Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There is a group that has money that challenges a lot of things. Filed in Sauk County. Don't forget they they had the DNR in court for three years much of which was about motorcycles at Sauk Prairie.
  2. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Jeeeeeezzzzuuuussss :eek7

I won't get into the weeds, but I did some reading. The amount of time, effort, and money that group must have spent fighting this so far has got to be extraordinary.

These guys really hate people having fun. :dunno
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    After only 11 short years of working on it, we had our first dual sport motorcycle event at the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area today. It was a wonderful time. The club we put together to host events there did a fabulous job. They were very conscientious and did everything they were supposed to do and more. They dutifully turned away a couple of bikes during pre-ride screening because they failed the sound test. All the bikes that participated in the event were well within limits. An inspection of our event path after the ride revealed that we had an almost invisible presence. We had visits from various officials that were pleased that things were going so well. The 15 mile loop was scenic and entertaining. I enjoyed it more and more each time I rode it. I heard a number of people say that they were surprised at how entertaining the path turned out to be. The weather was great too. It was nice to see so many riders having such a nice time. We are allowed to ride trails on the property for a certain number of days each year. Today was the first time we were able to take our turn sharing this public land with a dual sport motorcycle event. It went incredibly well and people had a great time! Looking forward to future events!
    [​IMG]
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pigjockey, cjracer, OU812 and 5 others like this.
  5. GunsNGunpla

GunsNGunpla n00b

Oddometer:
    J here. New member based out of Madison. MSF in May, got a F700GS in June, linked up with CJ Designs soon after and now I'm here.

Looking forward to keeping up with off-roading opportunities.
  6. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I just finished registering my WI plated dual sport as an OHM on Go Wild and it is confusing. It took me a while but I figured it out.

When putting in the registration information, you need to click on the button saying you are exempt from paying tax on the vehicle. When you do that a bunch of options pop up. One of them is, it is exempt because tax was paid when registering it with the DMV.

It’s a good thing I had the name & address of the private party I bought the bike from. Not sure it would have gone through without that.

Now I’m looking forward to getting some use out of that sticker.
  7. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who found it confusing :lol3

I remember it being easier a couple years ago when I did it for my Husky. Oh well, at least I know now!
    9Realms and OU812 like this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Nice day at Dyracuse for the WIsconsin ATV/UTV Association VIP Event today. The ATV folks do an outstanding job hosting people from government to experience ATV/UTV riding to develop greater understanding of the issues. Thank you for including OHM and snowmobile reps that are part of our motorized family in this great event! Had an appointment to meet with the new head of State Parks (Steve Schmelzer) prior to the event. A couple of us had a great discussion on a variety of topics. I also got to spend some time with Rep. Jeff Mursau to let him know how great things are going with the motorcycle program. Years ago I wrote a paper expressing the need for, and some general components of, an OHM program/statute for Wisconsin. One day I was sitting at home when the phone rang and it was Rep. Mursau calling from the Capitol. He asked if I wrote the OHM paper and I answered that I did. He said it was "pretty good" and he bought in to sponsoring OHM legislation which after a number of years of hard work enabled us to get where we are today. Sen Jerry Petrowski joined on the Senate side once we got things put together in the legislature. I am forever grateful to Rep. Mursau (and Sen. Petrowski) for their commitment to our interests and am proud to share some of the great achievements we've enjoyed so far because of this law.

More on the event and some great things going on at Dyracuse in another post.

In the picture below Rep Mursau is on the left, I'm in the middle, and Steve Schmelzer is on the right.
    [​IMG]
    Lutz, Ajacks, Spillage and 7 others like this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    While I was at Dyracuse I toured the new trails and the challenge course for ATVs that were recently constructed there. It all all pretty awesome. ATV trails are open to motorcycles and there are some new single track OHM trails on the property now as well. I GPS mapped the new ATV trails but still have to go back and map the single track OHM (soon). The new trails have some steep elevation and some outstanding features. The ATV trails were constructed with ATV funds and we contributed funds for the OHM trails. Here are a few pix and a link to the gallery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ajacks, TimCC, cjracer and 4 others like this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Much of the work I do in support of motorized recreation does not get discussed here for a variety of reasons. As an example, over the past months I have been working with some people in government in a county in Wisconsin to provide input on some ordinances they were developing. Trying to develop an ordinance can be a big project and some topics, like OHM, can be difficult to address without a good familiarity with the statutes and provisions of the program. I made a number of multi-page written recommendations over the months to provide input in a effort to get an accurate document that would best serve everyone involved. Many of those recommendations were adopted (and appreciated). Some recommendations were not adopted and after submitting them over and over I offered multiple times to go to the county to sit down with a drafter to work through those issues. Sometimes complex topics are best addressed through in-person discussion. In the end there was an external deadline that led to the county passing the ordinance even with known defects. My last written input listing what still needed to be addressed was a little over five pages long. Hopefully there will be some amendments to address remaining issues with the now enacted motorized recreation ordinance. One of the roles of the associations in WI is to work with others on topics we are involved with to make sure we all get the best products and outcomes for everyone involved. Below is a small extract from one of my input submissions that shows an example of addressing an issue with the draft ordinance.
    [​IMG]
    Klasjm, Lutz, Blade_004 and 5 others like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    OHM Council Meeting today. We approved a bridge to connect the two OHM trail segments at Tigerton. Without the bridge we have to leave the park and run a county highway to get between trail segments. Soon we'll have a direct connection within the park. That trail project was built with volunteer labor saving the program a lot of money. Our program continues to grow. A priority for the council is to try to develop some opportunities in the very underserved southern part of the state. We also have been trying to develop more Trials opportunities on public land but haven't been getting the support we need from the Trials community. We have a stalled project at Dyracuse right now. Hopefully that will change. All things in time.
    [​IMG]
    BLucare, TimCC, Dangeross and 5 others like this.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    State Trails Council meeting today. We talked about some ideas for funding trails. We also made some policy recommendations for funding levels under the Recreational Tails Program. As a side note, the Recreational Trails Program can provide part of the funds (grants) for motorized and non-motorized trail projects. The money comes from federal gas taxes on fuel purchased for motorized recreation where the vehicles are used on trails and not highways. The tax that would have applied to highways is made available for trails. Right now many believe that the estimate for the amount of fuel being used on trails is low and that if it were adjusted to a more accurate amount we would be seeing more RTP money coming to the states for projects.
    [​IMG]
    OU812, Dangeross, BLucare and 4 others like this.