Wondering if it's time for a 800gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Jproaster, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    the expectations I have for my equipment and ergonomics are obviously different than yours. read in the forum about the suspension... it is a theme- not just my remarks.
  2. GreyMachine

GreyMachine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm well aware of the theme and I'm saying the suspension is not as bad as people make it out to be. Can it be improved? Of course it can, and I'm looking at options to do just that, but to say upgrading it is necessary for anyone buying an 800GS/A is a bit much. As a former MX racer for 9 years, I know what a properly set up suspension feels like and for general use, it's fine.

This thread is about a guy looking to replace a V-Strom for touring purposes and is on a budget. Suggesting he spend thousands of dollars on suspension upgrades if he buys a GS is a bit off track.
    Vampir and KSO like this.
  3. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Slow down Sparky! I am not standing at a urinal.

Yes, I am aware of the OP's question...
    My response is not a catchall... check the if statement.
    Buying a bike that suits him is on target. I raise the weight of rider. I raise the consequence of that on a well established theme of poor suspension over a key weight which we all know, but the OP might not.

Yea, I know suspension too. blah blah blah.
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I like your attitude :thumb:lol3
  5. CSmasher

CSmasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes
  6. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are in luck!

7. Stephenmarklay

Stephenmarklay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 12 wee before I bought the 800. The Wee is a nice, very capable, road bike but I have to say I just found it boring. The 800 has some attitude and then of course a better suspension for dirt and that is really where the fun starts for me.
  8. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your definition of dirt orientated may be different to mine but no matter what you see in the Rawhyde videos this is a bike for fire roads, gravel and the like. Not that in the right hands it can't do the do, it's just no fun to wrassle a large bike around that kind of stuff especially when you have to worry about the parts bill when you drop it.

For the duties to which it was designed it's a great bike & $11K should get you a nice one. I paid $7K for a 12K mile 2010 example with a full set of Jesse panniers & top box. The white ones are the chick magnets BTW.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:
    I had more attention from chicks and guys with my loaner anthracit black 8GS than with my orange or white one :cry then I thought "oh well I don't need them, I build it to run rallyes anyway and solo traveling to remote places. Then on my first rallye a girl came over and said "you know that you're still young, you could ride something cool"... :hung
    diegosaenz likes this.
  10. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Ouch! I didn't think you were that old to elicit a comment like that.
  11. Sjones423

Sjones423 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I own a 2015 800GSA and for me, the suspension is fine and most criticism is wide of the mark. Sure, it can be improved upon, though it's hardly a crucial upgrade.
    KSO likes this.
  12. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the Vstrom 2013 I owned. If your roads are smooth the suspension is fine. Stiffer front springs and Cogent DDC emulators make the DL adequate for moderate speeds on dirt roads with Mitas E07s fitted. I did 10,000km on mine on local roads. I had to slow down for corrugations but it handled holes and higher speed hits O.K. post modification.

Unfortunately if you live where I do the roads are rough, potholed and often unsealed. Good suspension that comes as a standard item is a safety feature when you suddenly hit a 15 cm pothole or have to negotiate kilometres of corrugations on a dirt road with washouts. I am an experienced off road racer/rider too so I know great suspension and how it makes rough roads safer.

Why would you buy an Adventure bike to ride on smooth secondary roads like in U.K. and Europe. Image perhaps? Stock BMW 800 suspension would be fine in those conditions. Just because the 800 is a BMW does not mean it is fitted with high quality suspension.

I would try the cheap mods on the DL before I bought another bike if I was the OP.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  13. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    ^^^ good remark- at the end of the day- we are all different... To think our personal experience applies to all others is misguided.

We all ride what we like and are comfortable doing- and likely that is all different between us... So what applies to you may not apply to all.

I am taking my bike to the edge of expedition solo rtw.., others likely not- naybe commuting- and that is all fine...

It comes down to

First- rider weight
    Second- intended use

Outcome- build your bike accordingly.
  14. Sjones423

Sjones423 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the flexibility that my GS offers. If it was about 'image', surely myself being 26 would look far better stepping off an R1 than a bike normally associated with people too old for race bikes?

I like the fact that I can spend 6 hours on a day riding around snowdonia and back in comfort. I like the fact that I can go camping on my bike, or if out on a ride I can explore green lanes or dirt tracks and not come unstuck.

I can't comment on the state of your roads, though rest assured the roads in England have their fair share of pot holes that need fixing. I too learnt to ride on dirt bikes and am familiar with suspension requirements. After 4000 miles (from new) so far on my GS I'm yet to even entertain the need to splash out on new suspension. If I wanted to ride on some pretty extreme terrain then I may consider it, though to be honest it's unlikely I'd want to do that on a 220kg 800cc bike in the first place.
  15. Loutre

Oddometer:
    ohh you youngsters :lol3
    Meatn'taters likes this.
  16. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I am 62 though.
  17. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    The older I get the more I appreciate good adjustable suspension. My shoudlers and neck are easy to hurt and healing takes more than a day or two . When I look at the top of a fork I want to see adjustment. It's just part of the process for being able to go offroad .
  18. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The OP seems happy with his DL650. Methinks he should stick with it. He knows its personality. A new to him F800 really won't do anything his wee won't do. Except cost $$. PLUS. And this is important! The DL650 is happy on regular gas!
    Lyle
  19. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The OP seems happy with his DL650. Methinks he should stick with it. He knows its personality. A new to him F800 really won't do anything his wee won't do. Except cost $$. PLUS. And this is important! The DL650 is happy on regular gas!
    Lyle
  20. goodburbon

goodburbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a '13 F800 for under 10k with:

Touratech zega bags
    Rox risers
    Headlight guard
    Madstad windshield
    Crash bars
    Skid plate
    Denali lights

While it's not the greatest motorcycle ever, I'm confident in it both on and off road. I see all these complaints about suspension, but to me it's good enough. The only thing I hate is the engine's propensity to stall when under a load. That said, the only thing I need for a RTW trip is a comfy seat (and time) and I'm not scared of cracking a wheel or being caught without enough fuel like I was on my last bike.

In other words, it's a good time to find a 2013+GS with all the farkles you want, and a service contract for less than the entry price of an AT.

You will lose some road manners with the bigger front wheel, go test ride to see if it's something you can live with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk