Wisconsin dirt bike title/registration thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bonebag, Apr 1, 2011.

1. zigman

zigman Working for the man

Oddometer:
    So maybe it wouldn't hurt to try WI first and if they reject it, then try through a different state.

If I try through MI, can it all be done through the mail like WI, or do they have some sort of inspection process?
  2. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:

if you have a title no inspection, but need proof of insurance and i'm not sure if that has to be presented in person or not
  3. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    My xr650r was titled in wi and il by previous owners and I have the il title. Went to wis dot and as soon as the first three didits of vin went into computer the counter person FREAKED OUT. Sir this is a dirt bike you cant register that!!! Wrote all over my title with a plate # and made me sign and date it before they ran the vin. Now I have a shitty marked up title that's useless. They then took photo copies of my paperwork and refused to give me the copies. Bitches. Also ther are 6 counties along the southern shores of lake Michigan where we have to have emissions tested yearly on our cars. But the rest of the state does not have to comply with emissions which really pisses me off. They claim its because of the high population BULLSHIT, many people are screwed out of having a beater like the rest of the state. And the next county north of here has a damn car ferry that smokes like nothing you ever saw before Burning coal by the tons every trip and dumps the waste into he lake, What a fuckin joke this is. :eek1
  4. zigman

zigman Working for the man

Oddometer:
    That is the kind of crap I am afraid of. I think I will skip trying to get this done in Wisconsin and try Illinois or Michigan instead.
  5. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Please go to Michigan for your title and plate. We could use the cash if Wisconsin doesn't need it:D. Plate is $23 and title is $12 trf. Probably cheaper than IL also.....and you could visit beautiful Escanaba.
  6. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    friggin joke indeed. custom choppers without highway use sticker are everywhere...

I had 3 XR650Rs plated in WI...down to one...and still every 2 years they send me a new sticker for renewal :dunno
  7. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Leaving fri. the 29th from Sheboygan to get my bike plated in Mich. If anyone wants to ride with or I have a hauler if your scared to ride the bike there let me know. Just a warning though I love to get Chinese eyed and this IS a smoking flight! :bubba
  8. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested, We can ride bikes or haul the bikes on my trailer. I just wanna get my xr650r plated and have a good time doing it. Send me a pm if you wanna keep it private.
  9. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
  10. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Either way ride or haul. I have my xl250r plate on the big girl to get me there if we ride to Mich. But I can trailer it there if need be. I don't really have a time line once I get her plated. So a ride on the return trip is cool. If we haul them some diesel money would be cool so either way I'm ok with. What do you need to get plated? And are you interested? I figured take the bike just incase it needs an inspection, proof of insurance, title or bill of sale and all should be good then. If more people are interested I have a trailer that hauls 8 bikes and a full sized ford crew cab.
  11. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    bump of importance
  12. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Got ahold of Mich. DOT told them I had a Honda XR650R that was previously titled in Ill. and needed to title and plate the bike there. they said no problem just bring title, proof of liability or full coverage insurance and bill of sale. Told them the bike was DOT compliant with tires, horn, lights, and tires. So no inspection required. Just fill out forms pay fees and taxes and receive registration and new plate over the counter then receive title in the mail. Didn't get any response for anyone wanting a ride there or to ride bikes there so I will do this alone and hit some trails before returning home. I will post the results when I return. Thanks to all that helped with this process.:clap
  13. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    who gets a bill of sale when you buy something? title is all I ever get with titled bikes. bikes with no title (dirtbikes) I may request one, but usually don't.
  14. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    You make one up. I'm going with a traded snowmobile for bike self made receipt and will stuff them with the taxes. :evil
  15. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Well my plating trip to Michigan got put off till Wednesday by the old lady, she wants to go 2 up on the brp (why did I buy them damned passenger pegs) its only 120 miles one way so hopefully the sub frame makes the trip. I will still report on the process when I get back. Sorry for the hold up.
    ps the combined weight of us is 260 lbs and if I do enough wheelies on this trip I might have the pegs for sale by the time we get back. :rofl
  16. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    :eek1....one tough ole lady you got....better have her sit on a 2x4 all weekend to harden her arse :lol3
  17. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Brrraaaaapppp Brrraaaaapp finally got me a ligit plate Yaahhooeeeyyy.:clap:freaky:1drink
  18. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    So now I wonder what happens when you have to explain to a Wisconsin LEO why you have a MI plate and a WI drivers lisc.....

I used the excuse that I was a snowbird in New Mexico when I had NM plates and a MI d/lisc. That is a little tough to do between MI & WI:D. Just ride smartly and don't get stopped .
  19. reveille

reveille Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who gives a shit what some ignorant Wisconsin LEO thinks? The plate is legit. End of story.
  20. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    "It spends 6+ months in MI" is all they need to know.