Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I use the fork tubes :thumb

Speaking of OHM reg and stickers, I had an interesting issue when I tried to get an OHM sticker for my new 990 ADV R this year.

I titled and registered the bike in January, but didn't get around to getting an OHM trail pass/sticker until last week. On the GoWild website, it kept making me enter the sale price and thus pay the tax all over again, which I'd already done in January. Seemed odd, as I didn't have to do that with my Husky – I just got the OHM sticker and OHM "license" card. The only option for the OHM sticker alone, without registration and tax, was for out-of-state residents.

So, I called the GoWild hotline. The rep I spoke with told me they didn't have the WI resident OHM sticker process set up correctly yet... So, he told me to just enter my own name and address as the "dealership" where I purchased the bike, and enter the sale price as $0 to eliminate the tax. Seemed odd, but now I have the temporary receipt/pass printed out until the sticker gets here.

Has anyone else had this issue?
    wisbadger likes this.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Riding wet trails is never a good idea as it ruins some parts of them.

When I worked on the OHM statute I put in that the single sticker must be visible. The number plate is a good spot.
    OU812 likes this.
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There has always been an option to indicate that the tax was already paid. That said, there can be a little confusion when using that site.
    OU812, BLucare and wisbadger like this.
  4. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember scratching my head last spring when I tried to register. I eventually did find the option that the tax was already paid but it wasn't intuitive. It is there.
    OU812, BLucare and wisbadger like this.
  5. wisbadger

wisbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I entered the dealership name/address (I also had to call the dealership to get their FEIN for the registration), then checked the box for taxes already paid to the dealer (like @Cannonshot said above). It was kind of a confusing process though, could use some tweaking to improve usability. I received my sticker in about a week ... though I'm still waiting for my DMV license plate :/
  6. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was informed by a DNR officer that they are trained to look for stickers on the backside of your license plate (if your plated). I made a blank
    plate from a sheet of aluminum and bolt it to the back of my license plate. One side has WI stickers and the other side MI and I flip it around
    depending where I'm riding.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I never heard that at all in WI and I worked this from the start. The argument I made was that plastics varied and we only reasonably had space for a single sticker. The only requirement is that it be pretty visible. If it isn't you may get stopped to check further.
    OU812 and BLucare like this.
  8. wisbadger

wisbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks :) I follow some of their Facebook pages and haven't seen yet where they have suggested staying off the trails due to the conditions so thought I'd better ask.

I don't have a number plate on my Honda Rally ... think I'll try the windshield or the fork tubes :)
  9. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Oops. I clearly was not paying attention. :lol3
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Choose the Right Motorcycle Helmet | NHTSA

How to spot an unsafe helmet:
    • Unsafe helmets will be less than 1 inch thick, and usually lack a stiff foam inner liner.
    • Helmets meeting the DOT safety standard have sturdy chin straps with solid rivets. Unsafe helmets may have plastic buckles that can easily break in the event of a crash.
    • Depending on design, unsafe helmets may weigh a pound or less. Helmets meeting the federal standard generally weigh about 3 pounds.
    • Be suspicious of helmets with advertisements such as “thinnest helmet available” and “lightest weight helmet.”
    • The DOT safety standard does not allow anything to extend further than two-tenths of an inch from the surface of a helmet. For example, while visor fasteners are allowed, a rigid spike or other such decorations indicate an unsafe helmet.
    • A design such as the German Army or skullcap style may be a clue to an unsafe helmet. Unsafe helmets are noticeably smaller in diameter and thinner than ones meeting the DOT standard. However, some German Army style helmets may meet federal requirements.
    slider162 and OU812 like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    After many years of effort, we are finally going to be riding dual sport and adventure motorcycles at the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area (old Badger ammo plant).

Too many people told me it would never happen . . . but I never gave up on it and here we are with a brand new club formed specifically to host events there and beyond.

Our newest AMA club is up and running. They will be hosting an event at the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area (old Badger ammunition plant) soon. See their web site for more information. Driftless Dual Sport Riders Motorcycle Club https://www.driftlessdsr.org/

I started working on this in 2012.

After only 9 contentious years we already have an event scheduled. :lol3
    Moto-Wojo, cjracer, b00sted and 14 others like this.
  12. wisbadger

wisbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this ... thanks cannonshot and driftlessdsr :)
    Cannonshot, pigjockey and Bultaco206 like this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I have been working on getting an OHM route approved in Tigerton for months (actually longer since I first wrote it up). The route would allow unlicensed dirt bikes (limited use OHM) to ride the county highway that connects the two trail segments that are separated by a river and would allow people to ride their dirt bikes to the gas station and restaurant nearby. I haven't said much about this because I have been going through some difficulties with getting this done. Making a long story short, today was the day for the county board to consider the proposed ordinance.

What one might expect to be a five minute routine action turned into a 45 minute argument with some determined board members trying to derail this thing multiple times. Multiple amendments/actions were voted on before we finally got down to a yes or no on the ordinance. It passed: 20 for, 5 against, two abstain.

We now will be able to ride limited use motorcycles between trail segments and the gas station on County M. We'll get the signs ordered tomorrow and see if we can't get everything in place before the season ends.

A news reporter followed me out of the meeting to interview me. I gave a nice statement about how good this is for the community, tourism, etc, etc. When asked me what I thought about some of the objections I told him that had if I been allowed to answer more questions I could have cleared some things up so that people would see there really aren't any issues to be concerned about.

The Village of Tigerton, the park manager, and their board were a pleasure to work with as they offered strong support and sent officials and employees to meetings to help get this done. They really see the value of OHM riders at their facility. What a great partnership!

I don't say much about some contentious things I am working on until the goal is achieved. This one small step took months, many trips up north, and a lot of documents/e-mails/phone calls and meetings. Quite an ordeal for something that should have been simple. Determination goes a long way.
  14. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    All the good things you do continue to be appreciated, Bryan!
    OU812 and Cannonshot like this.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

WOHMA has a set of loaner trail tools that clubs and some others can borrow for work on public OHM trails. These can be particularly valuable for working on new trail projects. The set includes a clinometer for layout and some levels that measure slope for more detailed trail work. Silky saws and loppers wear more quickly than the other tools. If some group needs to borrow all or some of the tools for new trail projects, rehab with larger work groups on some weekends, or spot maintenance that requires proper tools, please get in touch. I'll get them sharpened and work with you to make arrangements to loan items to help you meet your public trail needs.

I think we'll probably upgrade to more capable loppers like these Fiskars 32" sometime soon.
    OU812 likes this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Spent a couple of days at Tigerton with Jeramey from ORV Trail Maps - VVMapping.com. We are working to create a new map for the trails at Tigerton. Getting an updated map that has our new OHM trails on it will allow us to get new paper handout maps for the park, new metal "you are here" trail map signs at key points along the trail, and an uploadable GPS background map that has the trails embedded into it. The GPS background map allows riders to navigate trails via GPS and to know their location along the trails as they ride them. I use VVmapping background maps whenever I am riding in the region as they have many excellent features. VVmapping also has a handy trail guide on their web site that gives information about trails in the region. Looking forward to getting everything put together for Tigerton later this year.
    [​IMG]
    pigjockey, BLucare, OU812 and 4 others like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    This red light thing was generally mentioned elsewhere recently. I thought it ws best to cite the statute so that people have a clear understanding of what is allowed when you are stuck at a traffic light that won't change because the sensor doesn't pick up your motorcycle.

346.37(1)(c)(4) Notwithstanding subd. 1., a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle facing a red signal at an intersection may, after stopping as required under subd. 1. for not less than 45 seconds, proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated. The operator of a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle proceeding through a red signal under this subdivision shall yield the right−of−way to any vehicular traffic, pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric personal assistive mobility device proceeding through a green signal at the intersection or lawfully within a crosswalk or using the intersection. This subdivision does not affect any authorization for a bicyclist under subd. 2.

[​IMG]
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The antis went to court this morning to try to stop the Sauk Prairie dual sport event on Sunday. They did not prevail. The event is still a go.

[​IMG]
    BGRooster1, pigjockey, Lutz and 6 others like this.
  20. BLucare

Oddometer:
    What? I wasn't aware anyone was challenging that. Nice result, though.

Which court? Not that I want to get into a discussion about it, but I am curious. :thumb
    Bultaco206 likes this.