Wisconsin dirt bike title/registration thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bonebag, Apr 1, 2011.

1. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:

As soon as I have an extra $8k laying around, I'll think about it :deal
  2. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I bought my used TE with 100 hours on it for $3500. Seemed reasonable to me.
  3. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Good deal for an 06. When I picked my '05 FSE450 up in '08, I paid 3300 I think.

Brand new they sure are spendy though.
  4. barnyard

Oddometer:
    It always takes me back a little when I see someone flogging a brand new Husaberg through the woods. Destroying that 1st set of plastics, I don't know that I could do that.

On a used bike, no probs. The 1st thing I do is start looking for back up plastic. Gotta go frenkenstitch the rear fender......
  5. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    Yeah..but a slightly used Honda XR650R/450R/450X for less than half the price and arguably twice the reliability will make you search for the way to make it happen!! :) When is Japan going to wake up and start giving us the good bikes..like the XR700R, DRZ650 and the Tenere??
  6. barnyard

Oddometer:
    As soon as they sell in numbers that make it economically viable. Don't expect a truly modern Asian DS to be priced comparably to a KLR.

One of the ways for that to happen is to buy up the currently available Euro models. When those models start selling out quickly, Asian manufacturers will notice. Till then, they will shrug their shoulders, not enough money to be made.
  7. Northwoods Yeti

Northwoods Yeti Almost house broken

Oddometer:
    ....Maybe when the air cooled dinosaurs they pump out now don't meet emisions we'll get something decent:deal

... or the cowards will just bolt on a 30lb boat anchor a.k.a catalytic converter and the like so they can continue with the status quo for a few more years.:(:
  8. timzim

timzim in the doghouse

Oddometer:
    Are they going to go after grey market bikes also ? Rg 500 two strkes from canada, my buddies vfr 400 from imported for japan? He had a hard time getting a wis title because there was'nt enough serial #s on the headstock
  9. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    Big D just called me from Michigan with the quote "I love this State"
    He was there for 5 minutes..no proof of Michigan Insurance required..no Michigan Address...48 bucks total including registration and Title Fee..Plate in hand and he's on his way back :clap:freaky
  10. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    And both times I"ve been there, the people were honest to Jebus FRIENDLY. fookin amazing in't it?
    Although I do send proof of insurance with mine.

11. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    nice....:thumb. looks like I'll do that if/when they don't renew mine next spring...or maybe I'll just ride it this summer and then cancel the registration this winter and see if they (WI DMV) refund me :lol3

...:lol3 :wave

(but now I have to unforward my mail from the UPee tavern :lol3)

braaaappp!
  12. mnielsen5

mnielsen5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well i'm picking up a 05' KTM 450SMR "with a wisconsin title" this weekend. If my local DMV doesn't allow it through I'll be making the trip up to the UP to get her a MI plate to wear :evil

[​IMG]

What u guys think?
  13. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have reference to one of the letters that you can scan in and post here.

I agree you can go to other states, yet what's wrong with fixing the existing system..?
  14. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    How do you propose to fix it? By telling some counterworker that MI allows us to plate there so they should in WI as well?

I offered to let the state patrol inspect my bike at their leisure and was told that it was impossible because there was no federal sticker. Some might slip through the cracks and get registered here, but I'd certainly be leary of buying something with a WI title or one from another state on the assumption that it would get me a plate.
  15. barnyard

Oddometer:
    A Michigan plate will work as long as you do not get pulled over. Cops are going to want to know why your DL is Wi and your plate is Mi.
  16. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Ok, fixing it may be harder then I know how to do, yet understanding it and how it may impact other states (lessons learned).

What federal Sticker are you speaking of?

17. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:

Federal emissions sticker located somewhere on the frame of bikes sold for street use.
  18. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Well, not sure what is happening in your state, still digging into the core problem or reason..
    Yet, Washington state just passed SB5800

19. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Al, there is a context on this issue that is probably not clear to you. Wisconsin is in a different place than some others right now.

We are working on a progression of changes that over time may allow us to move forward to try to change this. Right now, it is best to get some off-highway motorcycle legislation through without introducing any potential opposition with DOT issues.

Once we get on our feet with the current basic issues, we may be in a position to try to tackle the modification and registration issues. We would be better postured to get legislative support once we have a working OHM program.
  20. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    This makes no sense... A broke state choosing NOT TO SELL lisc plates to potential buyers! What a bunch of dummies:eek1.