Witnessed a fatal MC accident today

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by sonoran, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Sal. Here is CA, a new rider under the age of 18 has to take a motorcycle training course before he/she can get an endorsement. I think it ought to be required of all new endorsement applicants. I mean, really, it's kind of absurd that a brand new 16 year-old motorcycle rider could go directly from the DMV to a BMW dealer and buy a brand new S1000rr.
  2. Khantahr

Khantahr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think training should be mandatory, because it's not only themselves that a rider's training, or lack thereof, affects. Out riding in the dirt by yourself or with friends, sure, teach yourself. Out on the road where everything you do can affect others, no way. Even putting safety aside, not knowing what you're doing on the road influences traffic (makes it worse), which wastes everybody's time, costs everybody more money, and adds more pollution.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  3. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed, good Sir, we have to override biology that predisposes us to fixate on the problem, and it's not easy, but it must be done.

I spent 25 years lane-splitting on a 80-100 mile roundtrip commute. Nothing like riding between the meshing cogs of a giant meat grinder to teach you where and how you must, and must not, look. Truly it is zen, like a samurai duel. You have to look everywhere, and nowhere. If you fixate on anything, you're done.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    You better look for an escape route.
  5. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is probably different around the world and depends on culture, politics and individuality. Where I'm from, Norway, my impression or at least my opinion is that there is no given right to ride what you want or drive what you want. You got to earn the right by gaining the correct skill set before you're allowed to drive in traffic. We have certain demands. We also have public hospitals so if people get injured or killed in traffic, that is an expense the society much pay for. All in all I think strict riding license requirements save lives.
  6. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be clear the only requirement for an MC license in AZ is to pass a basic skills test conducted by the DMV.

I just took a look at the Arizona Motorcyclists Manual which is prep for the riding test. There is only 1 mention of countersteering in the document and it refers to trikes.

https://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-source/mvd-forms-pubs/99-0129.pdf

I think I will write to ADOT and ask them to include a section on proper steering techniques.
  7. ExplorerFrog

ExplorerFrog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tough thing to see as I've been unfortunate to see the same. I hope the truck driver is mentally okay as that is a tough place to be.