Wisconsin - Starting an OHM State association workshop

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Husabergchamp, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Husabergchamp

Husabergchamp MSF Dirt Bike Coach

Oddometer:
    Please read through all the way to the end, registration is now open.
    <o:p></o:p>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOHMA (Wisconsin Off Highway Motorcycle Association), in partnership with NOHVCC (National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council) would like to invite you to be part of the process of formally establishing the new OHM state association.<o:p></o:p>
    The WOHMA Board of Directors and I have been working diligently these past two years to establish an OHM focused association that is fighting to address issues of importance to the off road and dual sport enthusiasts in Wisconsin. We determined that the best way to establish our credentials was to work on the riders behalf before asking you to join in the effort. To that effect we would like to list some of the actions and issues we have addressed the past two years. In most all cases these were in partnership with many of the various OHM clubs in the state, who have done an exemplary job themselves.<o:p></o:p>
    • Provided property line noise surveys in support of the Manitowoc OHV club dispute with the Town of Rhine . The result was a decision by the Wisconsin State Supreme Court establishing precedence that cities and town could not arbitrarily deny conditional use permits without having documented statutes with specific and reasonable requirements a property owner could address. The club was able to keep their private riding area open. Thank You Harley-Davidson Motor Company for loaning us the needed acoustic analysis equipment. <o:p></o:p>
    • Provide the same assistance to the Racine Ski/OHM/ATV club. This resulted in a reasonable set of criteria in a conditional use permit the club will be able to meet and their riding area will reopen in spring 2009. <o:p></o:p>
    • Partnered with WOHVA on supporting AB600, requesting 2 new seats on the State Trails Council to represent OHM and 4X4 interests. On hold last year, it will be reintroduced in 2009. <o:p></o:p>
    • Serving on the State Trails Council ad hoc committee to come up with recommendations to reorganize the STC to better represent OHV needs. This is ongoing. <o:p></o:p>
    • Meet with the Jackson County Legislative Council in partnership with the Jackson County Trail Riders, Midwest Off Road Trail Riders, WOHVA, and WATVA to keep the dirt bikes from being completely excluded from the ATV trail system. The decision retained full access for dual-sport bikes and more new single track for the non-street legal dirt bikes. <o:p></o:p>
    • Met with the DNR along with WOHVA, WATVA, WOTA, and the W4WDA to establish what we all want and need in the proposed Motorized Recreational Areas (OHV Parks). We are dedicated to keeping the pressure on the DNR to keep progressing on establishing these parks. Plans include a major OHV in each quadrant of the state, we requested 9000 acre minimum for these. Smaller (600 to 1000 acre) OHV parks would be possible in additional areas of the state but not be substitutes for the larger parks. <o:p></o:p>
    • Worked with the DNR to come up with reasonable vehicle requirements for dirt bikes used on DNR property. Derailed more restrictive requirements that were being proposed. <o:p></o:p>
    • Met with the USFS regarding the new TMR (Travel Management Rule). This is on-going; the USFS has not met our requests for more trails or to retain many existing recreational trails. WOHMA has joined in with various other OHV and hunter/fishing groups in a legal challenge to the TMR being implemented as currently written; we have requested changes more in our favor and in support of increased OHV opportunities. <o:p></o:p>
    • Partnered with WOHVA to build the first OHV trail system in Wisconsin on Indian Reservation Land . In partnership with the Chippewa and Potawatomi Tribes and under the guidance of WOHVA we have established OHM, 4X4, and ATV trails on the Mole Lake Indian Reservation and held both the Great Northern Trail ride for all types OHV and the more specific National Jeep Jamboree on the new trails. These trails will be available for future events for the dirt bike clubs through WOHVA as the tribe&#8217;s representative. <o:p></o:p>
    • Attempting to get a seat on the Wisconsin State ORV Council, the group that helps selects the OHV projects that actually get funded. <o:p></o:p>
    • Many other issues were also addressed. <o:p></o:p>
    The Saturday Dec 6<sup>th</sup> NOHVCC &#8220;Starting a State Association Workshop&#8221; will be at the Spring Brook Resort in Wisconsin Dells, Northwoods Retreat Room.<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.springbrookwisconsindells.com/<o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]Lodging is available at a discounted rate for those needing it. NOHVCC has contacted the[/FONT] Americ Inn &#8211; Wisconsin Dells <o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]550 State Hwy[/FONT] 13, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
    Front Desk: 608-254-1700<o:p></o:p>

