Wither Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Outwardbound, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    KHI sold THOUSANDS of KLR650's over the years, and obviously made mucho dinero doing it. When it was discontinued, many thought a modern derivative was on the horizon. After all they've got a killer parallel twin 650 motor on their shelves. Now, in the face of market presence from every other Japanese manufacturer, they're nowhere to be found.
    Whats up with THAT ?
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Sort of confused.

The closest thing is the new T700.
    Noting from Suzuki or Honda.

The 650 twin was updated three or four years ago and never put in the Versys. Still the same engine from 2015.

____
    I predict that around February or March Kawi will unleash the new KLR.
    They are waiting on the 2018 models to be bought. No rush. The T700 will not be here until the summer. But if they had a new KLR up their sleeve, maybe they should have played that card already seeing how the T700 is in Europe for a little while.

The KLR has not been sold in Europe for many years.
    If Kawi does as good of a job on the new thumper as they did on the engine as the Ninja 400, they will make millions with the quickness.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Patience.
    You're preaching to the choir
    RedEX likes this.
  4. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their supercharged 499cc P-Twin KLX-H2 is taking a bit longer than they expected.

:lurk
  5. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I have little faith that KHI will do it right. Don't forget they had the very promising KLX650 and killed it and kept the already decrepit KLR in the mid 90's. Just like Honda did with the XRL versus the XRR.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  6. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Not only that but, when they finally "updated" the KLR after 20 years, they made it LESS of a Dual Sport by adding weight & wrapping it in hard street bike plastics that shatter easily. I really hope the new KLR will be much more "KLX" at heart or I probably won't be getting one. They have the 650 Versys to make an actual ADV-Bike out of, even though the 2nd. gen. KLR is more of an ADV-Bike than the current 650 Versys.
  7. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kawi is not going to drop probably their most successful bike ever and not replace it. I bet 2021.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.