Wood Stoves: what's new in the world of wood heat.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by A-Bone, Oct 14, 2010.

1. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For reasons I will never understand my aunt and uncle replaced the old
    stove of normal design with one that has a door opening that must only be 8" tall and 16" wide. Stove is stepped, front is low and then it steps up to a larger volume. Can't really burn it that hot if you wanted too unless your shoving sticks in every 15 min.
  2. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guilty. I clean the top and my pipe once a season. Mid season I'll pull the baffle and and clean. NEver had a fire. I do try to make clean fires, but I also want it to burn through the night. In the morning I have coals that I can start a matchless fire.
    bcbullet likes this.
  3. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    21 years of heating exclusively with wood and I'm guilty of it on occasion as well:fpalm.
    A couple years back, once the first cleaning of the season was complete, I started leaving the ladder up with a bungy cord holding it in place. Now I don't procrastinate on the cleaning as much.
  4. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May consider picking up a moisture meter if you don't have one. Quite possibly your buildup is in part from wood that isn't dry/seasoned enough for your setup. Rule of thumb is to bring indoors a handful of splits for testing and get them up to room temp. Re-split those splits and check the freshly exposed inner surface with the meter. 20% or less is optimal. Testing any other surface means zero. It would be interesting to see what you have for moisture content in your fuel. Spark arrestors are a pia. Many disappear from the cap if removeable.
    Manny U likes this.
  5. Manny U

Manny U Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my professional homeowners :lol3 opinion that is was I was thinking also. My guess is a whole lot of wet green wood burned at a low smoldering heat. I'm not judging anyone but dam that's a crap ton of soot! Chimney fire territory. I burn for 6 months straight and have a little over a handful of soot to brush out at the end of the year.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  6. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bulk of my wood is well seasoned. But last year I had to buy a cord (lodgepole) mid season that was not very dry. My FIL lives in the foothills and also brings up random bits of wood for me. It is of questionable dryness. But I will burn it anyways when I have a hot fire going.

The carbon deposit is very dry and crumbly. Unlike the gooey tar that I see seeping from some stove pipe that I know burn wet wood. Most of the time I burn a very clean fire with that sweet 2ndary burn smoke smell. I think it has something to do with the cap design that accumulates the carbon.
    Manny U likes this.
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    I had a similar situation when I'd had to wrap some close-wound hardware cloth around the opening in my cap because there were comfort-seeking suicidal birds that were managing to squeeze through a narrow opening between the cap's top and "exclusion band".

The schmutz built up on the wire in a hurry and killed off a lot of my draft, also.

Last season was my first non-wood burning season in the 38 years I'd been heating exclusively with wood. Had to quit due to my wife's health risks. Installed the Mitsubishi Hyper Heat mini-split system, and paid something like $300 above & beyond the Wintertime contributions of my 5kw PV solar system. It is much quieter in the Summer than the window AC unit and fans I used in the Summer, and was much easier (and cleaner) than feeding the stove 24/7, but I missed the "friendly radiation" on those cold Winter evenings.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  8. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Remove the spark arrestor and the carbon goes out the stack and on the roof?
  9. mrmushman

mrmushman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have experience with the US Stove Company Wiseway GW1949 non-electric pellet stove?
  10. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they still in business? I have a US Stove and can't really find repairmen or some parts. Although if nothing moves on your stove in question, might be OK.
  11. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    what's new is hemlock can be used to dry kerosene soaked chain. red oak is next to hemlock. 1st time I'll be burning the hemlock.
    View attachment 3246845
  12. Cromoth

Oddometer:
    impressive amount of sludge removed from chain 20211016_145633.jpg
  13. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finished splitting my wood today and ended by splitting a pile of older wood that had been sitting in a shady area for about a year. The pile is a mix of maple, birch and a few pines (I have an outdoor wood furnace so I’ll burn pine to keep it from going to waste). In the pile I found these odd “shavings”, doesn’t look like what I’ve seen in woodpiles from ants, etc. I didn’t see any live insects other than a few of these small light colored ones which look to me like juvenile earwigs. Most of the shavings seemed to be on the pine logs. The maple and birch looked undamaged. Any idea what type of bug causes these shavings? I’m in the Northeastern USA.

601F35CE-D773-48BC-8094-FB6F2C5F0A8D.jpeg 5672F7E0-6030-4A3B-8B41-01080D8D8A50.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Cromoth

Oddometer:
  15. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fired up the stove yesterday afternoon for the first time this fall. My dogs are comatose in front of the stove. Sure feels nice!
    HapHazard, Gimmeslack and mlbraptor like this.