Wisconsin-Michigan Adventure Trail (WMAT - 1100 Mile Dual Sport)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This is a fun one for sure. Just be sure to have a bike that is handy enough in sand. :lol3

Glad you got to refresh some memories via this trip. As you say, great riding in that area.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    That driver was pretty damn good with that rig. The trailer had a separate power unit for fancy manual steering way in the back. They did pretty well getting that on the ship - all things considered.

Lots of sand Mark, but a fun ride nonetheless.

Are we going to see you and Tim on this one?
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this will become another CannonTrek team ride.

He rode that sand very well, but over time with enough hard miles, eventually a rider is going to get caught.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Great fun for sure!

Glad you are enjoying it. We try to put in a lot of pix so that others can see what they might be getting into if they go for it themselves.

This would be a nice father-daughter tour.

Glad you enjoy this Don.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I think it is great when people share tracks so the next guy(s) can execute a well developed ride without being saddled with much of the planning themselves. I hope a lot of people get to enjoy this one too.

It sure is! But, one must be comfortable with sand. :evil
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We pulled out of Curtis and headed west until we bumped up against the Seney Wildlife Refuge. We turned south and eventually picked up a rugged sand path that would take us across a wild area.
    [​IMG]

It starts off nice enough, but soon turns to a sand logging road. If it is wet, it can be a fun ride. If it is sugary, it can be a lot of work. My approach is to just get going and run it as fast as is reasonable in an effort to manage the sand. There are a few obstacles to watch out for.
    [​IMG]

It can be wet too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should mention that one should never assume these water holes are clean. Sometimes loggers put things in them to stabilize the trail for their trucks. If these things are submerged they can be a surprise.
    [​IMG]

Gas stop at the Norden store.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I mentioned, never "trust" a water hole. There is a small one west of Norden that can put you over the bars. Some "found" it on other rides I host.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a sporty section of ATV width trail on this piece. Very fun to run.
    [​IMG]

Chow and a motel in Escanaba. Took a walk downtown for a beer. Nice warm evening.
  7. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    This logging road was one of the best parts of my trip (and the scariest since I was alone.) At one point, I could not see the other end of the water and not having much experience with it feared I would end up stuck 20 miles from nowhere. This road really feels desolate, pretty sure you would need to wait for the next ADVrider to come along if you do get stuck. I am happy to report, I never had any problems on this part of the route. Instead I saved the bike drowning for the two ATV trails I accidently went on while my GPS was on the fritz. Now that did add the adventure.
  8. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I hope. I've been watching your other thread hoping to get in on some riding... this summer isn't the greatest for me, I'm working full time for University PD and picked up a part time job with the state police, vacation time already accounted for... you know how it can be. I'm sure gonna try though...:freaky

Your pics bring back a lot of good memories of CT's past. :clap
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Breakfast in downtown Escanaba.
    [​IMG]

Onto a railroad grade ORV trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After riding the scenic and entertaining railroad grade for a while, some may want to hop out onto the adjacent highway for a bit to relax.
    View from the highway to the trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy does back flips on motorcycles.
    Sick Air

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Took a lap on the Norway ORV trail. It was supposed to only be 3/4 of a lap, but a beaver had installed a significant civil works project that blocked the exit.
    [​IMG]

The north loop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will need a Michigan ORV permit for this ride. Buy it on-line through the Michigan DNR or at any place that sells hunting licenses (Wal-Mart).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sawing open the trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the exit path to the main parking lot. A beaver had taken care of things. Jeff surveyed it and lost the trail as it got deeper. We had to turn around and take the muddy south loop to the east portal.
    [​IMG]

My waterproof Alpinestars had been doing welll. Waterproof does not include overtopping the boots in the deep stuff. I left the buckles open as I rode the rest of the day and they dried out pretty well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The south loop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a blast on this trail.
    [​IMG]
  11. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    OK, this section definitely calls for a less aggressive bypass.:rofl
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Took a swing through Iron Mountain. There is some interesting stuff to see there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This old mine shaft is a hibernating spot for about a million bats each winter. Around the end of September bats congregate from all over and literally hang around town. Once cold weather kills off the bugs, the bats hole up in this deep mine shaft. In the spring they split.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Giant steam pump. More info in this post from a history ride. Five million gallons a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bikes were pretty clean until we hit the Norway trail.
    [​IMG]

Ski jump and veterans' memorail on top of this tall hill.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice view to the north.
    [​IMG]

They run a motorcycle hill climb event here. I've never seen it but here is some video from the web.

<IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dkueeXeHCl0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Swung past the old Ford plant in Kingsford. During WWII they cranked out gliders in this plant. Not much left now, but an interesting stop nonetheless. More details in this post from a history ride I made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    all the while as I was surveying the water depth which was getting deeper rather quickly, the guy behind the camera is saying "keep going, keep going!" :lol3 :brow
  14. Makwa

Makwa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Home Sweet Home!

I grew up about 15 minutes from the Badger's Michigan port (Silver Lake). Ex-Wife's Grandfather retired as a coal shoveler on that boat. Spent a great deal of time fishing in those waters with this view, not to mention brushing sand out of my teeth from my share of faceplants.:lol3

Sand is an evil and wicked mistress that will remind you who's boss, but sure does clean a tire nicely :wink:
  15. mac66

mac66 Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,

Always enjoy your trip reports of the UP. I just happened to have been in Curtis MI, this past Saturday night having ridden from St. Ignace (about 90 miles) with a group of ATVers for a couples group ride. Stayed at a motel and rode back to St.Ignace the next day. This was my first UP ride though some of us are now planning a week long ATV guys ride in Sept. Perhaps with your experience and some $ you could suggest a suitable route?

The picture you took in Curtis shows the Tally Ho Bar across the street in the background. Our group ate dinner there on Saturday night, but it got so wild in there later in the night we had to leave.

Unfortunately I hung up my dual sport boots this year after having ankle/foot surgery in December. Going to stick to ATVs from now on.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Your grandfather working on that boat is neat to hear about. On the way over we met some guys on the boat that were headed to the park at Silver Lake to ride the dunes.

Thanks. The ride from St Igance to Curtis is a good one on any conveyance. Sounds like you guys had a great time! ATVs can be fun too.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trail sidles up against the Menominee River for a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have heard of a motorcyclist being approached by an ATV rider who said motorcycles are not allowed on the Marinette County ATV trails. This is not true. Licensed dual sport motorcycles are allowed, unlicensed motorcycles are not allowed. Some of the trail uses roads.

Not only did I read the ordinance, but I also called Marinette County Parks to verify this with an official there. I like to avoid confusion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, when it is dry these particular trails can be pretty sandy. If you get sick of it, you can find a nearby road for a little relief for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We jump on to some entertaining pavement for a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More trail.
    [​IMG]

We ran "The Pipeline" in the National Forest. It is a 4WD trail on a forest road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a go-around for this piece. We rode them both. Both fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Wow Bryan, Looks like an amazing route! You and Jeff had quite an adventure!
    Great photos and story, I can't wait to give it a shot.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Pack light. It is pretty sandy. Hope you have fun with it.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    This last run takes us back to where we started at the ferry. If you rode your bike to the ferry and don't need to return there, you can cut off the route and head for home once you get to Hwy 64.
    [​IMG]

It is a nice ride down the lakeshore if you are heading back to Manitowoc.
    [​IMG]

Kewaunee is a harbor town on Lake Michigan. The USS Pueblo was built here as an Army cargo ship in 1944.
    [​IMG]

Some of you may recall that the North Korean's captured this spy ship off their coast in 1968.
    [​IMG]

The crew was famous for giving the ADV salute in their propaganda shots during their imprisonment. They got their asses kicked for that once the pictures were released by the Koreans and they discovered what the gesture meant.
    [​IMG]

Today the ship is a huge tourist attraction in North Korea.
    [​IMG]

Lately the Coast Guard has been selling some of these pierhead lighthouses. Foghorn can be a little annoying, but at least there is no lawn to mow.
    [​IMG]

This ocean going tug was used in the D-Day invasion. It towed ammunition barges across the channel in support of the invasion.
    [​IMG]

It was armed with two .50 caliber machineguns for air defense. No one was too interested in spending a torpedo so sink one of these. After the war the tug was used by the US Army Corps of Engineers for harbor construction on the Great Lakes.
    [​IMG]

A rider I know likes these old style gas stations. This one is in downtown Kewaunee and is interesting because it is still in operation.
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of nuclear plants along the way.
    [​IMG]

More designated Rustic Roads.
    [​IMG]

Rawley Point light station.
    [​IMG]

Military personnel (and retirees) can rent the keeper's quarters for an inexpensive beach vacation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two Rivers is home to a commercial fishing fleet.
    [​IMG]

A while back, one of these commercial boats up and disappeared out on the lake. I guess they found it. It is believed that the crew was working inside the fishing boat when they were run down by a gas barge and sunk. I don't think they ever proved it though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right back to the start. If you have time, take a tour through the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc. Good stuff.
    [​IMG]

Well, that was our proof run to update the route. We had a blast. I'll post a link in this thread so that people can download the GPS file and make the ride themselves.

Thanks much for riding along!
    FenceJumper09 likes this.