Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    For those that ride in the Upper Peninsula, here is an update on some initiatives in the works there right now. They are working a new OHM trail project near the Norway ORV trail. Although it is still pending some approvals, it looks like it could be up to 30 miles of challenging single track with a few necessary road connectors built in. There are a lot of rock features that will likely be part of the trail making it a more unique experience than what some are accustomed to. There has also been a lot of progress made on a single track connector between Porterfield and Bass Lake. No definite timelines but it is likely that at least some of this will open up this season. Great news for everyone! Great initiatives by the Sandstormers and the MI DNR! Always great to see more opportunities come into being.
    Lutz, OU812, BLucare and 2 others like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a few days at Tigerton installing trail signage. The trail is ready to ride when the park opens on May 1st. Lots of fun and lots of challenges on this trail. Huge thanks to Jake Cook, Jeff Long, Jake Poth, and Dan Robbins who each came to the park to work with me for a day. We cranked out a lot of work.
    20210424_150538.jpg
    9Realms, Lutz, cra_fizzer and 7 others like this.
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The new 8 mile OHM trail opens at Tigerton OHM Park & Campground this Saturday, May 1st. The hours for the 8 mile trail are daily 8AM to dusk. The existing two mile trail is open but with more limited hours on Friday through Sunday. It might be good to take a warm up ride on the two mile before launching on the new 8 mile trail. The 8 mile trail has a lot of challenging features that are intended for more advanced riders. Those that prefer a less challenging experience might prefer the rugged ATV trails in the park or the two mile OHM trail. That said, if there is a feature that you believe is beyond your skills or comfort zone, you will be able to find a way around the feature to pick up the trail again on the other side. The park affords the opportunity for families to ride in mixed groups of ATV/UTV/OHMs on the ATV trails. The park has very well developed facilities and camping. I (Bryan Much) will be at the park on opening weekend to answer any questions, offer courtesy sound testing to anyone that wants it (OHM/ATV/UTV), and help riders get started with this new trail. I have some temporary maps up on the trail. Once the park is remapped, we'll get some more permanent signs posted around the trail system. The start of the OHM trail is just beyond the bridge that enters the main trail area. So glad to see another opportunity for OHM riders come into being in Wisconsin.

[​IMG]
    cjracer, Ajacks, Lutz and 8 others like this.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 26, 2021
    [email protected]
    Send inquiries to: Linda Oliver, DNR Policy Advisor
    [email protected] or 608-400-9384

Off-Highway Motorcycle Trail Passes Now Available For Non-Residents

Off-highway motorcyle (OHM) trail passes are now available for non-residents to purchase.

MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) reminds the public that off-highway motorcycle trail passes are now available for non-residents to purchase.
    Until now, non-residents needed to register their off-highway motorcycle (OHM) in Wisconsin to operate on trails or other publicly established corridors.

Non-residents who own off-highway motorcycles and looking to ride in the Badger State may display either a Wisconsin public use registration ($30 first-time registration; $30 2-year renewal) or a non-resident trail pass $35) to operate on OHM trails or established corridors open to the public.

Non-residents can purchase their pass online through Go Wild, the DNR’s online license and registration portal, where information on the new trail pass is available, including an operation tutorial.
    The OHM program became effective in October 2016 and is modeled after the ATV/UTV program. Before making the trail pass available to non-residents, the DNR was required to put into effect administrative rules which were completed last year and include a delayed effective date of April 1, 2021.

Similar to the non-resident ATV/UTV trail pass, annual and five-day trail pass options are available ($20) for off-highway motorcycles. The annual passes expire on March 31. At the point of sale, a temporary trail use receipt (TTUR) will be issued. Trail passes will be mailed for those purchasing out of state.

