Won’t start in gear

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by northern, Aug 17, 2018.

1. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2009 F800GS wont start when it is in gear and the clutch is pulled all the way in to the bars.

Bike will start in neutral, no matter where the clutch lever is set.

So I removed the clutch lever microswitch and bench tested it. It shows continuity with my tester when the switch is engaged. I put it back on the bike and tried again. Still won’t start in gear. Bike is on the Centre stand in the garage with the side stand up.

I checked the side stand switch and it operates fine. Bike starts with the side stand down in neutral, put it into gear and the bike stalls with the side stand down.

Another other suggestions?
  2. northern

Oddometer:
    I dedided to try another test. Disconnected the clutch micro switch and put a jumper wire across the plug. Starts in 1st!

So then I reconnected the switch and manually pushed the clutch micro switch in and the bike started in 1st gear!

So is there an adjustment?
  3. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check if the cluth lever is actuating the micro switch when pulled in. Perhaps use silicone spray on the switch.
  4. northern

Oddometer:
    Update, new micro switch and problem solved. Old micro switch was intermittent.
    morfic likes this.
  5. CSousa

CSousa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you solved it. The microswitches are prone to failure. We have two 800's (2010 F800 and 650 twin). Switch went on both of them within a month of each other.

In case anyone needs a decent source, I got my replacements (they also carry the brake switch) from EME (www.euromotoelectrics.com). Good price too.
    =o&o> and morfic like this.