Witnessed a fatal MC accident today

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by sonoran, Dec 29, 2018.

1. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point, that could very well be. If someone else was the cause or should have said something sooner then they'll need to live with that.
  2. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very sorry you witnessed that. RIP to the brother that passed away. Prayers for his family.
  3. Unca Fud

Unca Fud nrpetersen

Oddometer:
    Good point raised above (Post 16 and others) where side-by-side riding with someone inexperienced on your right who doesn't know and practice countersteering, can unintentionally force you into an oncoming lane despite all you know about handling a 2 wheeled vehicle.
    Sad. RIP.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  4. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that stretch well...looks like the Harley group was southbound towards AJ / Mesa.

Thanks for doing the right thing, sorry you had to witness it, and sorry for the man who lost his life, his survivors, and all those involved.
  5. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear you having to witness that. Bravo for attempting to render aid. Prayers for all.
  6. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Prayers go out to the family and friends of the rider who died and the OP also. I've seen 3 horrible multi fatality auto/truck accidents over the years and those pictures will forever be burned into my brain. Time will push them into the background but they will always be there until some tragedy awakens them. Kudos to the OP for trying to render assistance. I know the helpless feelings that comes from seeing someone pass into eternity right in front of you and there isn't anything you can do about it. A special thanks to all the first responders who have to deal with these things far to often.
    LukyDvll, kwthom and Chaostrophy like this.
  7. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Exactly the right phrasing. I’ve seen a number of minor get offs and was far, far too close to one fatality. Really shook me up for a while and even years later I think about that guy and how it was just a matter of a few seconds that made it turn out the way it did. If I’d have been going straight instead of turning, that left turn driver would have gotten us both instead of just him.

No rhyme or reason. Just luck. Happenstance. Nothing more.
  8. Vince

Vince Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen a couple of riders go off the edge trail riding and both were okish if a cracked wrist counts as ok. It's a horrible shock to see someone just disappear off a cliff right in front of you.
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m so sorry you had to witness that and sorry for the man’s family and friends.

Just an aside on first aid, if someone isn’t breathing go ahead and move them to open their airway or give mouth to mouth. They may have spinal injuries, but unless emergency help is only a couple of minutes away they aren’t going to survive anyways or survive with significant brain damage. You can learn how to move someone to limit spinal movement.
    gspell68, BluByU, Traxx and 5 others like this.
  10. Jarvis

Jarvis DC GSer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    it's fine.

glad you're ok
  11. ride200mi

ride200mi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is THE VERY FIRST thing I taught my son when he decided to start riding on the pavement. First thing......
    Chaostrophy and rufus like this.
  12. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Every one of them, that didn't take motorcycle training. Every one of 'em.
    gspell68, neanderthal and Chaostrophy like this.
  13. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Making an educated guess, I'll say "Target Fixation." Followed closely with PANIC.
    gspell68, Kamala, JaySwear and 3 others like this.
  14. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Condolences to the friends and family of the deceased and respect to Sonoran for "getting involved" and trying to help. I'm not confident I could pass that test.

Any word on the condition of the other two riders who low sided?
  15. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    good on your for taking the right actions and helping as much as you could.

Godspeed to the rider, and I hope his family is cared for.

If you need to talk to someone please find a way to do that.

Rod
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    25 bikes, tight formation, ran wide in turn, yup... happens a lot
    neanderthal likes this.
  17. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting, hopefully we're all reminded to stay in our limitations.

Could have been a number of things but tight formation riding with different skill levels is a high risk imo.

From my experience its hard to convince cruiser riders to take rider training (or read books/videos on it) as they see it as something you do to go "fast" and they have no desire to go fast so figure it's not something they need. At least that's my experience with my inlaws who ride Harley's (one has crashed 3 times).

I've always seen it as you might be taking your sweet time but need to avoid something and require the capability to use every last drop of performance available within the limits of physics to survive.
  18. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brutal.

Watching someone die on the side of the road is an experience that will stay with you. Kudos for actually stopping, and attempting aid.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  19. Firestorm;

Firestorm; Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sonoran, good job for pulling over and helping out. I feel for this guy and his family. No matter why the accident happened it’s a real shame for everyone. And as Rod mentioned above. If you find it’s starting to get to you, get some help. I speak from experience as a Firefighter for 32 years. Some things you just can’t deal with on your own ;
    rob1313, sonoran and Chaostrophy like this.
  20. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    Thankyou for posting this. You are a hero for stopping and offering aid, and I hope that you have no ill effects from seeing it. Please keep talking about it here or with others, and always remember that you may have seen what happened but you were not part of what happened.
    drmiller100 likes this.