Wondering about which Touring/Dualsport to use in Mex/C.A/S.A.

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Zokambaa, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Curious to know how long you've been riding and what bikes you owned before your BMW.
    Nice to have that option, but for me big miles is not job one. Just depends on your pace, plan and priorities I guess. I rode 1000 miles on my DR650 but only did so due to a family emergency. Would never chose to do that myself. But LD riding can be addicting to some. (IE: Iron Butt guys) Real travel is not about doing 1000 mile days. See Ted Simon. :clap
  2. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

:evil:rofl
  3. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Bman has thick skin. I try and irritate the hell of out him every time I see him. But he's just a super mild mannered guy.
  4. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    You're still not getting my beer.

I forgot to answer the question about how long I've been riding. I'm a cliche. I had a 20 year hiatus, got divorced, bought a motorcycle, rode it around Lake Superior, and kept riding so that I've been averaging 15,000 or 20,000 miles a year. I guess this means I've ridden about 70,000 or 80,000 miles in the last four years... something like that. Big rides have been twice around Lake Superior, once to Florida, twice to Colorado, once to California, once to Mexico, once to Argentina. The Exxon Valdez isn't really suited for riding to the grocery store. Locally it's really only good for parking in front of Quaker Steak and Lube on Bike Nights to provoke "holy shit what the fuck is that?!" comments from harley wannabes. I'm such a cliche, dare I say it... ? I'm 45, paunchy, going bald faster than I'm going grey, and the woman I'm dating is 24.
  5. cruthas

cruthas AdvMotorcyclist Counselor

Oddometer:
    I vote KLR, but my vote may be particle because I have owned two and ridden on across Latin American. Reliable, easy to fix, and fun to ride anywhere. :D
  6. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    On account of occasionally (like, right now) getting annoyed (read: pissed off) at noob's asking the same question, I decided to post something on this thread and thereby move it to the top of the forum.

Meanwhile, I think the best bike to ride from Wisconsin to Tierra del Fuego would be a Harley Electro Glide. With white-wall tires. These big bikes are surprisingly agile, they offer tons of storage, and the harley network is the biggest in the world outside of China.
  7. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    :evil