Wisconsin-Michigan Adventure Trail (WMAT - 1100 Mile Dual Sport)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jun 6, 2011.

1. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot, great stuff! :D
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most excellent! :clap

Hey, I went to your cannonshot.net website, how do I get a user name and logon? :ear
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, hope you get to enjoy it yourself in person.

It is a work in progress. You won't need a log in. I'll be putting up more than a few thousand miles worth of DS tracks for people to download and enjoy.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The GPX of this ride is ready for download.

Hope more than a few of you get a chance to enjoy this very entertaining run.

Tracks can be downloaded here.

[​IMG]
  5. ktmissouri

ktmissouri Racer turned Rider

Oddometer:
    Dave:

It is quite fitting that my first post on ADV is a message to you. I have been enjoying the ride reports on this site for the past few months and they have been both a distraction and an inspiration. Many of those rides are out of reach for me, but they are fun to dream about. Your rides, this WMAT and the CDT, are in my reach and they have inspired me to plan a ride. I am leaving next week and I can't wait. Thanks for sharing your tracks. They are a big help. My ride will be a trip around the mountains of Colorado including sections of the CDT. Thanks for taking the time to make your ride reports both entertaining and educational. I have had some challenges in my life this past year and I really needed something to get me going. Planning a ride has been exactly what the doctor ordered.

All the best,

Shawn
    KTMissouri
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the nice remarks Shawn. I'm glad the reports entertained and inspired. Hope you have a great trip and I'm looking forward to hearing about it when you get back!
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, Dave, I also enjoy your ride reports!

:lol3

Signed,

Matt
  8. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,

GREAT ride report!

I'm a Michigander who just bought a DR650. Was wondering if you could advise on a good front tire for the Michigan sandy portions (rear, too, for that matter!).

I'll be riding anywhere from 10 miles to a couple hundred miles to get to the trails and two tracks, but I don't use the bike as an everyday commuter. I don't really mind wearing out the tires as far as expense goes.

I've been riding a BMW GS Adventure for the last 12 years, and have taken it off road quite a bit, but it just flat out will not cooperate in sand.......

The DR is heavy, I know, but the right tires should help.

Thanks,

Bill
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I run Maxxis Desert tires mostly, but my friends in Michigan consistently recommend a Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front and a Kenda K760 TrackMaster II on the back.

Hope you get some good riding in!
  10. Zaboo65

Zaboo65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cannon, I always enjoy reading your ride reports and have been wanting to do this one since talking to Snowjob about it a couple of years ago :beer . I am planning to ride this next week, following the WMAT tracks up to St. Ignace and then following your Wisconsin-Michigan Dual Sport Adventure tracks over to Bayfield county and then the TWAT down to I-94/Hwy12 before heading back to Madison. It looks like there are some differences between the WMAT, WIMIDSA and the UPAT tracks in the UP. I'll be on a KLR and have run the UPAT big bike tracks before, would you recommend any one of those three over the others for my UP section? I figure by the time I get to the UP I will be used to riding in sand or have given up and am riding highways (so far I find sand challenging and fun). Thanks for creating all these great trips! :clap :clap :clap
  11. clrobins

clrobins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for putting these tracks together! You deserve many beers and women for the effort to put this together.

My buddy and I just finished this last weekend in about 3.5 days. We ended up cutting out the shore riding sections just south of Ludington and north of Manitowac so we could save some time and get to the offroad sections. Total trip length ended up being 980miles.

We got lucky and timed it perfectly to coincide with the peak color and it was just incredible to see all the bright red sugar maples contrasting with the firs. Speaking with the locals apparently it was the best 2 days of summer all year!

He was on a KTM 450EXC and I rode the my Honda XR600R, loaded with minimal gear for camping and a change of clothes these were the perfect bikes for the trip. It could surely be done with something bigger with a decent rider aboard but it wouldn't be much fun on the MCCT single track or deep sandy sections. For us, this was the best part and with the GPS tracks running right through these riding areas it allowed us to veer off your tracks a bit and ride some of the great motorcycle only loops in Grand Traverse, Kalkaska and Cadillac.

Thanks again and looking forward to riding this again. With a little more time we'll probably add some more provisions for the MCCT and single track loops in Michigan so we could drop the bags and go ride without the weight for a couple hours.
  12. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    nice bump !....thanks for the recall of this great trip...glad some others are out getting after it !...:thumb

we are fortunate to have some great riding around here...
  13. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a street bike now, but rode a little dirt as a teenager. I live in VA, but am dreaming about trailering a bike up one year. . . Miles and miles of wilderness with access... awesome!
  14. GoingSolo

GoingSolo Fuck it, LET'S GO!

Oddometer:
    Let's bump this again. Putting this on my short list of routes to CADVR this year. Thinking Solo trek may be a mistake?
  15. 3G.

3G. WR250R

Oddometer:
    Thanks A Million for providing this post and the tracks. I was just singing the praises of the people who post stuff like this so other can have the trip of a lifetime. So grateful!!!
    I just rode the WMAT loop in 2.5days riding counterclockwise from Appleton WI (had to short cut numerous sections, mostly on the later half to fit into my 3 day w/e), 1000mi, 12-13hr saddle time each day, took high speed ferry, WR250R, temps 30-50F, primo fall colors (late Oct) and reds in LP that are crazy beautiful, motels. My nav was just Garmin 62S, with your WMAT tracks, and USFS background maps (basecamp). If I did it over, I would try to have the MI DNR trail system also loaded, and use VVmapping as a background too. It was really hard to pass up riding all the single track park loops to make fwd progress because I only had a 3 day weekend. I really liked a light weight moto WR250R and ultra light bag kit. 3gal tank was plenty, but my 4.7gal would blow by numerous fuel stops and save lots of wasted time and permit riding into the night after gas stations close. I mounted a high power mtn bike LED helmet lamp for night riding. I had no idea how slow/long this trip might take so I am posting my stats for others as a bench line. I will be riding a version of it again in 2017!! My first ever dual sport multi-day ride. a good shakedown mission for bigger things to come.

Attached Files: