Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The comment period for the admin code for OHM that was scheduled for August has been moved to September. I'll share more as we get closer.

The DNR will be taking comments on the draft version of the OHM administrative code this month. I'll prepare some notes to draw from so that as we comment we are speaking with a unified voice. It will also be helpful to sort out some of the details for people since there is a lot of try to cover. There will be an in-person hearing later this month that a few of us will attend. I'll share some points to draw from and instructions on how to comment to the DNR in a few days. There are only a few things that we need to address in our remarks. Many of you will likely get a "blast" e-mail. Better not to respond until you get a chance to review some comments here.
  2. Johnny Phoenix

Johnny Phoenix Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forgive my ignorance, but where are we at as far as OHM's and state funded trails are concerned? I live near both the Tri-County Trail (Iowa, Lafayette, Green Counties) and Pecatonica State Trail (Iowa, Grant Counties). According to various sources, The Pec Trail requires a state OHM sticker, but the Tri-Trail requires a separate sticker ($15) unless you have an ATV registration sticker. Is OHM money supporting ATV trails, and if so, WTF??? In my case, that would make it triple taxation, as my motorcycle is on-road registered, off-road registered, and a third trail sticker? Shit, why don't I just give up motorcycling altogether and try basket weaving...
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    It has all been covered here and I just don't have the patience at this moment to respond to all this drama.
  4. Johnny Phoenix

Oddometer:
    No problem, I just stumbled across this thread and haven't had the time to read all of it. I'll try to read thru it over the weekend to get up to speed, but consider me in your corner. I emailed various trail administrators for comment, but never received the courtesy of a reply ( yes, you Tri-County Trail, happy to post the email contents here...").
  5. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi @Johnny Phoenix,

I'm not familiar with the trails you mentioned but, I do know the OHM program is up and running. A new trail opened in Vilas county last year which I believe OHM funds were part getting that trail put in, thank you Brian and the Landover Dualsporters Club.

As for the triple tax, I get more pleasure out off those triple tax fees than I get out of all first and second taxation combined. This year I have probably paid $60 in triple taxation stickers giving me access to thousands of acers of off-road motorcycle riding in Wisconsin and other states.

Charley
    OU812 and BLucare like this.
  6. Johnny Phoenix

Oddometer:
    My point with the third tax, as it were, is why should us motorcyclists pay additional access fees to trails that our OHM fees are contributing to (in theory) when ATV's and OHV's do not. If a trail system requires a fee (sticker) for access, that's fine, so long as they don't single out one group of users. I realize that ultimately someone has to pay for maintenance and upkeep of the trail systems, and user fees are the preferred vehicle. Where I get disillusioned is when it's mandatory for one group of users, but optional for another, when they both paid the same initial price of admission. I've attempted to contact the trail administrators in the past, but never hear a peep.

All I'm after is equality in access.

JP
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Once again . . .

The OHM law was passed that allows us to sell stickers to generate funds to build and sustain trails for OHM riders to enjoy. The funds can be used for OHM trails and also can be used to contribute to ATV trails where we are allowed access. We (OHM riders) have been operating on many ATV trails for years without contributing with the exception of some RTP grants which have not been significant and come from federal gas tax money. The law requires that an OHM sticker be purchased to operate on any public trail.

Even though we passed a law, we still need administrative code to fully implement the OHM program. That process takes about three years and is being worked now.

Once everything is in place, we can fully implement the program and pay trail maintenance and do more with grants for trails. In the mean time, counties or other entities that are hosting trails still have to pay their bills. Therefore some must still rely on a local sticker or permit to support their trail. Once the OHM program is fully implemented they can abandon their local sticker and rely on funds from the OHM program. Naturally they are waiting to see how much money they will be able to receive through the OHM program before they abandon their own local sticker. They have to pay the bills.

For what I pay for motorized recreation equipment, parts, travel, and maintenance, buying stickers is a minor expense. And any money we are collecting in the OHM program goes to bringing more opportunities to us in the future.

I serve on two councils that deal with doling out money to support trails so I know what the costs are.

Be grateful that we have mechanisms to develop and maintain trails that is as inexpensive as it is.
    OU812 likes this.
  8. Johnny Phoenix

Oddometer:
    I apologize if I sound like I'm carping; that's not my intention.

I'm hoping the trail operators will come around and address the OHM situation, because to be honest, by not honoring the OHM registration, there is virtually no reason the have it. When the new OHM law was enacted, I registered my bike to support the trail systems and OHM usage in general. Prior to the law, I purchased my sticker and went on my way. I was under the impression that the new law would address the funding discrepancy and allow for a more uniform trail pass system, the way the snowmobile trail pass works. At least in my neck of the woods, that does not seem to be the case*.

