Wisconsin dirt bike title/registration thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bonebag, Apr 1, 2011.

1. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    Well, since I fell in love with that Honda of yours on the first CannonRide of last year.... and it won't be legal soon, I give you a helluva deal...:lol3
  2. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    Ha..she's already sporting a Michigan plate...so she's very legal and VERY..VER
    Y NOT FOR SALE:lol3:freaky
  3. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine bought my '90 XR-250R, plated and titled in Indiana since new and tried to buy a tag for it in Wisconsin a few years back (I think Madison or nearby). They tried to confiscate the title, telling him it wasn't a streetable motorcycle. He was able to snatch it out of the little commie's hands and beat it out of there.

So far in Indiana we're safe and so is my Pampera--for now. Good luck to you all.
  4. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    A tavern is even a better Idea!!:clap:freaky

Honey..I gotta go get the mail:lol3
  5. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    WTF??!! :huh
  6. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:

This really sucks and is the reason I was leery about bringing the title to WI from MI.
    You cannot get anything inspected in Wisconsin, even if it comes from the factory with everything street legal but lacks the federal emmissions sticker. It's ridiculous.

As for needing an address in MI, unless that's changed since '08 it's not the case. My registration is sitting on the fridge. Granted, it expired Nov20, but they sent it right to me. Gotta get that out one of these days.
  7. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    Details? Procedure?:ear
  8. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Nothing special. I went to the Sec of State in Mennomine (sp) and handed him the GA title . He asked if I wanted to register to my WI address and I said yes. I paid the man and got my title.

now, that might have changed since 4/08 when I got it, but I doubt it.
  9. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    I got a solicitation for a proposal from the state last week. they are looking for companies to setup vehicle inspection centers....I see where this is going...job and revenue creation. just like those speed trap cameras.

so maybe if we get an emissions test, we can show compliance...

it's a balance for me...either take the cannon approach and try to be patient and work thru the system...or just find a go around...

btw, this is all for your safety. they know what is best for us.
  10. TopDeadCenter

TopDeadCenter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All you need is a Michigan address to send the paperwork to?

Hey sis. Would you mind if......

TDC
  11. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Emissions testing is a joke. A great many of us already deal with that horseshit. Great revenue generator for some folks of course. I could see WI going to a 'vehicle safety inspection' like many states have. A waste of money except to those doing the inspections. A tax by any other name.....
  12. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:

Just drive or ride to the nearest SOS and try. If you've got a valid street title I dont' see the problem. Unless MI is in cahoots with WI on this :deal
    Have the backup address handy, I suppose, but don't sweat it. The fella didn't bat an eye when I said just to register it to my home address. Of course, the dude was friendly and did all the work himself on the computer. not like in WI where you stand in line for godknowshowlong after filling out a form.

Well, TBH my experience was with registering a title that was NOT in my name, to me, so perhaps it's different. I guess I should add that
  13. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Michigan is not in Cahoots with WI on this...

Do you think our bikes would pass emissions testing..I highly doubt it..
  14. seriousracer

seriousracer be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer:
    i am not f***ng stupid,but i used too. niles mi.
    ok .. i will do this for my bros in wis,,, you use my addy in either state Mi or
    IN.

Just don't ask me to go to the DMV!
    Or keep your paper work straight!
    now about the fees....
  15. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    they would.....stock. 2 of my buddy's XRs in AZ went thru the tests...and do every year...a PITA....private company bullshit...he changes the jetting and exhaust back to stock sometimes...and tweaks a few other things to get full fuel destruction....the VOC emission was the problem...none of the SOx NOx and CO was an issue..

they loved having mine out there with WI plate ....:lol3

I'm shopping for a TE610 to get around all this and still be legal....well, I mean...and START being legal :lol3
  16. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    When I worked at an auto shop we would dump an additive (more or less HEET) in the tank to get trouble car through.

My street racer friend would just straight up run his big block on alcohol :lol3. The testers couldn't figure out how a car that made their eyes burn (spent alcohol burns your eyes) could pass with room to spare.
  17. kckeeny

kckeeny Poor Bastard

Oddometer:
    There is a way in Wisconsin....

But you have to have the fed sticker on the head stem.

I had to have the state vehicle inspector (State Trooper from FDL) Come to my shop and look over the bike (as it sat in boxes, parts and pieces) He took pictures, took my $$$, the CL add where I bought it from, my bill of sale, then filled out all the paperwork for me and handed it all in to Madison. With in 4weeks:huh a not so lovely lady from [email protected] called and asked for better pictures. So I mailed her B&W printer pics of the headstem and FED sticker. 4weeks later another call- pics were not goodenough, could I take better ones?

SO...... Ifin' you know someone who can print up headstem FED stickers with your Vin#..... You can get a street title.

I know I told Bonebag all of this before but he likes to follow the rules.

I think that the MI rout is much easier. But I do have the direct phone # for that lady in Madtown with all the power... We could play like a union and bombard her voicemail with hate and threats.
  18. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    It's not so much the following the rules that I get into..it's a healthy weighing of the consequences for messin with things that include the words "forging" and "federal" :lol3:freaky
  19. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yep, you probably do not want to get caught forging a federal document. $10,000 fine would suuuuuuuuck.

You guys know that Husky TE and KTM exc's come with a title, right???? Husaberg even makes one that comes with a title.
  20. sporthog93

sporthog93 Sporthog93

Oddometer:
    That kind of crap really pisses me off, I have a Triumph 1200 I bought wrecked and have repaired with all triumph parts and can't get a title because of a junked title. But some dipshit builds a harley from mailorder parts can,