Witnessed a fatal MC accident today

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by sonoran, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I am curious - in the OP, you wrote that two other Harleys slid right in?? did the other two bikes crash or hit the truck?

I've come on a fatal MV accident where I knew the guy in the car. It stays with you a while but then you process it and put it in perspective, over time.
  2. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

I went to Rolling Thunder about 7 or eight years ago just to see what it was all about. I started out from the Pentagon parking lot and white knuckled it out of there and swore I'd never do it again. Trying to watch in front, back and both sides was nerve wracking. Way too many people there that had no business being on a bike. I was amazed that there weren't way more accidents.
  3. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cross the line in a curve? No helmet? That kind of driving would not grant you a drivers license where I am from. When entering a curve, I was instructed to lay on the outer edge of the road. If I didn\t do that I wouldn't pass and have the mc drivers license.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  4. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All this sounds very alien to me. I live in Norway and there is no way to get on a bike without training. And every teacher should instruct on counter steering. I have not yet reicived my first bike and I know these things. Also if I drive without a helmet I will be guaranteed to be pulled over and receive a pay an expensive fine.
    Boondox and Chaostrophy like this.
  5. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing all the negativity. Shit, the dude died. I'm sure he didn't want his ride to end that way. All the training in the world may or may not save you, given the circumstances.
    OP - Hope you are able to keep your head in a good place when you ride. I witnessed something similar - while riding - about 15 years ago. It's still a vivid picture in my head, if I let it go there. You did all you could do.....
    Kamala, scottdc and FreewheelBurning like this.
  6. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Sorry you had to see this. If if the rider was not aware of it, good of you to make sure he did not die alone.

Hopefully good Karma for you.

Rod
  7. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 other bikes low sided over the line and luckily missed any oncoming vehicles. Both riders sustained minor injuries and were treated on scene.
  8. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Back in the 70s I had to take a lengthy hands-on course before I could get a sticker to bring my bike aboard MCB Camp Lejeune. One of the points they hammered into us was Look, Lean, BELIEVE. Look where you want to go, Lean into to curve (countersteer), Believe that the bike will make it if you follow the first two guidelines.

The other thing they preached was Ride like a prairie dog, alert for threats in every direction: snakes below you, coyotes around you, raptors above you. I personally find that much more intuitive than the SEE acronym the MSF preaches.

I worked the ER at Camp Lejeune for a couple years and witnessed the results of several MC crashes. In a clinical environment you do your best to compartmentalize, to keep emotions at bay, though there were a few cases that really got to me. Not the rider, but the loved ones who had to see what was left of their husbands, fathers, boyfriends. Years later I was riding through a little New England town and came to a stoplight. In front of me was a Harley with the rider wearing a beanie helmet. He turned right, hit gravel at a very low speed, lost control and went down. His head impacted the granite curb right below his beanie and the full weight of his bike finished the job. Just like that he was gone. So pointless...
    Tammy and neanderthal like this.
  9. Unca Fud

Unca Fud nrpetersen

Oddometer:
    I have trouble with the MSF of teaching "look where you want to go". Hell, I can look anywhere when I'm in a turn. If I'm being confronted with a major conflict, I will probably be looking at the conflict, and not somewhere else.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Some riders may not know this, coming from bikes other than big HD Ultra Classics and such. I have many miles on these bikes. What amazes me is how thy are NOT DYNAMIC in turns. Let me explain. On my Triumph T100 for example, the bike can take any reasonable line I want, and it can change line mid turn if need be. If I'm riding sporty I am usually hanging off in the turn a little just to give me more options if I need it.

A fully loaded HD tourer takes ONE line. Its like a rate of turn. The faster its going the wider the arc and the slower its going the smaller the arc is. Thats how you turn them. By speed. You can still try and hang off it and take some really smooth in and out lines if you want and you do countersteer but not at all like most of the bikes people here ride. And if the inside floorboard starts scraping you are completely effed. They don't fold up. Usually if that happens you are going to cross the double yellow

And that wrecked bike really looks like it has a car tire on the back.
  11. metlcutr55

metlcutr55 LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer:
    to all the Harley, cruiser, "these guys" responders, fuck you. you weren't there and you do not know. RIP to the lost brother, his family and friends.
    lfmn, Kamala, Advntr and 1 other person like this.
  12. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    Accidents happen in the blink of an eye.

July 4th 2018 at lunch time - rural town of 1,200 in East-Central Missouri on a 2-lane 55 speed zone with a half-dozen cars on each side, spaced 6-8-10+ car lengths.

We were running East, when an West-bound car pulls directly into the path of the car in front of us. Both cars came to an abrupt, immediate stop and we were hit by flying debris.

