Wisconsin - Michigan Dual Sport Adventure

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Dec 21, 2008.

1. DNTOUCH

DNTOUCH Need more time to ride.

Oddometer:
    I see you have 2 bikes listed in your profile. I also have a Strom 1000, is this route possible on that havy pig.?

Where in S.E. WI. are you? I am in (covered by 3ft of snow) Germantown.

Chris
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I added a bunch of "down home" cafes that were along the route. They are waypoints in the file.

I picked them out of the book Cafe Wisconsin.

[​IMG]

Should be some good bike trip dining.
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I personally wouldn't hesitate to ride the Wisconsin portion on the DL1000. Might have to do a couple of go-arounds, but with the long miles of gravel, etc, it would be a good choice. I wouldn't do it without a bash plate though, because of the limited travel on the DL suspension.

The Michigan stuff would be best on a medium dual sport. A DL1000 won't work at all in much of the lower peninsula.

I am in Oconomowoc.
  4. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    So when are we testing riding it? :lol3
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Apparently, you just can't get enough . . . :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Gee, it looks like you guys have a lot of fun!

Happy Holidays!
  7. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Even the Wisconsin section has some very rocky and sandy areas which are very do-able on a big bike, but its certainly best on a mid sized Dual sport bike with knobbies like a KLR etc. To my knowledge the TWT has been done on several KTM 950's, a 1200GSA, a Moto Guzzi Quota, a Suzuki GS750! and also on an R100GS as seen here:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by Jim Klas

I have a DL650 and if it had knobbies, I wouldn't hesitate to ride the Wisconsin section with it, but I much prefer it on my DR650.

Now the Michigan sections, not on a bid bike, way too much sand!
  8. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    Nice Bryan... Looking forward to seeing the track...

Just curious, what kind of time estimate would you throw at this? I was planning on doing the TWT in 3 days.... which I figured was a very moderate pace.... I haven't ridden it yet....
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I kind of zip through these things (with long days) so my own pace would be about a week. When we group ride in the UP we usually run about 285 miles per day, including tourist stops. Some of the many people that have run that with me can comment on whether that is a reasonable pace for the average guy or not. For part of the lower peninsula track, that pace would be knocked down quite a bit. The segment across the southern part of the state could be done in a single day (but keep in mind that the Tri-County Trail has a radar enforced 30 mph speed limit).

It would be safe to plan for 8-9 days for most people. Some sections will be slower and some will be faster.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, another guy who hasn't enjoyed some of this. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Looks like another great ride! I may need to give this a shot to work out any bugs before running the TAT someday.

Let the planning begin! :D
  12. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    I've been going crazy planning the TWT.... Once I add all of Cannon's UP routes, I'll be on the back of a milk carton...:lol3
  13. rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard Rokklym ran this one solo in just 4 1/2 days....

the day after Christmas!!:clap

Go Chad!
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I just ordered some of these earlier today. If you knock this thing off next season, let me know and I'll send you a sticker. This looks like an 8 day ride for most folks, unless you break it up into smaller chunks.
  15. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    You guys are making the 10 days we have planned for this seem like an eternity :lol3. We're just hoping now that the ferry opens up before May 9th like this past year.
  16. klx400kev

klx400kev Faster in the dirt

Oddometer:
    What kind of "gas tank range" do you recommend for this ride?
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I didn't calculate the exact distances between gas, but looking over the track it shouldn't be a problem. That being said, there can sometimes be a problem with indicated gas stops not being open or not having gas. I used to ride a DRZ with a stock tank and always managed OK - but I also didn't pass up gas very often. It can be a good idea to take along an MSR fuel bottle of gas in case you get caught short someplace.

Once you do the detailed planning for your ride, you can see where you might be stretched and if need be step off the route for a bit to get gas just to play it safe. I don't foresee the need for that though.

When I polish the track I look to see where it might be tighter gas-wise and comment here.

Edit: When I host the CannonTreks, I pass out a laminated card of fuel stops and distances in between. This helps the riders plan their fuel stops a little better. Some with larger tanks can skip a few stops.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Something to consider when approaching this ride is which direction to ride and where to start.

The ferries can fill up on the weekends (and even during the week on the high-speed ferry). This may require a reservation. The Manitowoc - Ludington ferry is better about being able to take motorcycles without a reservation - but don't count on it.

My recommendation would be to start either in the SW corner of WI or near where the ferries launch. Both of these options allow you to lock-in a schedule that allows you to make a ferry reservation. If you go the other direction you might be a day early or a day late by the time you get to the ferry.

Also, the most difficult sections to ride are in the Michigan segments. Better to get those out of the way early. That way, once you hit the more roady stuff in Wisconsin, you have a clear picture of where you are at time-wise. It will be much easier to manage you travel time in the latter part of the trip on the Wisconsin segments.

Of course, it will all be entertaining and fun no matter which direction you ride, but I thought I'd offer a better way to manage the requirement to make a ferry reservation.
  19. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Not that I aim to be chit-chatting on the phone during this trip, but whats the cell coverage like in most of these areas along the way? More or less looking to send a text every now and then to let the fam\gf know I'm still in one piece :lol3 Note that I have verizon.

Andrew
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You will be in and out of coverage. Some of that depends on your provider.

In the LP, it will be pretty good with a few gaps.

In the UP and northern WI you will have more and larger gaps.

If you get near a town, you'll likely have service (depending on the provider).

Some people buy an inexpensive phone card to use on trips like this. Kind of handy sometimes.

The Verizon map looks like it has some significant gaps in the north.