Wolfman Saddle Bags 2010

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by LostViking, Jul 18, 2010.

1. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good Morning, Grizzeled 800 Adventurers,

Question. Has anyone mounted these to their F800GS yet? I'm looking specifically for these mounted with Wolfman's proprietary rack system.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/expd_dry_saddle_bags.html

I was wondering if the racks are symmetrical or asymmetrical. And would love to see pictures if anyone has them mounted.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Accessories/wolf_side_rack.html

I'm just having a hard time coping with the $$$ of the adventure cases from the Fatherland and seeking other options. I have sorted through the other hard options and would like to seriously look at these given weight and crash worthy concerns.

Thanks,

P.S. I've been through the hard and soft threads and did not see these discussed.
  2. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
  3. ouray rider

ouray rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    asymetrical. The right side bars from the top come down and hit the bodywork which did'nt please me. The system is good except for this issue. I'll pst pics later...............
  4. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be cool,
  5. Moab

Moab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I have sorted through the other hard options and would like to seriously look at these given weight and crash worthy concerns."

I would be very interested in this as well, what is the durability of these? they are expensive, and to see them rip or tear or grind away in a fall would be horrible :()
    And what would happen in a fall? anyone have experience?
  6. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been using the wolfman beta bag on my bike ever since I got it (and on an R100gs for a few years previously). Its different then what is being discussed here as it does not require a rack.

I've never taken a dirt nap while going more than a couple miles an hour so take this with a grain of salt. The bag is made of pretty durable material and doesnt seem any worse for wear given the couple of times its been. . .resting (even in gravel). It wouldnt much bother me if it did shred on a get-off as its not really that expensive when compared to the metal options out there. I could buy 3 of these for what ONE jesse would have cost me.

A downside is that if you go down, anything in the bags are vulnerable to breakage but I dont usually have anything that would break--mostly just sleeping gear, clothes, tent, stove etc.

For comparison, I have used the plastic BMW bags, jesses and happy trails. After almost breaking my leg with the happy trails I went with soft bags.

So, for less money and less weight I am sacrificing durability and weather-proofing.

I've been thinking of upgrading to this new system but I dont know if I want a rack on my bike. Still seems kind of spendy to me.
  7. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    They leak.

You have to use dry-bags if you want to keep your stuff dry!!
  8. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. The Heathen

The Heathen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got wolfman racks and their dry bags. I really like them when off road riding. However, I'd like the option of using panniers, say touratech vega pros.. Wondering if anyone has tried mounting hard bags on the wolfman racks. They seem strong enough, but they do seem smaller than most racks made to handle panniers.
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Since I can't find a single picture of an actual F800 with the Wolfman racks on their own website, could one of you guys please post one? Preferably without the bags.

Thanks!
  11. Moab

Moab Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have a few that Wolfman sent me when I complained that they have no pics of the f800 with their bags. I have never been able to post pics to the ADV site (yes, the attachments fit the requirements, just keep getting the error "unable to upload file" which tells me nothing :ddog)
    I'd be happy to email you the pics.
  12. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'd be happy to post the pics if you email them to me. PMing you my address.

By the way, the photo uploading on this site sucks just like on most others. Just sign up for a free and easy Photobucket account, or support this site and sign up for the more functional Smugmug.
  13. Moab

Moab Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just sent you the pics...thanks
  14. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are the pictures Moab received from Wolfman. Unfortunately none of them show the racks properly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Hehe ... I love the ADVrider approach to a downed bike. Don't pick it up until you have a good photo.

I'm about to pull the trigger on Wolfman bags for my HP2 and have been reading up on them. From everything I hear, they take abuse well. They're popular with the off-road thumper crowd, which tells you something.

I haven't heard anyone complain about them not being waterproof, and they are advertised as dry bags and have the usual dry bag roll top. I imagine it's hard for water to get in -- unless they're overstuffed and the top isn't rolled properly. Bigem, are you an owner, or are you passing along something you heard?
  16. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here i don't have any w/ the bags off but since the bags are currently off i can snap a couple if you want. For the money i think its the best thing going. It's really very heavy duty.

[​IMG]

there are several threads currently with pics of these bags on here.
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a four-day trip from Oregon to Utah and back, and during the course of the ride, the glue holding the velcro strips onto the rubber shields on the back of the bags failed due to heat from the exhaust (I swapped the bag's sides when the first one failed). The air temps weren't extreme (max. 84°F), and the stock muffler is 2.5 inches from the bags when attached to the racks, so I don't think that the exhaust heat was excessive. Never had a problem with my Caribou bags on the same SW-Motech racks. However, I lost one shield somewhere on I-70, and the other became partially unglued.

But Eric from Wolfman is express shipping me another set for free, with the velcro sewed on this time. That should fix the problem. But those of you with the glued-on only strips may want to keep an eye on things. Fortunately, if they do fail you can count on great customer service from Wolfman. :thumb

David
  18. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wolfman, usa made. Here in hell i haven't experienced anything like mentioned above and it's way WAY hotter. Glad to see wolfman step to the plate. The dry bags really are the shit! Love them.
  19. DrRock

DrRock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone actually have photos of these off the bike (i.e., bags removed)? I've seen pictures of these on other bikes, just not the 800.

Thanks...
  20. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First try searching.

There about ten threads about the Wolfmans.

Here's one: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673857

[​IMG]

[​IMG]