anyone!)
  17. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod Yep, this weather is going to be devistating on the area for the summer.

I've seen a sign for an area pass the last few times I headed that way and finally wrote it down before I forgot :D

Maybe some of these places would be of interest? http://dellscitypass.com
  18. Condolini

Oddometer:
  19. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    People have lost houses. Rivers are so high the interstates are closed. Fields and crops are ruined.

But a few a-holes want to bitch about their vacation plans.

I heard the reports on the news of the DUCKS rescuing people from the Baraboo area. That is totally cool.

FYI: "FIB" is "F-ing Illinois Bastard."
  20. Condolini

Oddometer:
    FIBWAB = F**kin' Illinois bastard with a boat!

Traffic cams are eerie this morning, no cars on the I-90 bridge south of the I-39 split. Last report the Merrimac Ferry is still running.