Wondering if it's time for a 800gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Jproaster, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Jproaster

Jproaster I work too much

Oddometer:
    In the winter of 2013 I (biker noob) was seeking a bike for a Tennessee to Mexico trip. Was debating a 800gs, which seemed like a dream bike to me. But, for financial reasons (reasonably good deal on a '12 vstrom 650 adv) and maybe feeling slightly intimated by the gs as a biker noob, I went with the Suzuki. My trip to Mexico was awesome and the bike was superb.

Now I'm eyeing a trip to Alaska in '17 and I'm wondering if it's time to go GS. My vstrom is more than capable, but it's definitely more asphalt oriented. To be honest I just want to try something different...little more dirt oriented. I'll look for something used for my mishaps on dirt roads.

So, I'm wondering if the GS is my next step bike. Maybe it's something else.

If your ceiling amount was 11k for a used bike (less when you figure panniers, etc), is there a certain year to avoid, too much mileage or whatever you know that I should be asking...what would you be looking to obtain?

Thanks,
    John
  2. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    There's nothing wrong with a Wee Strom.

But if you get a GS, then one with a build date after Feb 2012. A 2013 is good also. That'll get you the new design alternator. There are many threads here about used bikes. Happy reading.
  3. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put some Mitas E07 tyres on your DL and ride a bit slower when it gets rough.

Can you buy a Suzuki DR650 in the States? Lighter than the DL or the GS and more dirt worthy.
  4. Jproaster

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the alternator info.
    Always reading.
    Wee is fun...even mild off road. Just exploring right now.

John
  5. Reaver

Oddometer:
    There is no tire kicking. You must want it with all your heart then pay whatever the bill says and accept it's faults like they were endearing engineering. Then you must buy all the latest BMW riding gear in matching colors. Once you do this, you must ignore all other riders on lesser brands and get your Latte at Starbucks decked out like you are headed for Ushuaia. And no dirt. For the win, throw the Touratech book at it so you are "protected" from all parking lot mishaps.

We don't talk about it, but we must enforce it.

Are you man enough?

(I'm not)
    Dan Diego, elcabong, foz01 and 3 others like this.
  6. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still driving my 2010 with no issues. Stopped trying to hide the scratches years ago.

Another stereotype: the GPS/laptop/sound system with GS911, extra lights, and other gadgets plugged in. Now why is it that the stator keeps melting? :lol3
  7. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'd just avoid the first year 08, after than go ahead and buy what you can find cheaply and reliable. there is no "real" problem with those bikes that will leave you stranded. Alternator fry but you can put an aftermarket R/R that should "fix" the problem or buy 150-200$ aftermarket alternators that will last as long as your old one. we have a poll somewhere that has been renamed because of some bitchyness of a noob here. search something with "greek orgy" in the thread title, every information you'll need is in the first post.

look for a couple of bikes, post em here if you have uestions and we'll be happy to help you decide and what to avoid. Don't be afraid of higher miles bikes. these engines last easily a couple of hundred k's if well maintained.

happy hunting!
  8. Jproaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for your input. I will search out the info thoroughly-always do.
    Stator issues on many bikes...like my vstrom.
    And cannot join the legions that see Sbucks as a destination- I'm an overworked, underpaid roastery/espresso bar shopkeeper who's looking to escape....

And I look forward to the hunting- especially the Klim formal wear :D
    Reaver likes this.
  9. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to raise your limit, I might be letting my white 2010 go but not all that sure why. All the farkles including Rekluse auto clutch and front and rear TT Extreme suspension. Sweet bike and new stator and RR.
  10. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    What is your weight? Stock suspension sucks if over 170lbs - then add all your gear and kit. If you are 200lbs+ then it will be splooshy suspension... Then... Upgrades to get it where you need it. I paid for an F800 and put easily another F800 into it. Love the bike- but it has to fit you... Height, weight, purpose- if you expect slab miles- get a 1200 with cruise... if serious about adv off slab- get f800.
  11. GreyMachine

GreyMachine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can find a nice used 800GS Adventure for $11k. The Adventure features are worth it for long distance touring. I disagree with the notion that you need to throw money at the suspension, especially for your intended use. I'm 6' 200lbs and ride my stock GSA fast and hard off road and its fine.
    KSO likes this.
  12. Loutre

Oddometer:
    meh the adventure isn't worth it. Buy a camel tank for 500 extra if you need the long distance and that way you won't have that fat ugly ass and have more options for hard panniers. The screen isn't worth it, better options out there. the only thing that I'd consider better is the wider fairings up front for weather protection.
  13. GreyMachine

GreyMachine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not being argumentative, but I stand by my recommendation. The Adventure features are cheaper to obtain as part of the bike than if bought individually (comparing same year/condition GS/GSA) and still under warranty on a lightly used example. Why bother with a camel tank if you can just have one big tank? Looks are subjective, and neither bike is pretty anyway. The BMW hard panniers are very good and there are plenty of soft bag options for the GSA. And the weather protection of the wider fairing is a significant advantage for the OP's intended use.
  14. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Oh go right ahead and argue with Loutre, he needs to be hammered now and then.

Loutre....big ass? Your other bike is the Pregnant Elephant right? :ksteve

Lots love the screen, lots hate it. Depends on your location (hot or cold) and your height. The luggage racks are the same PN as the other bikes so the overall width of the ass is the same. The OEM racks double as tank protection when you remove the luggage, so that's why they're standard equipment. The aftermarket will catch up at some point.

But we love our bikes and the Camel tanks. The GSA wasn't available when we bought ours. No reason to trade up, or sideways I guess.
  15. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Is there really anything wrong with a nice KLR?
  16. Loutre

Oddometer:
    except the fog lights I don't see what is cheaper than taking it from the GSA. The GSA is 2k more expensive than the standard GS. Take the 2k and add camel you get the range, comfort seat and you get the comfort. a lot of people want hard panniers, not soft luggage so the GSA sucks at that option. Not even sure aftermarket will step up to that because there isn't enough interest (according to SW motech, Touratech and Givi) to design something that will fit on the OEM racks because they seconds up as tank protection and my guess is you're not allowed to ride without them :0)

leave my elephat in peace, I'm expecting the littling any day now :dhorse and hasn't got a big ass only big bones ie TANK you ff :fingerI'll take a measuring tape and see which one has the bigger ass :lol3

Edit: 54cm end to end rack F800
    :drums
    46cm end to end rack 1150GSA

both BMW aluminium panniers :fight
  17. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Is that one of those bikes with the perforated topcase?
  18. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Um, like ya! The simple fact that if you've ever been stuck behind one you'll wretch from that constant wet-fart smell. However, if you're into riding a big vibrator for your thrills, maybe that isn't much of a problem.
    On the up side, all you need in your tool kit is a multi tool and a hammer. Oh ya, and what do they call it, a "thingy" or a "gizmo"What ever that part is that Kawasaki refuses to fix in the design. Cheap as it is to fix with aftermarket, it'll still leave you stranded. Now we all know BMW would never do that to you.
  19. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Leave us with a cheap fix?
  20. Loutre

Oddometer:
    call it a thing or a guizmo, they call it superior german engineering.