Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Update on the new OHM trail at Tigerton. I laid it out and mapped it last week. This week I spent three days cutting and marking the trail. Today a hearty group of 7 volunteers spent the day riding in and clearing the treadway, adjusting a couple of lines, cutting some benches, doing some more trimming, closing some paths, and bumping up some markings. These guys are great! They knew what had to be done, worked in small groups, and knocked things out very quickly. Fast and efficient. AND, they worked in a steady rain for three hours as if they didn't realize it was raining. I'm very proud of these volunteers and am elated to have spent the day working with such an outstanding group of folks. A HUGE THANK YOU TO THE VOLUNTEERS THAT WERE ABLE TO HELP OUT TODAY! Once we properly sign the trail in spring it will be open for public riding. A parking lot and a kiosk will be going in right inside the gate along CTH M. The trail has a lot of entertaining and sometimes challenging features and I was glad to hear that people were very enthusiastic about their experience riding there. But, better you hear that from some of them instead of me. So, we'll press on in the spring to finish things up. In the mean time I'll work on getting more miles there. Regarding the pix, they are just a few random shots I took when I ran into people on the trail. I didn't try to highlight any of the notable features on the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lutz, Ajacks, vwboomer and 9 others like this.
  2. TheBigH

TheBigH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the hard work and Cannon for organizing as well. Looks like a fun ride. Will plan to check it out next season! Keep us posted if more help is needed.
    OU812 likes this.
  3. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    looks fun.
  4. stevos758

stevos758 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone who could make it! Looks really fun! I cant wait!
    OU812 likes this.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    In case I haven't mentioned it, we won that argument we were having with the DNR about helmets and signs. Thanks all who responded to the call for action I put out and especially those that were able to testify in person. The code project is back on track.
    OU812, Lutz, TheBigH and 7 others like this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Three years ago I testified before the Natural Resources Board and won very contested dual sport motorcycle access to the Sauk Prairie State Recreation Area at the old Badger ammunition plant.

Although we couldn't get a dedicated OHM trail, I was able to get temporary repurposing on other trails for six days per year. Winning against a huge anti movement back then was important. I wanted to win the concept of repurposing so we could use it later at other properties.

Antis took the DNR to court.

Three years later we are back to considering the original plan again.

We won just like we did the first time.

My testimony is at 50:00 and 1:51:40 if you are curious about how some of these things work.

https://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/c...1d?catalog=9da0bb432fd448a69d86756192a62f1721

The board was remarkably supportive of our interests. After my second segment of testimony you can continue to hear some of their arguments. I really liked to hear that some believed that they should do more for groups that are sometimes excluded.

There is a little more nuance to some of the comments that would be more distinct if you have followed this process from the beginning.

So, there are no trails there (yet) to share. Once that starts to come into view we will form a dual sport club to support our events at the property and get involved from the beginning.
    OU812, Klasjm, TheBigH and 9 others like this.
  7. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Great work! Thank you for your time, energy, and dedication to our cause.

:beer
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. wisbadger

wisbadger n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that link, was interesting listening to the testimonies. Great job and thank you!!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Governor's State Trails Council today. Meeting was in Milwaukee and we looked at some urban issues with people from the state, county, and city. I got re-elected as Chairman for another term. Since the council has members that represent some of the uses at Sauk Prairie, I am going to schedule a meeting there to get an update on plans for the property.
    OU812, Bultaco206, Lutz and 4 others like this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Recreation Stakeholder meeting today with the DNR. After that I went over to Tigerton to work on the trail signage plan and order for the new OHM trail there. Walked (hobbled) along the trail to record it again (GPS) and to work out the signage. Beautiful day and a very scenic setting. After that month of rain and saturated soil things dried out very nicely. Somehow some new limbs appeared that need to be trimmed. We also need to tidy up some excavations to make sure water is able to drain properly. Walking the trail reminded me of some of the great features there. Looking forward to getting this signed and opened in the spring.
  11. stevos758

stevos758 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! Cant wait to get over there in the spring. Let us know ahead of time and I can try and be over to help.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Did more scouting at Tigerton today. While I was at it I did a complete GPS map of all of the ATV trails there as a courtesy to provide current information to the park and some people that provide GPS maps. Took a close enough look at things that I had to winch myself out. There is a lot of potential for some very entertaining and advanced OHM trail in some parts of the park beyond what we have developed already. Spoke with a village official again today and talked about some possibilities. I am also going to speak with the Trails folks to see about doing a Trials event there. It could be a prime facility for that. I'm going to ask Phil Smage to join me in exploring some potential Trails opportunities there. In addition to trying to add more OHM trail I think it would be good to designate 5-8 small areas that have large Trails related features as open Trials practice areas. Of course, this wouldn't exclude anyone else from those features. If it happens that we can expand some OHM opportunities there, it would be good to include Trials as well. Considering the terrain and features of the park, additional OHM trail miles there could make the place one of the most attractive motorcycle trail opportunities in Wisconsin. We could include some challenging stuff if we also include some by-passes as well. In the mean time, I'll keep working on things. Sometimes it takes a while to put things together so be patient. :D
    OU812, Klasjm, Lutz and 4 others like this.
  13. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. ChiefOshkosh

ChiefOshkosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian, I worked the initial Tigerton Saturday and we spoke briefly regarding Knobby Ridge among other topics.

Anyway, there's the section of single track that has been closed for years.

I'd be happy to help clean it up next year if we can get a group of guys willing to do it. Maybe a FB post and bang...we have workers, huh?

Cheers,
    Shawn
    OU812 likes this.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Shawn, MOTR is handling that trail. I don't know what the current plans are for that section. I know the county parks guy got a few people into a trail school toward that end. The best thing to do on Knobby Ridge would be to get in touch with MOTR https://motrweb.webs.com/ and get on their notification list.