Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I am very proud of the people that were able to testify today - even with only short notice. You guys were fabulous! Thank you for being there when we needed you!
    InTheMuck, BLucare, Ajacks and 6 others like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    And poor Stevos758 . . . brand new to this . . . only guy in Eau Claire . . .and he was the very first to testify.

He did a good job too!
    InTheMuck, BLucare, Ajacks and 6 others like this.
  3. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @stevos758 thanks for breaking the ice.
    Ajacks, Mow-ree and stevos758 like this.
  4. stevos758

stevos758 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3 Thrown right to the wolves! Funny I just got in contact with Bryan a few days ago. Our first conversion was oh hey there is this hearing I would like you to testify at.... Guess its good for me to help my weak area of public speaking! I hope I did not sound too bad! Of course I show up and they told me we were the first too speak.... Im happy I went. Hoping I can do more for our cause. If anyone around here wants to ride or let me know if there is a club to join give me a shout! Thank all of you who went as well! I did show up on my TW200 to make a good impression! :lol3
    Mark4931, TimCC, TheBigH and 6 others like this.
  5. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for speaking for those of us who could not make it. In my opinion, most of public speaking is not what you say, but how you say it. Just getting our voice heard is a large part of the battle, and I appreciate you doing it even if you were nervous.
    BLucare, stevos758 and Ajacks like this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please submit an e-mail comment to the DNR no later than Monday, 30 Sep 2019. This action isn't about helmets, it is about the DNR trying to be more restrictive than allowed by law or than they need to be. It needs to be objected to since we want to discourage this kind of unreasonable behavior in the future.

Actually, don't wait. Just cut and paste this and send it to DNRAdministrativeRulesComments@wisconsin.gov NOW.

Sample notes to draw from (I have basic information here but feel free to apply your own words and style as long as the message is consistent - or cut and paste.)

SUBJECT: Proposed OHM Code

"Hello, my name is ___, I live in ___, and I am an off-highway motorcyclist.

I am here to comment on the rules the DNR is proposing for the off-highway motorcycle program.

The DNR is trying to bring forward additional helmet restrictions that exceed what is allowed by the OHM statute. Our off-highway motorcycle representatives have pointed this out to the DNR. The DNR rejected our concerns and has included additional requirements for helmet use in the rules being proposed in this action.

The off-highway motorcycle statute clearly states what the helmet requirements are for all corridors in Wisconsin. The DNR must rescind their previous helmet use requirements, and not try to bring them forward, since they have been superseded by the current Wisconsin statute.

These requirements closely align with other programs like ATV and snowmobile riding. No actions are being taken to add additional helmet use requirements for ATV riders, snowmobile riders, horse riders, bicyclists, kayakers, and many other groups on public land. Off-highway motorcycle riders are being singled out for more restrictions while other groups are not suffering similar proposed restrictions.

By the way, most off-highway motorcycle riders wear a helmet while riding on trails so there is no burning need to try to compel more restrictive helmet use anyway.

None of us want what seems to be arbitrary additional restrictions put into place – especially when they are contrary to the existing statute that governs helmet use.

There is a locally generated off-highway motorcycle trail sign icon pictured in the proposed code.

For probably 50 years or more we have been using a generic off-highway motorcycle icon for trail signs not only in Wisconsin but elsewhere across the country. There are slight variations in the icon and some of that is attributable to the various manufacturers having slightly different versions. What is most important is that these icons, despite their slight variations, resemble an off highway motorcycle. This system has served us well without any significant issues. The DNR proposed a unique sign particular to Wisconsin that required that the icon have knobby tires. We don’t need the DNR to create an anomaly for Wisconsin. Since this is not a standard icon it would have to be special ordered from suppliers. There is no reason for the DNR to introduce confusion and unnecessary requirements for a Wisconsin unique symbol that in the end could only be required on state lands. We don’t need to do something different than what is generally done on other federal and county lands in the state. Although we are told that the language that specifically requires the knobby tires on the icon has been removed, the icon that is listed in the code still has the knobby tires. That locally and unnecessarily generated anomaly needs to be removed and replaced with a generic icon similar to those already in use. The knobby tired icon needs to disappear forever since it only creates turmoil and confusion and does nothing to enhance the program for off-highway motorcyclists.

Thank you for accepting my remarks.

Sincerely,

XYZ"
    Lutz, InTheMuck, TheBigH and 3 others like this.
  7. Ajacks

Ajacks "Not in the face"

Oddometer:
    Done
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. InRoostWeTrust

InRoostWeTrust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but what's this helmet business all about? Is there a link somewhere to the proposed language?
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    https://dnr.wi.gov/news/input/documents/rules/CF1917DraftRule.pdf

The problem is trying to bring 45.05 forward which requires more restrictive rules than the OHM statute about helmet use.

It isn't about helmets . . . it is about the DNR trying to carry forward rules that have been superseded by the statute and are more restrictive than what is specified in the statute. OHM riders pretty much wear helmets anyway, but we don't want the DNR to start overstepping their authority with essentially arbitrary requirements that single out our group and that are also more restrictive than the statute.
    papalobster, Bultaco206 and BLucare like this.
  11. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bryan, sorry I missed the DNR meeting in Green Bay. short notice. I wish I could have been there, I have had many meetings and presentations with the DNR over the last 30 years. :D. :rolleyes :lol3

I sent the email with a few slight modifications to make it less like a simple form letter :D

thanks for keeping an eye out for us !
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The Tigerton OHM trail project needed a boost so I went up there and laid out the trail today. The DNR has been there to look for places we shouldn't go. I have it marked and mapped. We need to get a work crew to help trim some limbs, logs, and brush in some spots. After a few hours work doing that, we can get on it and ride to find the right lines and better define the layout. This will help with some trail work that will need to be done later on. This segment is about 2 1/2 miles long. We need to get this one in place so we can look at getting some more miles of trails in place at the park.

So, how about Saturday, October 5th? We need people to bring a few chain saws, some loppers, and some folding saws. I have some segments that we can assign different people or groups to so we can work simultaneously to get things opened up so we can spend the afternoon doing some riding to help refine some things.

There are some nice features and elevation changes on this trail. It is NOT a trail for brand new riders.

Let's get some people together on Saturday, October 5th. Please be at the Tigerton ATV park NLT 10AM.

[​IMG]
    TimCC and Lutz like this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    So . . . not a single volunteer here . . . yikes.
  14. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in Niagara WI.but am trying to make it work!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  15. stevos758

stevos758 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will see what I can do. 2 hour drive for me though. I'll get back to you asap. the TW200 is a great trailblazer ; ) How late do you expect us to be working/testing?
    Cannonshot likes this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    As late as you like. It is almost 3 hours for me. The more folks we have makes for quicker work and more riding.
    Lutz and stevos758 like this.
  17. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m also going to try and make it.
    Cannonshot and stevos758 like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I've been at Tigerton since Tuesday night. I should have the trail thoroughly marked and cut open tomorrow. When folks get here Saturday I'll give them trail sections to clean up and ride in. Then we'll ride the whole thing as a group as long as people want to.
  19. stevos758

stevos758 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone that can make it! I will not be able to make this one unfortunately.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'll get over to the site about 0815 to get some early arrivals started. If you get there and I am out on the trail, start riding the flagged trail clockwise and we'll run into each other and I'll get you a section assigned. Otherwise I'll make it a point to be at the parking area at 10AM.