Witnessed a fatal MC accident today

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by sonoran, Dec 29, 2018.

1. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up a brand new 1090R yesterday and took it out for it's maiden voyage this morning. Got about 25 miles into it when I'm riding down a 2 lane road behind 3 vehicles at about 45mph. As we approach a curve in the road I see a large group of Harleys is heading the opposite direction. One of them goes wide across the center line and lowsides directly into a pickup truck 2 cars ahead of me. Two other Harleys come sliding in right after.

On seeing the impact I veered right onto the side of the road got off the bike and went to render aid.

Well there was no aid which could have saved this guy. Massive head trauma, face down bleeding into the pavement. Unconscious. Not breathing. His buddies on the phone screaming at 911 to send air evac. A nurse at the scene tells us not to move him for probable spinal injuries. His bike is leaking fuel and we drag it off the road for fear of a fire. We found a weak pulse but that stopped within a minute. It seemed like an eternity.

Rider had no helmet but I doubt a helmet would have even helped in this case. Combined impact speed had to be close to 90mph.

Not sure what caused him to veer into traffic like that.. maybe he was going too fast or just inexperienced or just not paying attention. Looking at was left of his bike he had those dumbass tall and narrow bars on it. Maybe that didn't help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-s...led-in-multi-vehicle-crash-on-usery-pass-road

Hell of a thing to witness.

Ride safe and keep your head on a swivel friends.
    overtone, Mugwest, eric n and 16 others like this.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Sorry you had to witness that man. That's a pretty damn heavy thing to see. Condolences to the riders friends and family.
  3. vespatim

vespatim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope you are ok. I hope the driver is ok also. No helmet i think is unfair for the 2 of you. Man Hug from me!
  4. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truly shook me up. Not sure if it was seeing it happen or coming to the realization that if I was 2 seconds faster he would have taken me out. Probably both.

Driver of the pickup was ok, shaken up but there wasn't anything which could have done differently.

Impact was so hard it tore the axle off his Ram 2500..

[​IMG]
    Kamala, Branch run, Rakthi and 2 others like this.
  5. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your attempts to render aid. You are a hero to even try. Shitty deal all the way around. Great pics to document the crash. Sucks to die on such a blue sky day.
  6. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    Sorry you had to see that. Thoughts for the guys family.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  7. Vince

Vince Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there maybe 20 years ago, and a Harley as well. He went for a gap across stopped traffic into a side street and hit the car coming along the gutter lane he didnt see on a 4 lane major Rd. You did your best but there are crashes that are unsurvivable. It took me a long while to let it go, the Pros who do this all the time really do need support, it's an ugly thing up close.
    rob1313, DonniBoi, Blue Mule and 3 others like this.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Crap, sorry you had to see that.
  9. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not something I'll forget anytime soon, that's for sure.
    SocalRob likes this.
  10. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rakthi, kwthom, CROSSBOLT and 3 others like this.
  11. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    Look up countersteering on youtube.

It's amazing how many riders have never heard of it.
  12. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    YJake, mslim, Chaostrophy and 2 others like this.
  13. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    This kinda thing will stick with you for a while...
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  14. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I read this section every day. Most of the reason is to learn and maybe to remind myself how quick it can go wrong. I hope the mods leave this up.
  15. insomnia

insomnia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a sad story God rest the poor man and it's going to be hard on his family . Sobering is the right word . It don't make for nice reading or viewing but it may well make people stop and think about what can easily happen I personally don't enjoy group riding it's too much of a distraction . I have slowed down a lot over the years and if other road users are making reasonable progress I just hang back at their pace . It's not a race I over took a crew cab 4x4 and a car yesterday where it wAs safe ten miles later the pick up came up behind me in a small town . No point in putting yourself in danger when you wont gain any time only possibly trash your bike with potential fatal conscincqinces
    Amphib likes this.
  16. JayW

JayW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I’m seeing that curve correctly it looks like an off camber curve, which can be surprisingly difficult if the rider is not ready for it or going too fast. Moreover, a bike like his is not going to handle any sharp curve particularly well.

I’m sure that was a tough ordeal for you, the tape in your head can seem to run on endless Repeat for a while. It was good of you to stop and try to help.
    Biddles likes this.
  17. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look up jumping to conclusions.. Its amazing how many adv'ers do it

The article states there was 20-25 motorcycles in a group. Having seen groups that large ride together, there are situations ive seen first hand where more countersteering wouldnt have helped... like if there was a large gap and a rider is going too fast to fill that gap, enters the corner at a high speed, goes to max lean, only to come up on the rider in front of him going significantly slower. Couldve been a situation where he was forced to choose hitting other bikes in his lane or standing it up and going into oncoming traffic, situations which obviously couldve been avoided but nonetheless, occurred. I just dont think there was enough information provided by the article or the OP to positively say exactly what the cause was. Hell, how do we know the guy wasnt riding directly next to someone else who didnt turn properly and he was avoiding that rider, or if another rider hit him from behind......

Unless im completely comfortable with everyones skill level, I wont ride in a tight pack with them, Ill bring up the rear and watch from a distance.
  18. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Condolences to the rider's family and friends. While I never "like' these postings I see the importance of them. Thanks for sharing this and I hope you can get past this and the bad images you've been left to deal with.
    kwisn, Chaostrophy and sonoran like this.
  19. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only person who knows what went wrong is no longer here to tell us. People will come to different conclusions about why this happened. The lesson here is that you are the only one in control of your fate when riding either solo or in a group. You need to ride like everyone else on the road is out to kill you. It's easy to fall into a false sense of security, lose focus over the scenery, distracted by your cell phone beeping or whatever. Lose focus and potentially lose your life. Bad shit happens very fast even at moderate speeds on a clear sunny day.

Not trying to sound preachy. Just a reminder to ride within your limits and stay focused on your surroundings.
  20. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    With 20-25 other riders in his group, you dont think at least one person would have enough insight about his actions prior to the crash? Will those of us on this website ever know? probably not
    neanderthal and ohgood like this.