Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Interesting bit of information from an article in Powersports Business. Sales of on-highway motorcycles, which include scooters and dual-purpose bikes, were steady compared with 2019, while interest in off-highway motorcycles spiked, with sales up 46.5% year-over-year. Off-highway motorcycles include dirt bikes, trail bikes, competition motorcycles, and other motorized two-wheelers that cannot be used on public roads. Sales of ATVs also jumped, rising 33.8% over 2019.
    djroszina, OU812, Lutz and 2 others like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Boulder Junction town board just voted down ATV recreation there.
  3. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is my Husky and electric bicycle considered an ATV?
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You're good up there. They like us . . . and there isn't much they can do about licensed motorcycles anyway.
  5. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, the only motors they like up there are autos, snowmobiles and boats.
  6. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been made to feel quite welcome, numerous times, as a dualsporter. Even been thanked for being in town. :dunno
    OU812 likes this.
  7. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Ok, I’ll put it another way. They promote their beautiful scenic roads for taking a lovely drive with your family and stopping at their wonderful dining establishments, motels, and such. They also promote their world class fishing and water sports. Finally they advertise their miles and miles of scenic snowmobile trails along with businesses catering to them along the way.

They don’t want ATVs, and I’ve never seen a “Welcome Bikers” in that area...it just doesn’t fit with their minds vision of their area.
  8. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I'm also gonna push back on that a bit, respectfully. Although I've never attended, the annual Central ADVRider Rally (CADVR) is held in Boulder Junction every year, and I believe it has been held there since long before I joined this forum. I ride though Boulder at least once per year on my own, sometimes more often, and I've never gotten any dirty looks or aggressive attitudes.

I honestly think the road-legal dual sport/adventure bike crowd is just viewed differently (more positively) than the ATV/UTV crowd, perhaps because people really don't see us as being too different from other motorcyclists. Motorcycles have been around for a long time, and I think dual sport adventure riders kinda fly under the radar as a group. I don't think that's as true for UTVs/ATVs, which have jumped into the public consciousness in the last few years due to the explosion of popularity. I say all of this as someone who grew up in Eagle River. I've watched Eagle River become overrun, mostly with UTVs lately, ever since the city passed its ordinance a few years ago that UTVs are allowed on city streets within the city limits, and on certain snowmobile trails.

Many locals up there view ATVs/UTVs as a nuisance in the summertime. Why? Because summertime has historically been the season of escape from the snowmobile noise, and it's the time of year when more people are outdoors on the lakes, hiking trails, biking, etc. Snowmobiles have also been around up there as a form of recreation going back to the 1950s - 1960s, much longer than dual sport bikes. So, snowmobiling as a hobby has had decades to build a following, and towns learned rather quickly that catering to the snowmobile crowd has its benefits. Ever since the recent UTV explosion, UTVs have become a point of contention with the "silent sports" crowd.

Dual sport motorcycles, which are road legal and require a license and insurance, are generally viewed as a more responsible, respectful crowd. UTVs operating on city streets don't require insurance, registration, or a license. Those factors present a ton of problems when it comes to convincing the public that those vehicles should be allowed on their streets alongside cars, pedestrians, motorcycles, and bicyclists. Dual sport/adventure motorcycles do not have those issues.

I'm not saying all these generalizations are necessarily true, fair, or accurate; just passing along the comments I've heard over the years from friends and family still living up there.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :thumb
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    And you won’t. They all but roll out the red carpet for us. :thumb

https://boulderjct.org/motorcycling-dual-sports/

E1E63D6A-F1E9-470E-BF6E-554026789D72.jpeg
    9Realms, OU812, Lutz and 4 others like this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Congratulations to the Jackson County Trail Riders for the award they received as a service organization and for the excellent work the are accomplishing on their trail system! Report starts at about 6:30 in the video. https://fb.watch/4pQ9kZlKvC/
    Lutz, Ajacks, LumpyOne and 3 others like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Federal legislation was recently reintroduced that could double the funding for the Recreational Trails Program (RTP). Nationally, there is about $84M distributed to states from this fund each year. People believe that the actual number should be much more. The money comes from federal gas tax that is paid on fuel for ORVs used on trails. Instead of paying for highways, that portion of the funds can be used for trails. Historically, WI has been well served by this program. Only a portion can be spent on motorized trails as there are requirements to also support non-motorized trails. This is a 50% matching grant. In WI we also have a local grant program that pays up to 100% for OHM projects that relies on our sticker funds. More money going into RTP makes more money available for more projects which is good. I don't want to try to teach a class on grants here, but I did want to explain that RTP funding is being looked at again. I spoke to my congressman about this in the past. He suggested an audit of the Federal Highway Administrative to shed some light on the actual numbers. When the time comes for action, I'll post something here. Here is an article that will give some background information for now.
    https://www.americantrails.org/.../rtp-full-funding-act...
    Lutz, Ajacks, TheBigH and 6 others like this.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I sent out some e-mails to people that indicated they were interested in helping out with the repurposing DS/ADV rides at Sauk Prairie. As you recall, we went through a hard fought battle to get the privilege of having some dual sport and adventure motorcycle events at the property each year. I've done some work on this with the DNR, the OHM Council, and some on the scene scouting to get us started with an event this year. We just need to put together a club to support events at the property. I have the paperwork and more ready for that. This is a great opportunity to get involved generally and, for some that might be interested, to become leaders in our OHM community. It would be helpful to have some Sauk County residents on the roster. This is a great opportunity to provide some DS/ADV riding in an area where opportunities are otherwise limited. If you did not receive an e-mail from me about a Sauk Prairie club start up, and you are interested in doing something great for our riding community, please get in touch with me. We want to get things "rolling" for this summer.
    Lutz, InTheMuck, Mow-ree and 6 others like this.
  13. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I can also add that this is “snowcheck” season. Snowmobile manufacturers take orders for next model years sleds in the spring. Polaris is being inundated with orders. And this is after a really sucky year for snowmobiling. OHV recreation is on a tear...the more trails we get, the less crowded it will hopefully be.
    OU812 likes this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  15. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I confine myself to paved and gravel roads this time of year. Once things dry out, then it’s my off-road time.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Went to work on the new trail at Tigerton. First went to Janesville to pick up an order of marking paint for the village. Since it was warm and dry over the weekend I walked the new trail (and then some) painting confidence markers and arrows. That works pretty well on those BIG rocks where there isn't much else to mark.