[FONT=&quot]You will need to mention that you are with a group from Spring Brook to get the $79.95 rate. [/FONT]<o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]Directions to the hotel can be found at[/FONT] www.americinn.com <o:p></o:p>
    NOHVCC will be sending out formal invitations to this distribution list with the details. It will be an all day meeting. We are working on many of the discussion areas before hand so we do not have to spend valuable time on the more fundamental areas and can address in detail the more important issues. <o:p></o:p>
    We will have proposed mission and vision statements ready before hand. The incorporation as a 501C3 is currently being addressed. We want to spend more of the day&#8217;s time on what the association goals should be, coming up with a list of action items, forming teams, discuss 3 year and 5 year plans, funding, partnerships with the other state OHV associations, and many more issues of mutual concern. <o:p></o:p>
    Please keep Saturday Dec 6<sup>th</sup> next month open on your calendar and join us in moving WOHMA forward. We would like to have every OHM related club have a representative at the meeting. All of the District 16 officials have been invited. WOHVA and WATVA will have representatives attending to show their support. OHV related businesses, dealerships, and all interested riders regardless of affiliation are also invited to take part.<o:p></o:p>
    NOHVCC needs to have a count on how many would be coming. Please respond to Jack Terrell and Karen Umphress from NOHVCC and let them know as soon as possible if you can attend. They will also be sending out an official invite but would like to get a quick count so we can get a room large enough to accommodate the attendees<o:p></o:p>
    Remember, &#8220;The world is run by those who show up&#8221;! Be a part of the OHM/OHV solution and become involved.<o:p></o:p>
    I have blind copied the distribution list for your privacy, but you will be able to see both e-mails for Jack Terrell and Karen Umphress from NOHVCC in order to contact them if you are going to attend.<o:p></o:p>
    Best regards,<o:p></o:p>
    Alex Bub<o:p></o:p>
    WOHMA President<o:p></o:p>
    WOHVA Education Chairman<o:p></o:p>
    NOHVCC WI State Representative<o:p></o:p>
    WATVA and AMA member<o:p></o:p>
    920-994-2600 home<o:p></o:p>
    414-465-6153 work
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The registration for the WOHMA organizational workshop is now open.<o:p></o:p>
    NOHVCC really needs your registration to plan for food, the size of the room at the resort, and to have enough workshop books on hand. Please send in your registration so we can plan properly.<o:p></o:p>
    We will not turn you away if you decide to come at the last minute, but knowing you are coming ahead of time would sure help the event planning a lot (and assure you get a lunch and refreshments and not have to brown bag). Advanced registration also gets you a folder with workshop information you will need during the day, otherwise you will need to look over someone else&#8217;s shoulder which would be inconvenient. <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for responding, we need your input and involvement as we go forward with the state OHM association.<o:p></o:p>
    Please pass this message to your club members!<o:p></o:p>
    Alex Bub<o:p></o:p>
    WOHMA President<o:p></o:p>
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Alex Bub <o:p></o:p>
    November 14, 2008 Phone: 414-465-6153 <o:p></o:p>
    Email: Alex.Bub@harley-davidson.com <o:p></o:p>
    Wisconsin OHM ASSOCIATION <o:p></o:p>
    Organization Meeting <o:p></o:p>
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 <o:p></o:p>
    7:30 AM &#8211; 5:00 PM <o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]Spring Brook Golf Resort [/FONT]<o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]Northwoods Retreat Room in the Club House Complex [/FONT]<o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]242 Lake Shore Dr. [/FONT]<o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965 Toll-Free: 800-228-4349 or 608-254-1460 [/FONT]<o:p></o:p>
    ONLINE REGISTRATION IS OPEN NOW! <o:p></o:p>
    https://conference.nohvcc.org/EXEC/0/13vjolx14x8b4y1efncvp0mxzytl<o:p></o:p>
    OR<o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]https://conference.nohvcc.org/?EVENT&EVENTCODE=010193-52&PASSWORD=nohvcc&template=adwWIi[/FONT]<o:p></o:p>
    The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) will conduct an Organization Meeting for the Wisconsin Off-Highway Motorcycle Association (WOHMA) on Saturday, December 6, in Wisconsin Dells, WI <o:p></o:p>
    The purpose of the meeting is to bring together the leadership of Wisconsin &#8217;s Off-Highway Motorcycle community to: <o:p></o:p>
    &#8226; Organize a statewide Off-Highway Motorcycle association; <o:p></o:p>
    &#8226; Approve bylaws and elect officers; <o:p></o:p>
    &#8226; Establish a structure and process that will improve communication and cooperation between motorized recreation clubs and enthusiasts; and <o:p></o:p>
    &#8226; Improve the ability of the Wisconsin Off-Highway Motorcycle community to participate in and effectively influence political and regulatory processes. <o:p></o:p>
    A registration fee of $15.00 will be charged to cover materials, lunches and beverage service. Please register on-line using the link provided above. Advance registration is required. Registration closes November 28th. <o:p></o:p>
    NOHVCC is a non-profit educational foundation. For information regarding NOHVCC and its programs visit its website at www.nohvcc.org. <o:p></o:p>
    For assistance with registration contact Ann Vance at 888-458-0131 or avance@nohvcc.org. For workshop information contact Alex Bub at 414-465-6153 or Alex.Bub@harley-davidson.com. <o:p></o:p>
    Register now and plan to be in Wisconsin Dells on December 6th<o:p></o:p>

2. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I'm registered and will be there!
  3. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    In.. Registered last week!
  4. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to do my best to keep this at the top of the list on this website all week! This is important and anyone that rides off road or dual sport NEEDS to be INVOLVED and if you ride road only you should be concerned and watching things as well. If we had done this 20 years ago and gotten organized we could be where the snowmobile and ATV clubs are now with trails and places to ride, if we had done it 30 years ago we could be like Michigan for riding opertunities. If we collective do nothing for another 5 years you can plan on trailering your bike and gear out of state to ride, unless you have property or friends that have land to let you ride. We all need to be involved and do a little so its not the same 5% that carry the load. If you cant make this meeting find out who is there and what you can do to be apart of things. THAT OR DONT COMPLAIN WHEN THERE IS NO PLACE TO RIDE!

someone hold my hand so I don't slip as i'm getting off the soap box now. little john
  5. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    You didn't have to yell!

John brings up a good point though. That is the reason why I have been getting more involved. I have 3 children that like to ride, and riding areas for them are few and very far between. I'm not talking MX stuff here, but nice single track. Take a trip to MI and see what a state sponsored trail system can be. That's something I'd like to see in WI. Not only for me, but for my children as well.
  6. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Lobster I do need to YELL! everyone knows when no-one is paying attention to you if you yell scraem and stomp your feet on the floor , people take notice. Oh wait , that only works if you are under 6 or a movie star on the way to rehab... same differance i guess:lol3 .

I know the warm weather is gone and very few of us are thinking about riding for a while ( except you porkiepine tire guys), but we need to have a good group of concurned riders there on saturday. EVERY CLUB FROM THE STATE SHOULD BE REPERSENTED AND IF YOU DON'T BELONG TO A CLUB COME AND BE PART AS WELL!
  7. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Registered. Cya there.

7:30 in the morning??:huh
  8. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    BUMP!!! just doing what I said I would.
  9. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thump bump, only one more day to beat folks over the head about this.:lol3
  10. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Beat ya to the bump!

I'm leaving FDL around 5:30, so if anyone from the area wants to hitch a ride, shoot me a PM.
  11. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    One last BUMP.. See you boyz there.
  12. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    Any reports on what was covered? Progress report? Any delegated officials?
  13. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I was waiting for the "official" email from NOHVCC to post names of officials and such.

In a nutshell, we had presentations from NOHVCC, the WI DNR, WOHVA, WATVA, and a couple others that referenced thier background and challenges they faced. We then discussed and finalized a vision statement, a mission statement, and bylaws. Officer electons followed that. Once officers were elected we worked on a 3 year and 5 year plan as well as formed commitees to help focus efforts to accomplish the golas and plans.

The goal of the meeting was to start an organization that will represent off-road motorcycle riders in the state of Wisconsin and to open up riding oppertunities for those and future riders.
  14. Husabergchamp

Oddometer:
    No e-mail yet from Karen at NOHVCC, but I did expect it to take a day or so before she summarizes everything and we can get the info out.

I talked with Ruth (Jim Maze's wife) and she has most of the forms ready to fill out for the 501C(3) non-profit filing. I also e-mailed her the NOHVCC club startup kit pdf file because it also covers what has to be done to incorporate as a non-profit. Since we are doing all this without using a lawyer we want to make sure all the i's are dotted and all t's crossed.

Election results from the meeting:the WOHMA BOD
    President - Alex Bub
    Vice President - Jim Maze
    Secretary - Lance David
    Treasurer - John Newton
    Member at large - Becky Hayes
    Member at large - Brett Lobajeski
    Member at large - Ken Schuck
    Member at large - Mike Schwarzenbacher
    Member at large - Mark Wefler

Duties of the members at large to be defined by the board. We tried to have the board members come from a wide span of the state geographically, you could look on them as almost regional coordinators.

All of the board members have a lot of OHM riding experience and organizational experience, including being club and association officers either presently or in the past.

More info once we get the meeting summary from NOHVCC

This should be fun!

Alex Bub
  15. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty new to this dirt/ice/etc stuff...
    Spent most of my miles on pavement:D
    I assume hard core off-road in my Landcruiser doesn't count!

So, is there a membership thing happening yet?

Fees that can be paid and put some $$$ in the kitty to help get this going.
  16. Husabergchamp

Oddometer:
    We will shortly have a membership form that will be sent out to the clubs and posted on various sites. The board has to approve it and the final fee structure before we send it out.
  17. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Many thanks go out to you all who have stepped up to be an informed advocate to positively shape the future of OHM riding in WI!! :pynd
  18. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    Wish Missouri would do something like this.
  19. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:

all it takes is a group with some vision and time to put forth there Cman!
    I'm sure we can put you in touch with the nice folks from NOVOCC that helped with some of our organixing. Just think you could be the founding president of the Missouri off road organization.:clap

Take the bull by the horns cause if you wait for someone else to do it , you'll probably get trampled first!
  20. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Ok Coogan, time to get your MO guys together! I plan to and do back ever state that organizes.