Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Sure wish the cops would actually enforce the law. Here we are trying to quietly get along, and the street bikes run open pipes and it's cool.

I like the part about the animals :lol3
  2. Tricky12u

Tricky12u n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some guidance where WI ATV trails are concerned. I live in NE WI and own a Yamaha WR400R (not titled or licensed, but I do have my OHM sticker) so I'm pretty excited about the changes taking place in WI.
    Locations I can ride the WR are still pretty limited, but information about those locations and restrictions is readily available.
    My question is, I also own a BMW G650GS and I understand (I think) I have more options available to me since it's licensed and road legal. What I can't find is information stating that I can or cannot take this bike on ATV/OHV trails, if there are restrictions, or is it allowed on some trails but not others? I'm just not certain how ATV trails work with road legal licensed dual sport motorcycles.
    Any information or web links would be appreciated!

BTW, I joined the WOHMA last year, keep up the good work!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Start here. Scroll down the first post to find "Where to Ride Trails in WI".
    BLucare likes this.
  4. Tricky12u

Tricky12u n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks! Guess it always pays to start at the beginning! I'll read through everything and let you know if I have any more questions. I appreciate the help.
  5. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that you cannot ride an OHM (street-legal or not) on any ATV trails, unless those trails are specifically marked and state that you CAN. I have also been looking into this lately, as I'll be doing a lot of riding near Eagle River this year, where there are many ATV trails. I got the info from here:

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ohm/documents/OHM-regs-2016.pdf

"All ATV/UTV trails are closed to OHM use unless specifically opened for their use. Check with local authorities."
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I attended another meeting yesterday with one of the councils I serve on. I should explain that serving as an advocate for this kind of stuff doesn't just involve attending a meeting every now and then. To prepare for this meeting I put in about 20 hours of work. This involved reviewing grant requests, formulating questions/issues to explore, referencing back to some previous requests, mapping request locations for the council, and even taking a look at some things using aerial imagery. The meeting itself was to review submissions and identify what additional information or clarifications were needed. The meeting turned out to be another 12 hours with travel. So, 32 hours in this one "meeting" so far. We'll have another meeting to actually work on the funding for about $4.8M worth of grant requests. Preparation for the next meeting will involve some days of travel around the state to visit many of the grant request locations to develop a more informed view of what the request involves so as to make the best decisions possible for everyone related to these requests. By the way, visits to grant request trail locations is anything but a recreational ride, but let's not get into that. After that, the next meeting will involve two days with travel and a challenging effort to make the best recommendations since dollars available don't always cover dollars requested. This is just one topic of a broad range of other topics, projects, issues, concerns, and additional councils or representative roles. For volunteer work, this often adds up to essentially having a job - but without the wages that usually come with it. It is ironic that some people get so involved in working to advocate for the recreation they enjoy that they limit their own opportunities to get to enjoy it themselves.
    OU812, Layton, BENRON and 6 others like this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Tonight's project is to draft some material that aims to bring user preferences to the forefront when dealing with trail design and construction. There is more to all this of course including two papers (about 38 pages) previously submitted on this project - along with a couple of meetings. Just plodding along trying to get the right outcomes . . .

:D
    Lutz likes this.
  8. mndza

mndza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I received my sticker today and plan on going to Bong often. I thought I read somewhere that you could place the sticker BEHIND your license plate. I can't find this statement in the regulations book though. But I'm sure I read it while registering my dual sport bike. I remember it because it didn't make sense that they allow it since it's almost invisible there so I re-read it to make sure. Can anyone confirm this? I don't like the idea of sticking this to my bike.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    When I was working on the legislation, I made it a point to not prescribe a specific location for the sticker. The reason for this, and for my only wanting a requirement for a single sticker (not two), is that plastics on the variety of bikes involved vary significantly. Also, some people have plastic tanks. Because of this the requirement became: "The OHM registration decal must be affixed to the exterior of the OHM by its own adhesive and clearly visible to law enforcement at all times. Only one decal is issued to each OHM." So, as long as you are not trying to hide it and can explain why it is placed there instead of on more visible available portions of the bike, you should be OK. If you have other options, best to use them. I have mine on the front number plate.
  10. mndza