So, if we want to grow the OHM segment, and trail access/maintenance fund in general, trail operators need to recognize the OHM registration in the way they do with ATV's and OHV's, otherwise it will kill the OHM initiative.

*It may have changed, but several emails I sent to the trail administrator have gone unanswered, nor have I noted any changes on their web page.

Peace,

JP
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the lecture. It seems that you are set on complaining and have little interest in understanding where we have been, where we are going, and what we have to do as we evolve. Trust me, there are some people with a very deep understanding of all of the issues involved guarding our interests and proactively working on these things.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The very hardworking club members opened another trail segment on the Tamaracks trail project in Vilas County a few days ago. This first loop has matured very well since last year. The new loop takes things up a step and offers some great features. This is a project that has been years in the making that is producing a great new riding opportunity for off-highway motorcyclists. The plan includes a future challenging third loop in addition to the two the club has completed so far. If you haven't tried this OHM trail, it is worth a trip to do so. If you have a dual sport bike you can also enjoy some GPS mapped dual sport rides in the area in addition to the OHM trail riding. Those can be found in the GPS library on cannonshot.net. We have a trail project going at Tigerton right now and a trials project at Dyracuse. Still working to build more OHM trails as we can develop opportunities and form clubs to support the projects. I'd really like to get another new trail project set up to begin next year in addition to some further development. Some things are in the works but aren't far enough along yet.
    OU812, Mow-ree, Bultaco206 and 3 others like this.
  11. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to support the Tigerton trail project at this point?
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed this earlier. Yes there is. I need to run up to Tigerton to see what is happening there and I can post more about it later.
    OU812 and Mark4931 like this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    We'll need to submit some comments on the draft OHM code. I'll prepare some points for people to draw from so that we are speaking with a unified voice. Written submissions will be helpful. There will also be a hearing later this month some of us will attend in person.
    OU812 likes this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  15. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your response.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The Trail Signing Handbook has been published. We had some meetings to get this worked out for the various user groups. We also had to argue a little about the motorcycle trail signs which are now in the manual. Route signs are dictated by federal signage standards which is why the OHM signs are text signs in the form they are in.

https://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/c...AnYVSiA6FECR9kkCPaCsiaIFSK9MfAelejEr39UYOmZ6g
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned, I'll put out some notes for people to use to comment on the proposed administrative code that will supplement the OHM statute. It will be important that we have a unified voice and a lot of comments. I have been working to resolve some things with the DNR via a meeting and phone calls. Some progress. Some things pending right now. I plan to hold off on publishing the notes to refer to until I know the outcome of the issue that is pending right now.
    OU812 likes this.
  18. stevos758

stevos758 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just joined to try and help out as well. Trying to get through this thread when time permits. Im in Chippewa Falls, Im not good at public speaking but I am good at other things, I would say im a good people person but just not public speaking. LOL. Wondering if we have any local clubs started? Lots of areas and ATV/UTV stuff around that would be great if opened up to us. My dad was in one of the snowmobile clubs for a while. I've been meaning to talk with him and start getting some local contacts. Also Bryan, words can not express how I feel about your efforts. Thank you and all the others who have come this far.
    pigjockey likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I did get a club started up there a few years back. Not sure how active they are right now. I'm sending you my phone number via conversation message. Please call me as I could use you help tomorrow.
    stevos758 likes this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Negotiations with the DNR have not resolved our concerns with some things the DNR is trying to do in the administrative code. That back and forth continued until late last night. The end state is that the objectionable material is still in the draft code and we need to address it through the hearing and comment process.

Frankly, this never should have gotten to this point but it was mismanaged within the DNR and now we are stuck in a spot that requires us to address some problems with a strong and unified presence through public comment.

As I mentioned, I will prepare notes for people to draw from to submit written remarks to the DNR. The written comments we generate must be submitted by September 30th. I will do that after the public hearing tomorrow because I need to see what other information comes out during the hearing to make sure we cover all that we should.

In the mean time there are opportunities to make comments in person at 5PM tomorrow at DNR offices in Eau Claire, Rhinelander, Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Madison. I have been working with some people to make appearances in these locations. This involves sharing some notes with them that highlight the issues we want to comment on and speaking with them ahead of time to ensure there is a clear understanding and that we are speaking with a unified voice. If you are available and are willing to present our concerns in person please get in touch with me and I'll speak with you about it.
    BLucare, Fat Chance, Mow-ree and 2 others like this.