103 foot skid mark for us - 2-up on a Yamaha VStar1300. Missed the accident by a foot and a half.
    [​IMG]
    Let's all say a little prayer for each other.
    Go out and check a few more items off of your bucket list.
    Hug your loved ones.

Tomorrow is never promised.
    gen1fizzy, Unca Fud and Tammy like this.
  13. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about the pic in the first post it's a Dunlop MC tire, either a K591 or a D401. Hard to tell the two apart since they have the same tread pattern. You can see the matching tread pattern on the front tire in the other pic. These Dunlops are OEM equipment on Harleys.
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very wide difference in the degree of damage between the 2 cars. I do not know what the one in the ditch was, it did not seem to have done very well.

Good wishes for the drivers. Good on you avoiding this,
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My brother's friend (who also happens to be his girlfriend's cousin) was killed on his new-to-him motorcycle this weekend. He was riding at night, and hit a pickup that was blocking both lanes as he backed a trailer into a driveway. The news article says the rider may have been on drugs or alcohol. He may have been a flawed individual, but he was a good person. He had been married less than 2 years. It looks like he hit the driver's side of the pickup hard enough to drive it back into its own lane and bend the suspension a little. I'd imagine that points to excessive speed as well.

[​IMG]

This is the second friend my brother has lost to motorcycle accidents. The first was a solo crash, and most definitely the rider's fault. I have also lost one friend, who was also at fault. I would estimate that approximately 3/4 of the motorcycle accidents I've known something about were the riders' fault. It only takes a short lapse in judgement to bite you.

My brother has been looking for a motorcycle he can afford for about a year, while his girlfriend has been adamantly opposed to the idea. I bet after the loss of her cousin, she will be even more hostile to the idea. I think my brother would do OK on a bike. He crashed a few cars in his youth, and as a result has become a calm, careful, and attentive driver. He has quite a bit of experience riding ATVs, and a little bit of experience riding off road 2-wheelers. He wants a Harley Sportster 883 with some all terrain tires so he and I can explore forest roads looking for fishing spots.

I received a call from my Mom telling me to park my motorcycle for a while. She has never liked me riding (few moms do). I told her it has been parked too long already due to snow...all I got was crickets. I actually planned to ride to her place the next time I went for a visit, and will probably stick to that plan. After quite a while off the bike, I won't be riding aggressively, though.
    SocalRob likes this.
  16. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    That really sucks. I wouldn't ride to my mom's house if she told you to park the bike. Its just going to upset her.

One of the things that I feel we have to do mentally is make a list of all the "no" things in riding. No riding at night, no speeding, etc. No making mom worry. Then make a list of all we do to stay safe. AGATT, Hi Vis, lane position and defensive riding,new tires, etc. My impressiion from your post is that you see this as a threat to your riding and your brothers riding. Let it be, let it be the thing that makes you more safe in the end. We all want the fun and adventure without the terrible impact. We are all affected by this. Its a tricky line to walk. No puns here, I'm wrestling with the same dillemma.
    Cameleer, brenter and shelglass like this.
  17. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    Where does this shit come from?
    Ooops we are being trolled
    Excellent 3d post
    Why do you feel it is required to ask that?
    What does that have to do with this thread?
    If you want to debate car tires on motorcycles we have a thread with other morans you can join
    The thread is about an inmate who was unfortunate enough to have to witnessed a life changing event for many including them!
  18. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Came from looking at a picture and asking a question, you twat. Maybe, just maybe, not every single inmate is 100% familiar with HD and their tires. Question was answered pages ago. Now you bringing it up again. Its a stock tire for that bike.

Here's a picture of that stock tire for that HD.

cartire.jpg

[​IMG]
    jeffmackvision and wedgeman like this.
  19. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    All sorts of organizations analyze ‘hazardous’ activities and related ‘incidents’. This is done to understand the causes of accidents, injuries, fatalities in an effort to prevent, mitigate or manage risk through practical experience. This sort of information seems, to me, to be the most productive way to approach this subject. Read, learn, know, share. Over the years I have gained a great deal of insight from reading these sorts of reports and applying the lessons learned to my own practices and considering changes in my own behaviors.

http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/about_accidents

http://www.motorcycleinstitute.org/data/

https://uspa.org/p/Article/malfunction-malfunction-malfunctionthe-2017-fatality-summary

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK487743/
  20. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    The offending vehicle was a 2003 Buick Century. The really ugly one is a Chevy Aveo. Certainly, the Aveo took more damage because of the larger Century - but it also looks much worse because they had cut the roof off in order to extricate the driver.