Wisconsin Oddities and Motorcycle Travel - Post Your Pix

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Dec 24, 2016.

1. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting Cannon, nice thread, no shortage of pics. I got some WI destinations to hit up that haven't been shared yet. Hoping to get out there riding again soon.
    MHaz01 and Cannonshot like this.
  2. LoopGaroo

LoopGaroo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised the Forevertron hasn't been mentioned yet. The largest scrap-built sculpture in the country (world?). This is located just south of Baraboo on 12, behind Delaney's Surplus.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Moose Dog and Cannonshot like this.
  3. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    Thw weather is almost nice enough to get out there, going to check out the sculpture for sure. We usually take a cage to the dells though.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/WisconsinSupperClubs/photos/?ref=page_internal

Any supper club in Wisconsin is worth a ride to eat. And since there is at least one supper club at most every 60 miles you'd have trouble NOT finding one a short ride away, or a long ride away. Be aware though, supper club tradition is you meet at the bar and have drinks before dinner. So you may have to plan an overnight ride to really enjoy a supper club ride. Not a bad idea either.
    MHaz01 likes this.
  5. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Actually not in Green Bay, but just south of Green Bay in Voyager Park in DePere on the Fox river. In the summer you can park there and walk out on the walking bridge onto the Fox River at the Depere dam, see hundreds of white Pelicans. And the water is full of huge carp. Just down river (that means north on the Fox) is some nationally known Walleye fishing to be had. AND, lots of supper clubs in the area. One of the many reasons I love living in Green Bay. On the west side of the bridge have a great Italian dinner at Pasquales.
  6. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fun to catch, not so good to eat.
    [​IMG]
  7. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the larger longer walleye may have collected PCBs in their fat over time. The Fox River from Oshkosh to the mouth at the south of Green Bay was a paper making world center for many decades. But pollutants were dumped into the river, and the PCB cleanup continues to this day. I've lined in the area of the Fox more than 60 years, and I recall as a kid the active paper companies. Now, just a few really exist. The Fox River is much cleaner now, and the resurgence of game fish, river critters, Pelicans, Bald Eagles is far more obvious than back in the 60's. Up until 15 years ago I don't recall ever seeing a white Pelican on the Fox River. Now they are common and plentiful. Thousand Islands Nature Center on the Fox in Kaukauna is a great stop to see Bald Eagles soaring over the river for fishing.

Biggest walleye I've ever seen was fishing the breakwater of the Menominee River in Marinette where it emptied into Lake Michigan, I recall it was over 30" long. HUGE eyes reflected any light.
    MHaz01 likes this.
  8. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    In Wisconsin, you can select almost any road west and south of I 94 from Madison to Minneapolis and have a GREAT time. Its called the Driftless Area, untouched by the glaciers of the ice age that scoured the center of Wisconsin. There are areas down there, near Cuba City and Potosi that you'd swear you're riding in West Virgina. LOTS of roads just east and north of I 94 are also great to ride. Aw screw it, the whole state is great to ride. But don't tell anyone, we like our two lane Letter highways kinda quiet an lonely. At least I do.
    rihaha and MHaz01 like this.
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in the Driftless Area. I didn’t know it was an oddity. (:photog) Some of the best gravel roads in the state are in Iowa, Grant, and Richland Counties. The area around Cuba City is pretty flat, though. The good stuff in WI is north and west of there.

Here’s some pics to keep the thread on track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MHaz01 and Dangeross like this.
  10. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Cool pics. Didn't know that part if Wisconsin had so many gravel roads. I thought damn near every road in Wisconsin is paved to some degree. looks like lots of fun riding.

Looked this up and surprise! https://gravelmap.com/browse/wisconsin

I did stumble onto a curvy gravel road just north of Green Bay, in Abrams. I was riding a BMW S1000RR. Found this curvy road on the map, except it was about ten miles of gravel. Bike handled it fine, lots of wheel spinning, heh, heh.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this thread will get back on track with people visiting and posting pictures of some WI oddities that they captured while traveling on a motorcycle.

With large group rides being put on hold as a result of COVID-19, some individual or small group motorcycle rides to capture some of the oddities around the state might be an entertaining option for some riders.

Along the same vein, there are still a few extant railroad structures and haunted locations to be photographed around the state as well.

Here are some links to those threads:

Haunted Locations in Wisconsin

Railroad Structures in Wisconsin

Railroad Structures in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Here is a GPX that has the old time gas stations and oddities waypoints in it that haven't already been accounted for in this thread, Might be a reason for some people to take a local ride to take some pix of this stuff and post about it here. Please practice appropriate social distancing measures if you visit some of these this season.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. runpet

runpet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-4-17_7-6-3.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-17_7-8-8.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-17_7-11-29.jpeg
    Top is lookout of Gays Mill. Others near my home in Richland Center
    upload_2020-4-17_7-18-44.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-17_7-21-19.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-17_7-24-13.jpeg upload_2020-4-17_7-24-59.jpeg
    MHaz01, 9Realms, SGrider and 2 others like this.
  14. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Runpet, good to see you are out and about. I recognize the Gays Mills, Yuba, and Readstown pictures. I don't recognize the advice location and the Harmonic resonance location
  15. runpet

runpet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-4-18_6-34-23.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-18_6-35-15.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-18_6-38-5.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-18_6-38-30.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-18_6-39-54.jpeg
    MHaz01, 9Realms and Cannonshot like this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Section of the Great Wall of China on display at the 4WD museum in Clintonville.

[​IMG]

The President of China was so grateful for the innovative 4WD trucks these folks provided that he gave them a hunk of the wall in gratitude.
    [​IMG]

Old style gas station in Manawa. Nice building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MHaz01 likes this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Was once an old style gas station in Hartland.

[​IMG]

Easter Island head in New Berlin.
    [​IMG]

Old style gas station in West Allis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    zDollar Bill and MHaz01 like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Organ Piper Pizza in Greenfield. Big ass organ and music while you eat pizza. Borrow picture of organ from their site since I was COVIDed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MHaz01 likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Muskego old gas station.
    [​IMG]

Waterford old gas station.
    [​IMG]

Waterford old gas station.
    [​IMG]

Burlington old style gas station.
    [​IMG]
    Bultaco206 and zDollar Bill like this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Burlington Liars Club. Couldn't get a straight answer about what it was all about. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used to be a cafe full of UFO stuff. Looks like aliens got 'em.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mormon infighting here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Strang
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a while there was a strange glow coming from the belfry of this church. Colors would change.
    [​IMG]

Eventually some parishiners investigated and found that the lightning rod had been mis-wired and that if struck it would have lit the place off. Some attribute the glow to their god calling attention to the defect.
    [​IMG]
    MHaz01 likes this.