The carsonite markers and decals aren't in yet so no work on installing the signs. I did line up a couple of gentlemen that are available to help with that during the week so we'll take care of that with those guys.

I also went over to the other trail and did some work there. Still a little more to be done but I didn't have the trail tools I needed to complete that so we'll catch it on the next trip.

Someone got arrested for being back on the trails on Friday (not open - not authorized). By the way, we tightened up the system with Tigerton. Anyone that is part of a work party can coordinate through me to get free admission or free camping for those workdays. We had some issues but now we'll have better control of that.

I'd like to get some help up at Tigerton on Saturday the 10th of April. We need to spend a few hours cleaning up the treadway. We also have some slash across the trail in one area that we'll have to saw through. With a half dozen people it seems like it would be about four hours work to cover the entire trail. Then we can breeze through the trail on bikes following the new markings. There is also a little work to be done on the other trail loop to get it ready to open. We also have to winch three big rocks out (potential case breakers)

So, if we can get a handful of people to help on Saturday, and we get can the signs installed during the week once they are available, we would very likely be able to open on May 1st. Message me or post here if you can help Saturday and I'll assemble a list to coordinate that. Start about 9AM to allow for travel time. Rain or shine.

[​IMG]
    Lutz, OU812, Mow-ree and 2 others like this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    We could use a couple more folks to help with TIgerton on Saturday at 0900. We'd really like to see this open in May 1st.
    Ajacks and OU812 like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Things are still on track for the Tigerton OHM trail to open May 1st. Still some work to do. Went up Friday to work with the park manager and then worked on the old trail until dark. Great turnout for the workday today. We had just what we needed for the job at hand. Huge thank you to Jeff Long, Dave Peters, Dan Robbins, Tim McClutchy, Mark Mayo, Shawn Angle, and Phil Smage. Great weather too as we avoided any rain and had cool temps to work in. The park manager (Megan) stopped by to see if we needed anything and check out our progress. She is pretty excited about this trail project too. People worked hard for much of the day. When we quit in the afternoon for lunch, no one felt much like going out for a ride (too tired). Instead we had a nice time talking motorcycles at the shelter to wind up the day. One common theme is that there are a lot of challenges on this trail that will improve the skills of anyone who rides it. We did some treadway work, trimming, and even wrestled and winched some big rocks out of the way. The old trail is refreshed and ready to go. The new trail still needs the Carsonite markers. A great day with a lot getting done. Thanks again to all who helped!

[​IMG]
    Lutz, Mark4931, OU812 and 4 others like this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I put together a meeting today to get the Trials practice and event area project going again at Dyracuse. Met with the Town and Phil Smage to walk the area and discuss the project. When I originally went after this project, the idea was to create a Trials practice area on public land which we did not have yet in Wisconsin. One part of the Dyracuse project, additional single track, has been completed by the local club (Rapid Angels) and there is an opportunity to add more single track to that in the near future.

Since then I was able to get the single track project through at Tigerton which includes plenty of public Trials practice and event opportunities on that property. Tigerton will be open on May 1st with the extensive Trials opportunities available along with 10 miles of uniquely challenging OHM single track and many more miles of rugged ATV trails to ride.

We had a delay in executing the projects at Dyracuse, for a number of reasons, but now it is time to get the Trials portion done. We need to put together a work group of Trials riders to help prepare the site for practice and events. I will be in touch with WOTA on this, but any Trials riders that are interested in helping to get this project completed please contact me and I'll help get something organized with the Town and WOTA to make this happen. Between the work the Town will do and the work our Trials riders can do we should have this up and running in no time. The area is rich with natural Trials features but we also have the opportunity to construct some obstacles with rocks, logs, culverts, and the like. This is one of the reasons we need to get Trials riders involved in this project now. The Town suggested an open (free) riding day to celebrate the opening of the facility once we have it in shape.

This project is being paid for by OHM sticker funds. Trials riders need to have an OHM sticker to ride public trails in Wisconsin. Nice to see that their interests are being represented with some of that money.

Let's get the word out and get this done! What a great opportunity!
    Lutz, pigjockey, Mark4931 and 9 others like this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Just got word that the trail markers for Tigerton will finally be arriving today. I'll be at Tigerton working to get these installed Thursday-Sunday. It would be great to get one or two people to help install these on each of those days. Having an ATV to help haul stuff would be helpful but not required. I've had to put planning for this on hold until the supplies came in. The goal is to get the markers installed so that the OHM trail can open for everyone on May 1st.
    Bultaco206 likes this.