Wisconsin - Michigan Dual Sport Adventure

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Dec 21, 2008.

1. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    Seeing as I have to start and end at the bottom of the lake anyway, I can skip the ferry all together and go counterclockwise all the way around the lake. :thumb
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Quit trying to lure me into another great ride together!!! :lol3 (Dammit, now I have to think about hosting a small group to hammer this thing.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    All this talk about this route has me think'in I'll have to crack a cold one and head into the garage tonight to give my ride a pat on the arse since she probably feels a little ignored lately. :lol3

Cannon - Good point on the counter clockwise rotation by the way.
  4. The Toad

The Toad on the go since...wait. where am I ?

Oddometer:
    Im thinking this looks like a great ride and probably a good prep for doing the TAT.

Need to get meself a smaller bike.. thinking KLR (1100GS too BIG).. but been thinking i need one of them anyway...

No real time frame or plan... but if anyone is interested in doing this ride let me know.. maybe we can put together a small group from a few different states (or whatever)..
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I looked at the tracks last night and realized that that I had actually completed them some time ago. No revisions were required.

I started a thread in GPS Central, but I can't upload the tracks there until the attachments issue gets resolved.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436948

If you want the tracks, send me a PM with an e-mail address that takes attachments and I will send the file to you.

I coordinated with rokklym concerning the TWT portion of the route. With his consent, I included the TWT segment in the WMDSA file so you only need to get one file to have the complete WMDSA route.

Hopefully the attachments will be back up sometime soon.

If you already send me a request for these tracks a while ago, best to resubmit your request as I have handled so many requests for other tracks and spreadsheets that I probably have lost track on this and might miss somone. :D
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  7. ENDODB4

ENDODB4 b00n

Oddometer:
    Hey Just Brian,

Sent a PM, Dan this the Wee in Howell..... carry on.
  8. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Oh my a route to the Big Woods in Wabino!!!!!
    Hmm, might have to give it a try.....
  9. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    i know you ride a DRZ-400, how about an XR-400? i think i'd have to up the gearing a bit. i've had her up to 66 mph, but she sure wasn't happy about it.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The Michigan stuff would be fine.

The Wisconsin stuff is more roady . . .
  11. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Bobbysands,
    My buddy and I will be doing this trip May 5th. He'll be on cannonshots old DRZ400 and I'll be on my G650x. Neither of the bikes are perfect for every section of the trip, but we're saying screw it and doing it anyways :D. As long as we're street legal, we figure...why not :-)

You could also bring along an extra front sprocket to swap out on the road for when you get to the Wisconsin end of things. Cheap to do, and not revving to the moon....hrmmm I think I'll be picking up an extra sprocket for the G650

Andrew
  12. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    thanks for the input. i was born in WI and most of my family still lives there, most around madison and wausau (birthplace). i've seen a few rustic roads signs as we head from wausau to the U.P.-- beats the hell out of going through chicago to get back to MI if i have the time. always been interested.

i'm straddling the line here. the Strommy 1000 is far too big to go anywhere lower UP but has done hundreds of miles of county highway in WI. the XR 400 has done hundreds of miles of ORV trail but i'm afraid it'll be thrashed on the WI side. i need a stable.

by the bye, this is Jeremy Valley's old XR 400. actually, he wore out the 400 part and now it's a 416 with a wiseco forged piston. he put some serious miles on that bike, i'm guessing. it had a one-bigger front sprocket on it when i bought it from him and i put it back stock.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You'll have a great time with this Ben! I'd knock of the southern WI stuff on a separate weekend and then grab the Manitowoc ferry to do the LP and UP stuff as a block once the nice weather hits.
  14. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    That'd give a guy a chance to pick his tires a little more accuratly for the given terrain too--Knobs for MI and dual sporty tires for WI.

Doesn't quite give the same thrill as a 8 or 9 days in a row on the road though:deal
  15. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for an upper midwest ride for 2011 and I am pretty sure this is IT! I have started a planning discussion here: WMDSA

Looks like this track has some of the more technical stuff I want and then some easier riding as I make my way back home.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I would try to do the Michigan segments early in the trip as they will take the most time. The Wisconsin segments are more like a scenic road ride.

Don't overlook this opportunity though:
    Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

The UPAT is a nice mix and does not require the roadwork in Wisconsin.
  17. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to post a formal Thanks for this route. I just wrapped it up on Friday and it was everything I hoped it would be. I am putting my notes together and will post a trip report soon. I can tell you that even though I am/was a bit green and my bike a bit big (XT600), with fresh tires, the route was a pretty good fit. I especially loved the Western Michigan bits and now may even "like" riding in sand, if that's possible.