A non-resident trail pass must be attached by its own adhesive in a visible location on the motorcycle's exterior. Trail passes are not required for operating an OHM on frozen waters.
    The DNR provides registration services for off-highway motorcycles. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation issues titles and/or registration (license plates) for highway use of motorcycles.
    For more information about off-highway motorcycle riding and registration in Wisconsin, click here.
    OU812, Lutz, Mow-ree and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Miles of smiles at the Tigerton OHM trail opener this weekend! We opened the new 8 mile single track trail for public use. This trail is a unique opportunity for Wisconsin as we were able to use a lot of natural features to make the trail technical, challenging, and a whole lot of fun! I've said many times before, this trail is not for everybody. There are a lot of challenging features and often some heavy effort to ride them. Since this is a new trail, the treadwya is not mature yet. I was surprised to see how well some of the dim sections came in with just the riding this weekend. By Sunday, speeds were picking up as the lines became clearer. Once the trail is mature there will be a nice mix of tight and technical and some opportunities to stretch your legs a bit. The folks that were riding this weekend must have been looking for this kind of trail because I heard a LOT of comments that this is something that we needed in Wisconsin. I so glad to see this trail opportunity for riders to come into being. As a side note, the park reported that by far the greatest source of revenue this weekend were motorcycle riders which is good for our interests. I'll post a few pix here and then link to a gallery with some more pix from the weekend. Oh, and the 2 mile trail is now mature and is in great shape for riders!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cjracer, reveille, Fallacy and 13 others like this.
  6. Blade_004

Blade_004 BK

Oddometer:
    Thank you Cannonshot! I got up to ride the new trail on Sat, and had a ton of fun. Looked for you, but you must have been out riding. Great asset to the state! Glad my radiator fan was working...was running full time when crawling over the rocks!
    BLucare, TheBigH, OU812 and 3 others like this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Got a good start on the club for events at Sauk Prairie. Working with some folks to get the paperwork done to formally organize the club so they can host events.

Last week I visited the park in Kewaunee County to do a more technical evaluation to see if there was potential for a single track OHM trail project there. After a close look, there isn't much potential to add an OHM trail there. Some terrain that would have been of interest to us is already being used for a mountain bike trail. Nice to see that the bicyclists were able to develop a trail there as it looks like it has some nice features. That said, there is some interesting riding for OHM at the park on existing ATV/UTV trails. The club there will likely host an informal OHM riding event at the park sometime soon to introduce more riders to the opportunities there. Look for an announcement for that later this season. I'll share information here. It would be a lot of fun to get a bunch of riders together there with a cook-out or something along that line. I think we could add some photo ops to a get-together like that as well. Kewaunee Riverview ATV Park - Kewaunee ATV & Cycle Park (kewauneeatvpark.com)
    Bultaco206 and OU812 like this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    On June 5th and 6th, 2021, OHM riders are allowed to operate their motorcycles on public trails (where OHMs are allowed), without the OHM sticker that is otherwise required to operate on any public trail in WI. This is a free weekend to get people to try out riding in WI. It applies to out of staters as well.

s. 23.335(2)(c) Weekend exemption. A person may operate an off-highway motorcycle off the highways in this state during the first full weekend in June of each year without registering the off-highway motorcycle as required under par. (a).

