Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders = PROGRESS!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by madwrench, Feb 14, 2008.

1. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Those of you who have participated in the AMA National Dual Sport rides based out of Wabeno, Wisconsin (Big Woods 200 and Ride for Research), are probably familiar with Mr. John Newton. John is the founder and president of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders club, and seems to know everyone who has ever ridden one of his events.

John is one of the most optimistic "Why not?" kind of guys I've ever known, and that is the attitude that has built the Wabeno rides into nationally recognized events. That type of attitude, combined with 'people skills' and preparation, are what moves our sport forward.

Today John and fellow WIDSR member Andrew 'Halo Boy' Jensen made a presentation to the Marinette County, WI board to request land access to plan, build, and maintain a single-track, motorcyle only trail through county forest and land. And........they didn't say "NO!" In fact, they were impressed.

Most of us would not have even thought of asking, or if we had, our immediate second thought would have been - 'Nah, they'll never go for it, why waste the time.' Well...that is NOT the way John's mind works.

The Marinette County board was very impressed with the presentation that John and Andrew made, which included a number of letters of recommendation from local folks (including the Sheriff of the neighboring county!) Right now, things are tabled until the snow melts and we can show the board what have done and can do, but overall, it's looking very positive.

So, this is really just a BIG "Good job!!" for John and Andrew, but, as this goes forward, the WIDSR club will be looking for volunteers (like YOU) to help build, monitor, and maintain whatever trails might get approved.

And....to anyone who has an idea for a riding area but thinks it would just get shot down -- GIVE IT A SHOT -- worst that can happen is they say no.

Good freakin' job, guys.
  2. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    See? Nobody tells me nuthin. Was this the new guy they talked about at the last meeting?

I'm a volunteer, and I'm bringing the kids up right too darn it, if they need help picking rocks, moving brush or marking trails, I have just the 10 year old for the job!

Good job John and Andrew!!!!!:clap
  3. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    well done:thumb and thanks:freaky
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Excellent work fellows! Thank you! Still more to be done so we'll have to keep the ball rolling.
  5. weggieman

weggieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job guys!

And papalobster.........don't bring anyone along to move anything, you'll take all the fun out of the ride!!
  6. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Nice job!!:clap
  7. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    That's great, one more step forward!:clap :clap :clap
  8. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want to say thank you to everyone that responded to our requests for letters of support ,( especially those of you that owned land in the county, those were great!) and ideas of how to approach this. the new county forester had a stack of 40 plus letters and e-mails backing this. we only pushed that part of it for 3 weeks. Between now and when the snow melts our big road block is to learn more about funding and find a steady stream of funding (public or private) that can be garanteed for a number of years before they will let us make a lot of forward progress on the whole thing. thanks and keep thinking positive about this , we really WOWed a couple of them, but it's still a big hill to climb. little john
  9. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Excellent job guys and thanks for stepping up!! :clap
  10. Claybuster

Claybuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good work guys!
    I'm gassing the chainsaw and sharpening the shovels.
    Sign me up.
  11. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! You guys have done a great job, I know its just the first step but it sounds like you have gained alot of support in the counties.

Anyways, when it comes time to work, let us know we are there. Strong bodies and weak minds or some sort of combination of the two. FWIW, Have you ever checked out the International mountain biking associations (I.M.B.A. ) website? They offer alot of great tips on building sustainable trails. I have a copy of thier book called trail solutions and I'd be willing to donate a copy to the trail crew. They show alot of great things in that book and I'm not sure how much of it carrys over to dirt bikes but I'm sure some of it would.
    http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/index.html