mndza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply and for all your work on this. I'll probably just go ahead and put it on the fork. I don't think I could come up with a good reason for putting it behind the plate. Plus it's orange. Perfect for KTM :D
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Rob McConnell and I have been working to see about getting an off-highway motorcycle trail project at the ATV park in Tigerton.

Rob and I serve together on both the ORV (ATV/UTV) Council and the OHM Council.

A few weeks ago we visited the park and met with the park manager to discuss more details about this initiative and to take a look at a potential location. It was clear we could make something work.

Last week I went to Tigerton and did a presentation about the proposal with a council committee and some others. All thought the trail project was a good idea and recommended approval. There was also some talk about future expansion of the trail beyond what we initially discussed. Yesterday the full council met and gave the go-ahead for the project.

I looked at a couple of other existing area clubs to support the project, but in the end Tigerton preferred the option that we form a local club that is based there. I will be working on that.

There is a lot to do to get this project developed. A step at a time.

This will be a nice destination as there is camping on site as well.

https://www.tigertonwi.com/campground-atv-park

And let's not forget that we already have a trail project underway in Vilas County. We need some more people to volunteer to help with construction there. Hopefully the first (beginner) loop will be open later this year. Please visit the Landover DualSporter's Club on Facebook.
    OU812, InTheMuck, vwboomer and 2 others like this.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Sent a letter to the Natural Resources Board as a representative of the Off-Highway Motorcycle Council expressing our support for the NRB to approve the Statement of Scope for our Administrative Code project. We have an OHM statute in place but still need to have the supporting administrative code developed so that we can fully execute the program.
    Mark4931, BLucare and Bultaco206 like this.
  13. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    I was reading about the trails in Oconto county, and I saw on the DNR website this: "Street-legal off-highway motorcycles are permitted on the Nicolet State Trail in Forest County when ATV use is allowed. OHMs are not allowed on the trail in Florence and Oconto counties." Does this refer to plated, non-plated, or no bikes at all?
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    When I went to Forest County to get access to the State trails there, in the end they decided to only allow dual sport motorcycles in Forest County. It is signed as such. The Oconto County ATV trail system is closed to motorcycles. I tried to get that changed but was unable to do so. However, a portion of the Oconto County ATV trail is based in the national forest there. The county rules do not apply in the national forest so motorcycles are allowed to ride that portion of the trail system that is in the national forest in Oconto County. [I have some GPS tracks published to assist riders with this.] Again we are talking about dual sports and not limited use motorcycles. Once a limited use bike hits the roads, it can be illegal if it is not allowed for by a designated OHM route for a formal designation in the MVUM.

So, DOT dual sports with a WI OHM sticker are OK in Forest County and on Oconto County trails that are in the national forest.
    c-zulu, OU812, BLucare and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    Ok that makes sense in the context of the National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map. Thank you for the clarification. On a side note, one would think that any trail systems receiving state Registration sticker funds would benefit to open to all users of the state ATV/UTV/OHM sticker system.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Well, it is a little more complex than that and it involves money.
    Mark4931 likes this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    We had a State Trails Council meeting in Sturgeon Bay on Friday.

You may remember I have been involved with a trail standards project that involves the DNR and some others. That project is expanding to address more types of trails. It involves some basic specifications and varying levels of development. More to come on this.

I also invited an outfit to make a presentation to the council. They have some excellent offerings for a variety of events and trail systems. Trail Genius
    Lutz, InTheMuck and Bultaco206 like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Skidrowe, BLucare, c-zulu and 2 others like this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    BLucare, Blade_004, GR0NK and 4 others like this.