Wisconsin Rustic Roads Motorcycle Patch - (Qualifying Routes)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, May 9, 2007.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    As many of you know, the State of Wisconsin offers motorcyclists a special patch for completing rides on 10 designated Rustic Roads. Riders that complete rides on 25 designated Rustic Roads receive a special certificate.
    [​IMG]

Basically, what is required is that you take a photograph of your motorcycle in front of the Rustic Road sign that bears the route number (i.e. R91). When you get 10 roads documented, send in the proof and get the patch.
    Information is available at:
    http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/motorcycle/rusticroads.htm

Where are all these designated Rustic Roads you ask? You can find them in a pamphlet available at tourist information centers or you can check the web:
    http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/scenic/maps.htm

Since it is difficult to plan a route that includes 10 of these roads, I have prepared six GPS tracks to assist riders in making a qualifying ride. Follow one of the tracks, document the roads, and you will qualify for a 10 road patch.

I prepared tracks for different areas of the state to accommodate riders from the different regions. Tracks will serve riders from the following locations:
    Milwaukee/SE WI
    Northern Illinois/SE WI
    Madison/south central WI
    NE Iowa, SE Minnesota, and SW WI
    Minneapolis and west central WI
    Green Bay, the Fox Valley, and central WI

Interactive maps that allow you to explore the routes and .gpx files for download are available in the subject thread in GPS Central.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228886

Some riders may not be too interested in being awarded the patch. Even so, the GPS tracks may serve as a nice route to ride that involves not only the designated Rustic Roads, but often some other entertainment as well.

Hope some folks have fun with this (and score the patch as well)!
  2. blazer

blazer Vote Blazer for President

Oddometer:
    That is a really nice thing you did! Thanks a lot!

B-
  3. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    The WI DOT is got its head so far up its own collective ass....sigh....sorry.

The rustic roads rawk and if you're going to the BMW MOA Int'l Rally, even you FF's from out of state can get a fancy patch too.....if the WI DOT feels like giving you one, that is.
  4. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a patch around here, somewhere.. :scratch I found out about the Rustic Road Tour back in the mid 80's, and actually did it on my old 82' Yamaha 550 Vision. Back then, you had to take pictures with a FILM camera.:lol3

I'm glad to see it's still getting some interest, and it's a cool thing. As luck would have it, I drink a lot of beer on the one just nothwest of Brodhead, WI. My buddy built a house just off of that road a few years ago. I also passed 4-5 of them last weekend, between riding up to Mogwai's and back home (with detours)..

If nothing else, it's a great reason to get out riding on the back roads of Wisconsin.
  5. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    :huh oh the horror!....LOL
  6. tengai

tengai *

Oddometer:
    Just nine more to go. I didn't know about this when I took this picture.

[​IMG]

It was nice meeting you last weekend Cannonshot, but I have to admit - I was a little worried when you piled us all in your van. I had no idea where you were taking us. :lol3
  7. Jeepboy

Jeepboy Roost

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot. Since moving to WI I was thinking it would be fun to ride as many senic roads as I could. I didn't realize I could get a patch. That adds some fun to it.

I think this is R86, but I am in front of the wrong sign....guess its a good reason to ride there again.
    [​IMG]
  8. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thanks.

Also, good to meet you Blazer at the slimey crud.:clap

Next time just give the salute to everyone so we can Identify ADV riders.
  9. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    If I only would have taken pictures of the signs!!! I've been on many rustic roads but never documented it. This is pretty cool, I think I'll have to do this!

Some of the roads they have listed sound pretty interesting, thanks for giving us the heads up Bryan.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    So true for so many . . .

How many people made it a point to ride the rustic roads they passed throughout the state over the years . . .

Plenty of reward in just enjoying riding the roads (which is the whole point) but most everyone I know would have qualified for these incentives by now.
  11. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    yep...
  12. atomic frog

atomic frog pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer:
    I started the Rustic roads tour a couple of years ago and to date I have been on 34 of the roads, most are very scenic, I usually make a week long excursion out of a section of the state to do the roads, last year was Door Co./ Eastern area this year will be West and North central. I plan on doing the loop in mid June. I try to camp as much as possible. The bike that has been used for all of the roads to date is my XR650L.

Anyone interested in doing that part of the state??

I ride a leasurely pace and make frequent stopsm, so I am not a road burner by any means.
  13. Meles meles

Meles meles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job:clap

I rode a bunch of Rustic Roads over summer 2005, when I had the F650GS Dakar. Very pleasant riding. The first 10 photos earned me the patch and then I sent in 30 photos and received the certificate, plus another patch. There are some around Burlington & Lake Geneva that I ride fairly regularly when I feel like a short Sunday ride.

[​IMG]

WI R50 was one of my favorites: gravel, sand, rain, mosquitos, and an abandoned bus in the woods.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Phil
  14. Meles meles

Meles meles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found one of my gps files too, if anyone's interested. About 62 of them, saved as routes.
    Cheers
    Phil
  15. Jack_

Jack_ Addict

Oddometer:
    Very cool.

I need to get out and do something this Sunday. This might be the ticket!

I'll have to check the files tonight. Thanks a lot Bryan!
  16. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Well, Darn it... I played hooky yesterday afternoon to go for a ride and took some of those... I guess I'll have to go back and take better pics!

The one through point beach-
    [​IMG]

and St Augustine (patron saint of good motorcycling roads) in washington county
    [​IMG]

You can Kinda see a rustic sign in that one...
  17. BENRON

Oddometer:
    I was out tonight to start getting my ten roads, and found these guys in the midst of a photoshoot on rustic route 52. Too Cool:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. BENRON

Oddometer:
    Rustic indeed. After a bit of googling-
    [​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marchese, Carl:[/FONT]
    Carl Marchese dominated auto racing in Wisconsin as a driver, but had a lasting impact on the sport as a car owner and race official. Marchese won numerous state races and finished fourth in the 1929 Indianapolis 500. That would be Marchese's only Indy 500.

As a midget car owner and designer, Marchese was credited with many innovations, including the tube frame and and supercharged engine. Marchese also was the first president of the Wisconsin Racing Association.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I was on 52 late this afternoon . . . a little cool with the wind coming off Lake Michigan. (Also 65, 63, and 82.)

Saw one of those "CannonCards" on the west end of Paradise Road. . .
  20. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always fun when you stumble on something special like that!

I've attached another gpx with all(?) of the Rustic Roads.

Attached Files: