Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by randingo, Nov 22, 2016.

1. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    Years ago, Big Dog used some cut-down Sterilite Top Touch 5.2 Gal trash cans as liners for the WM Dry Saddle Bags. Those trash cans were discontinued long ago. Has anyone found a good replacement. I made a template and went looking at Walmart, Target, Etc. and haven't found a good fit, but maybe somebody out there in cyberland has?
  2. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Trash compactor bags are fairly thick (2 mil) but not huge: typically 18 gallon. Thicker bags tend to get very large.

For example Lowes and Home Depot have 3-4 mil bags but they are drum liners basically.
  3. randingo

Oddometer:
    Thx! These aren't use so much for liners, but rather as stiffeners for the actual soft bag. It makes the bag significantly more user friendly.
  4. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Ah, I see... trash cans AS liners, not trash can liners. Oops.
  5. Oldwin1

Oldwin1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bags came with stiffeners
  6. codys

codys Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer:
    I took my bags into walmart and had a tough time too. I wanted a white liner so i could see in the bag better and give them shape too. A moto friend showed me how a couple slices on the plastic container let the upper portion flex in for bag insertion but push out to near normal shape when stuffing the bag. Try this. Ultimately a ?? gallon trash can worked with maybe 6 inches cut off the top and a couple side slits.
    MurphCO and CPAT like this.
  7. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    +1
  8. Outjustout

Outjustout My Compass is Pointless Supporter

Oddometer:
    Flexible cutting boards work really well. They are also flexible in the event of a fall so you're less likely to scrub a hole on the bag. I found a 5 pack of assorted colors at Ross or Marshall's for just a few dollars.
  9. BobintheMtns

BobintheMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was gonna say, my wolfman bags came with stiffeners too---
    You should call them up and order some from them rather than reverse engineer something..
    Or if you're on the front range, I'll give you mine for some beer (I used them once and don't anymore).....
  10. codys

Oddometer:
    I have stiffeners too. My quest was to improve them. A light color stiffener helps my bad eyes look around in the bag. I'm assuming this is the OP goal. :dunno
    Bartimus likes this.
  11. randingo

Oddometer:
    Here's where I was coming from. Based on what Big Dog had done, I thought I'd and find a garbage can that would fit in the bags. Since the one he used is no longer made, I found one that was sort of close, but far from perfect. I cut the garbage cans up, per his thread, and put them in the bags. IMHO, these liners make the bag much more slick to use in many ways and FAR better than the stiffeners that come with the bags. Yes, being white makes things easier to see. There's less adjusting of the straps to fit the load you have in them......when you need to jam a lot of shit in them for a trip, it's much easier.....there damn near as convenient as hard bags.
    That's just my 2 cents based on my experience. Love the bags, just trying to get them one step closer to perfect.
    TaZ9 and KHVol like this.
  12. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    I got the same bags, got pics of your handy work?
  13. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to REI and get appropriately sized stuff sacks. Not stiff but easy to use and not too expensive.
    Outjustout likes this.
  14. randingo

Oddometer:
    Here's the pics of the garbage cans used in the bags. As you can see, the bottom of the can is too narrow and doesn't fill out the bag. When I load up for camping, I fill that area with gear as space is at a premium. I've looked all over hell for a can with a better fit (OCD) IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1707.JPG , but still can't find one.
    HanzoSteel likes this.
  15. codys

Oddometer:
    I went and pulled a liner out of my expedition bag. It's a mainstay 5.5 gallon Walmart plastic trash can. The bottom says sterilite 1052. If I remember right the can won't really fit in the bag unless you slit both wide sides all the way to the base. Very little extra space left in the bottom of the expedition bag. I couldn't be happier. I will take some pics tomorrow. Next time at Walmart I will see if they have more.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Wolfman trash can liner mod, this is how i did mine, and it makes a big difference in how well the Expeditions perform. i don't recall the Sterilite #, but they were very inexpensive, and have proven very durable.

EDIT: these are the Sterilite Touch Top 5.2 gallon trash cans mentioned by the OP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TaZ9, GF-kam and HanzoSteel like this.
  17. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Backpacking stuff sacks work well for me..can get a size that fits...just not rigid
  18. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently bought Wolfman Expedition saddle bags and was not happy with the original plastic floor and side pieces. Searched all over like others for the Sterilite 5.2 gallon base C wastebaskets but they aren't made anymore. I found a wastebasket at Lowes that works. Essentially the same modifications are needed as for the original Sterilite, but both the front and back needs to be slit. I did drill a larger hole for the rear slit, it tended to pucker with the small hole. It fills out the bag well and is a nice tight fit. Haven't tried it in real use yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    350Rizzer, bad luck and HanzoSteel like this.
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am on the picket fence for soft saddle bags for my F800GS with Jesse Luggage hard racks. Some thoughts, ideas, and questions.

I know there are a number of alternative options like Mosko. But, I am looking for saddle bags with fastest setup time. Unfortunately my Jesse racks have that wrap around muffler design. So, I am looking at Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle bags.

Last I checked, the Wolfman come with Stiffeners built in. Is it not adequate on bottom and sides ??

I know finding perfect trash can for stiffener is hit or miss. The soft thin cutting boards seem logical. Can a bottom and 2-3 for circumference. When the bag is fully loaded, the stiffeners ( flex cutting boards ) are pushed to walls. The overlapping sliding motion , will let the slide walls expands. When bags are empty or not fully loaded, the flex cutting boards can move in creating lower profile for saddle bags.

I hope this makes sense. Anyone actual try the flex cutting boards? Any photos? Any photos of Wolfman Expedition on F800GS? F800GS and Jesse racks?

Thanks.
  20. CPTCO

CPTCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about the liner from a cheap, soft sided cooler or lunch box?