Free Registration Weekend. All ATVs, UTVs and OHMs are exempt from registration and trail pass requirements during the first full weekend in June. All other laws apply.
    SpiderDan, OU812, Ajacks and 4 others like this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Did some coordination with the park at Tigerton as I have a meeting tomorrow to deal with the OHM route outside the park. OHM continues to significantly lead ATV/UTV and 4WD for use of the trails at the park. The trail is burning in nicely. The park is getting a lot of enthusiastic positive feedback about the OHM trail. This has proven to be a great partnership between the OHM community, other trail groups, and the park. There are some Trials riders at the park today so it is nice to see people taking advantage of this unique opportunity for a public Trials riding area for Wisconsin. I plan to go back over the trail soon to look things over and tidy up anything that needs attention or adustment. Part of that will involve another worker and I prying and winching out a handful of pesky rocks from the treadway. The park has turned into a much more complete motorized recreation area where riders of mixed groups of off-road vehicles can all enjoy the trail system together. The excellent camping and support facilities at or adjacent to the site contribute to a great experience as well. This is a good model for what motorized trail users would like to see in the very underserved southern part of the state.
    OU812, pigjockey, Klasjm and 4 others like this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The DNR has one of those trailer mounted programmable highway warning signs and will likely be getting a few more. The idea is to present safety messages at various events and activities around the state. I have been contacting event clubs to coordinate getting the sign placed at their events. Basically, someone from the DNR would call the point of contact prior to the event to coordinate placement and safety messages. The DNR would drop the sign off and later pick it up after the event at no cost. Messages can be customized so the clubs/parks can work with the DNR to get the messages that are best for their situation. I'm sending the list to the DNR today. Not only does it include formal events like event clubs put on, but it also includes some significant informal get-togethers and some of the parks where the sign might be appropriate for a weekend. The sign may not be available for every event that was forecast, but this early coordination might help with that. This is a good opportunity to demonstrate that we are part of the safety program and to send some upbeat safety messages to riders. People I have talked to so far thought it was a great opportunity.
    [​IMG]
    9Realms, Lutz, OU812 and 1 other person like this.
  11. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Another meeting at Dyracuse today to follow up on some initiatives there. Regarding the Trials practice/event area that we are putting together, I met with Matt Kuennen and a town official at the site. Matt stepped forward to help get this thing up and running. It won't take a lot of work but Matt is going to need some people to help out. We've also got the park personnel to assist with some of the machine work that needs to be done. Matt was impressed with the number of excellent natural features already in place there. Having public practice areas for Trials riding is an important development. Many dedicated riders have their own private areas, but the idea here is to provide a high quality public area that will allow more people to become involved in Trials riding. Many off-highway motorcyclists that do not necessarily compete in Trials events have Trials bikes and like to ride/train on Trials obstacles as it improves their overall riding skills. Completing this project in addition to the Trials opportunities at Tigerton will give us two high quality Trials practice and potential event areas.

Sunday, June 6th, is part of the free riding weekend for public trails in Wisconsin. Normally an OHM sticker would be required to ride at Dyracuse (in addition to their daily fee). Those that want to give this new area a try on their unregistered Trials bikes are invited to an informal get-together on that date. Park admission fees still apply but no OHM sticker is required. This might be a good time for riders to take their OHM to Dyracuse for some trail riding AND to take a long a Trials bike to try out this new area. Matt will be on site to work with people to get their ideas about more development for the site. There is a Trials event in Door County on that date, but this is a great alternate opportunity for those not competing there. There will be more information about this posted to the Dyracuse web page, the WOTA page, and the WOHMA page.

With a few more people helping out, we should be able to get this thing up and running by mid-summer. The work involves some brushing and clearing around obstacles and Matt working with the park to place some additional obstacles based on the materials that are available there. Those that help out on work days are asked to bring loppers, hand saws, and maybe a chain saw or two.

Matt is available on most Sundays and Mondays so those that can help out should contact him to coordinate that. Once oriented to the site and the work to be done, people could help out on their own most anytime by coordinating with Matt and the park.

Got a Trials bike? Let's go to work and get this opportunity developed! Message Matt Kuennen or contact me and I'll help you get connected.
    Lutz, North60, pigjockey and 2 others like this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    9Realms, Lutz, TimCC and 3 others like this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    We've got a new event club on the scene for dual sport and adventure riders here in Wisconsin. The Driftless Dual Sport Riders are wrapping up the paperwork to formalize their organization right now. We are about to shift from forming the club to organizing their first event for later this year. There is a lot of enthusiasm in the group and I see the potential for some more informed advocates coming out of this, as has happened before, which will be good for our program overall. I really admire the people that are taking this on. It isn't so easy to do. Eventually they'll get up on social media under their club name. More opportunities for people to ride are on the way!

