Witnessed a fatal MC accident today

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by sonoran, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    So very, very true. Then, too many decide that alcohol is a good idea too. These decisions come from EGO. Poor decisions, the both of them.
  2. FireSpaceLigers

FireSpaceLigers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like they used jaws of life to peel the top off of the ditched car to help the occupants. But that's just speculation.

EDIT: Just saw that someone else said this two posts above.
  3. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    I’m a fairly new rider in the two-wheeled world compared to almost everyone here, but the first thing I did when I got on two wheels was to test myself and the bike in curves and turns (and still do, just in case).
    I feel it’s plenty capable of going even deeper than I am comfortable with.
    I feel that events like in the original post are probably totally avoidable if folks trusted their bikes a little more and dug a little deeper.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  4. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to take a rider’s course several times in the military. I drove sidecars so I didn’t pay as close attention as I should have, but the one thing that stuck with me is to keep your head up and look where you’re going.
    That really works.
  5. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
    I suspect even a big ol’ road sofa will lean a lot more than owners believe it can.
  6. FireSpaceLigers

FireSpaceLigers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The most common pilot death is similar.

When a pilot overshoots the 90 degree base leg to final leg turn, an inexperienced pilot is uncomfortable with banking the airplane beyind a certain angle when close to the ground. The airplane can handle that! Instead, they maintain the same bank angle and press the rudder to skid the airplane, causing a spin stall into the ground.

I had a flight instructor tell me skidding was a GOOD procedure. I got rid of him.
    Friz Freleng and Sal Pairadice like this.
  7. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    If you have never ridden one of them, you would be shocked. They scrape pegs or floorboards just changing lanes.That is an exaggeration, but its a way to get the point across. And they don't respond as much when you hang off ...or they do but not as much...but I would guess that the other major factor is the large group. Being in a big formation, and since it was 3 bikes that all did the same thing, someone hit someone else or got in his way and a chain reaction ensued. Depending on if the group formation was staggered or side by side, things could ( and obviously did) get ugly real fast.
  8. birtwistle

birtwistle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    target fixation was the first thing that went through my mind, as he wasn't speeding. It's not about luck, but experience. Even the following riders went down. I'm sorry, but that's a group i would not want to ride with.
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  9. birtwistle

birtwistle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    target fixation by all three riders in my opinion. Very sad, but it's got nothing to do with luck, and everything to do with experience. You need need to look through the turn and that's where you will go. It's hard to do, but would save many lives if riders spent some time trail riding at lower speed where they can make mistakes without dieing. It's a great activity, but sadly incredibly unforgiving.
  10. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you getting the information that these riders werent speeding? I just looked at the original article again and it hasnt been updated since December....
  11. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's about training, experience and protection!
  12. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    That's because you live in Norway. Getting a driver's license is a total joke in the United States. To get a motorcycle license I got a permit (no experience or training) and started riding around. The only limitation was don't ride at night and no passengers. After a few months I took a 20 minute road test and off to the races. I've been to Norway/Denmark/Sweden/Finland/Germany and you have some of the best driver's in the world (safety) because of all this training.

And your buses have right of way turning left at intersections under a green light. I'm glad I was told that by a helpful Swede before I promptly died.
  13. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    Hogwash is written below as the the hog riding expert has spoken.
    Big fat tour bikes have many lines thru a turn and are quite nimble for the size esp the 14 and up oinkers. Bases on the wonderful insight provided I should be dead a long time ago.

14. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    I didn't say " Big fat tour bikes" , that is your term. I have a big fat V-Strom 1000 with Michelin Pilot Activs that will just fly down back roads. I said Big HD Ultra Classics. You may say they are nimble, but then again you want to put a car tire on the back. That why you were sensitive about the car tire question. Unless when you say you " want to ride the dark side" you mean something else LOL. You want to put a steel belted car tire on a Ultra Classic and tell me how great it handles in the curves?? No sir, no way. That dog won't hunt.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Well posted.

It's like walking or running. There is not secret to it.

___
    I was riding the DR650 one day and thought that it was odd that the bars turned in a funky direction.

I reliazed it was the counter steering I had been reading about for a couple years.

Granted, I ride really slow and do not push the envelope. If I wasi a hurry I would have a cage. You can drive for hours in them. Some have almost 425 miles of range. And you do not need to stop for heavy rains.
  16. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting this. It's a very sobering reminder of the risk that we take when we swing a leg over the bike. I like to constantly remind myself of these risks -- as you have done -- so I can try to mitigate as much as possible. I've been down, on the highway too and in the middle of DC rushhour. Was rearended at about 35mph forcing a high-side. Luck and gear saved me that day (I walked away with only a gash down my lower leg).

My old coworker road for 20 years with no gear and no helmet and finally went down in a minor low-side. He got spooked and vowed to never get back on a bike again which suggested to me that he never truly appreciated the risks until the incident.

I hope that I will never be down again, but statistics are not in my favor. Until then, I will use stories and images like these to keep myself sharp and aware of the risk.
  17. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep seeing the comments about not knowing how to countersteer. I'm genuinely confused on HOW you can ride a motorcycle without countersteering unless it's a trike or a sidecar rig. Not being familiar with the term is one thing, but not doing it... doubt it.
    Sal Pairadice and Got_Carbs? like this.
  18. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Amen to the idea that we should have mandatory training and safety education. That alone would save thousands of lives every year. Think about that.
    FreewheelBurning likes this.
  19. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Agree.
    I got some bad advice from a guy when I got my first motorcycle. He said "you can't ride a motorcycle like you do a bicycle". I had no idea what he meant. I had raced XC mountain bikes for several years and rode pretty hard core (my fastest recoded speed was 56 MPH on my Litespeed hardtail). When I finally took my motorcycle out on the road for the first time, those words kept echoing in my head before I pulled out of my driveway. I finally decided to ignore the advice and ride like I rode my mountain bike...everything was fine. Turns out I was counter steering all those years and didn't know what it was called.
  20. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I don't agree with mandatory training. I took it upon myself to learn how to ride properly, and there's no reason others can't do the same. If some people don't care enough about themselves to properly learn a skill that has risk, then there's no point in others forcing that care on them. It's their life in the end.
    overtone and skag like this.