[​IMG]
    cjracer, Lutz, TimCC and 10 others like this.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Great meeting with the Driftless Dual Sport Riders today. Spent some time sharing information to help them get started on some things. What a great group of folks! Lots of enthusiasm. Looking forward to having some fun at the events they put together. It wouldn't surprise me to see some talented advocates for our program develop from this group over time. Looking forward to their first event later this season! More to come from DDSR as they get their social media set up, an event date worked out, and some other things in place. I'm pretty proud of this group for doing what they are doing.
    [​IMG]
    cjracer, BLucare, Ajacks and 9 others like this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    State Trails Council meeting today. We spent some time this afternoon touring the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area property to get an orientation on what the situation is there and what some future plans might be. There is a lot of development to be done. As we toured the terrain I was reminded about how much fun a dual sport event there will be. There is no park admission fee in place at this time. If you are in the area, you might want to tour the grounds on the roads that are open to the public. Trails are not open to OHM except under the terms of a permit for an event. I've ridden a mountain bike there on the interim trail system that is in place for now and had a good time. Keep in mind that dual sport riders have the opportunity to use trails on the property as part of organized events there.
    Lutz, OU812, Bultaco206 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Meeting this morning with a county board committee regarding the OHM route I have been after for Tigerton. Finally overcame some resistance and narrowly got an ordinance advanced for consideration by the full county board. I'll probably be asking for some help when it comes up on the agenda.

Thanks Jake Poth for getting the "you are here" dots restored to the temporary trail signs at Tigerton (the indelible marker previously used turned out to not be so indelible). We are going to do more with new mapping and signs for the entire park. Thanks to Nick Ray for going over to TIgerton to do some trail work Sunday. Both efforts are much appreciated.

I spent much of the day at TIgerton today cutting downed trees on the trail from the recent storm, making some adjustments, and tidying things up for riders. There were a lot of trees down and some have probably already discovered that a few of those were huge. I managed to cut through a big one with my 14' chain saw (lots of fancy cuts) but I broke my winch cable trying to get the log off the trail. There is still one big on suspended with enough height to get under but I didn't try to take it down as it exceeded my risk management profile for being alone and cutting trees. I think the village will have to bring in a piece of their heavy equpment for this one.

It was hot today and there was a haze of wildfire smoke in the air but it was still a great day working on the trail. Usually I spend my time with meetings, councils, e-mails, papers, grants, phone calls and a lot of other necessary stuff that seems to never end. Getting out and working on a trail is very satisfying as you can see a physical product as you complete your work. I'm sure that everyone that works on a trail or other physical project has experience this satisfaction. Very rewarding.

The trail came in nicely and looked pretty grippy. There is always more to be done and I've been looking things over to find ways to improve things.

I heard a lot of compliments about the trail from the village. This continues to be a great partnership with them. We still have more participants at the park than the other users. The village has also been getting a lot of compliments and enthusiastic feedback from riders visiting the park.

I've said before that this trail is not for everyone. It can be quite a workout and has some challenging features. But, people can ride it at the pace that best suits them and can easily find a way around an obstacle that seems like too much of a challenge. Novice riders, or those that want to ease up a bit, will find satisfcation on the ATV/UTV/4WD trails in the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mikeeep, Mow-ree, Bultaco206 and 4 others like this.
  18. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all your efforts Bryan!
    Cannonshot, Mow-ree and pigjockey like this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Andrew Gore's video. Obviously a fit and talented rider. Like usual, steepness on some of it doesn't show. :D
    Lutz, Wick, OU812 and 1 other person like this.
  20. wisbadger

wisbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, couple questions ...
    -With all the rain we've been getting lately, how do the trails (like Tigerton or Tamaracks) hold up? Just getting started in dual-sport but in the mountain biking world we try to avoid rutting up the trails too much during wet conditions. Is this an issue on our trails or not so much?

- Where have you all been putting your WI OHM stickers? Fork tubes, windshield, fender, side panels??? Trying to pick a space which is both 'DNR visible' and easily removed for renewal stickers later.

Thanks! :)